SUPER weak core exercises? (diastasis recti during PG)

Options
Hey everyone

I had my daughter 14 months ago, pretty traumatic labour and ended up with a 4 finger diastasis recti separation (abdominal separation). It has finally somewhat healed and I returned to the gym ready & raring to go.

My core is incredibly weak and I am looking for some ways to rebuild my strength in relatively low impact ways as the muscles fatigue quite easily.

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Body weight excercises like plank and sit ups/crunches are a good way to start. You can also hold a weight in one hand and bend from side to side to work your obliques and repeat on the other side.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Body weight excercises like plank and sit ups/crunches are a good way to start. You can also hold a weight in one hand and bend from side to side to work your obliques and repeat on the other side.

Sit-ups, cruches and oblique twist exercises are not recommended :\ I feel okay when I do planks, and crunches, but I really find that anything involving isolating the middle muscles or mid & lower are extremely challenging, almost painful- if that makes sense. I can work upper and lower without problem, but whenever the middle is involved, my muscles fatigue within 5 reps.

"Q: Which Movements or Exercises Should I Avoid?
    Crunches, sit-ups, oblique (twists) combined with crunches; anything that ‘jack-knifes’ the body, by pivoting at the hip + placing strain on the abdominals - such as straight leg lifts or holds from lying on your back + similar Pilates moves"
    http://mutusystem.com/diastasis-recti-test-what-works-and-what-to-avoid.html
  • mrsdutko
    mrsdutko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 weeks PP and also had diastasis recti, although I'm just shy of the "two finger" separation. I've been searching youtube for corrective exercises and that has seemed to help a bit. This is my second child and I'm definitely in the full on jelly belly category. Hoping to tighten up a bit more by the end of this summer. If you have any advice or have found any other helpful sites, please let me know!
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Try front squats and dead lifts with low weights to start (dumbbells ).. They both work your core.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Sit-ups, cruches and oblique twist exercises are not recommended :\ I feel okay when I do planks, and crunches, but I really find that anything involving isolating the middle muscles or mid & lower are extremely challenging, almost painful- if that makes sense. I can work upper and lower without problem, but whenever the middle is involved, my muscles fatigue within 5 reps.

"Q: Which Movements or Exercises Should I Avoid?
    Crunches, sit-ups, oblique (twists) combined with crunches; anything that ‘jack-knifes’ the body, by pivoting at the hip + placing strain on the abdominals - such as straight leg lifts or holds from lying on your back + similar Pilates moves"
    http://mutusystem.com/diastasis-recti-test-what-works-and-what-to-avoid.html

Sounds like planks and flutter kicks for days. Have access to a swimming pool? Get a foam board and flutter kick on it doing laps for hours and hours.

Are you allowed to squat? If so, do them.

If you are so inclined you can do a plank with a side drag like this...

309.jpg

Do not twist. Stay straight. and good luck!