What do you do about cookouts??

Options
So I went to an easter party tonight and there was such a variety of food it was crazy. I'm just not even sure how to log it? Do you run into situations like this and just skip logging it? Plug in what you think you could've eaten? I just picked at a bunch of different stuff. Hate getting off track like this but what are you gonna do.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try to remember what I had and put equivalents from the database.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I scope out all the choices, decide what to put on my plate and then I log it.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't log every single food at a cookout. It gets way too tedious. I don't go to things like that very often. I mostly stick to vegetable trays and protein. If I grab a few bites of pasta salad or desserts, I don't beat myself up about it. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and the way I look at it: these situations are what caused me failure in the past. I had a few things in a social setting that went off the "diet" and I would just give up or binge later. I log what I remember...or estimate. I just make sure to back it up with a lot of water and a banana before bed. I start fresh the next day and make sure I walk a little more the next day. I don't cut back the next day either. that just sets up a vicious cycle.

I've gained and lost the same 30 pounds my entire life...but this time around I've kept it off for almost a year- and I think allowing occasional indulgences every so often are what has contributed to my success. Rather than go crazy being "good" for a couple months...no one can keep up with that; even my trainer, who is a size 2, will have some cake and chocolate every so often.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if it's just too much I'll guess a calorie count then add 200 and quick add calories to that number.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I take time out while I'm at the event and start logging. It's good to do it while your there because you start seeing how the calories add up and then it makes you want to pul back the reigns a bit and stop eating or choose healthier choices, or smaller portions.:smile:
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    The other thing is, if you see you are going way over your calories, just stop and then you will have do better the rest of the week. You will feel better if you are really good with your calories the rest of the week and can add exercise too. It happens to all of us once in a while. I just get back on track the very next day and wait a long time before it happens again.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely log as much as you can. It frustrates me when people say 'oh I was WAY over, no point even logging it' - logging works because it keeps us accountable and responsible for what we eat. I am the first one to bury my head in the sand when a problem arises that I don't want to deal with. But I am totally pro-logging. I logged a Chinese buffet and it took me ages and shamed me, and I kept remembering throughout the day, 'oh, I had that second plate of noodles' and 'crap, I had a donut afterwards' and kept going back to log it. I was over. Now I'm staying FAR away from the Chinese place lol.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If they are only occasional, take the day off. Eat what you want and don't log it. Don't make a habit of that though.