Did you wait to resize your rings???

Options
I have tiny fingers. But after getting to about 230 pounds, my wedding ring wouldn't fit. I had it upsized (from my size 4). Well now it's falling off me.. but I'm not even halfway to my goal. Should I hold off? Or should I keep downsizing?

What did you do?

Replies

• Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wait. Too much re-sizing may ruin it.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My wedding ring doesn't fit either, and I used tape on the backside for a bit, but it got annoying so right now I am just leaving it as is and not wearing it. My husband doesn't care, so I will wait until I am at a weight I plan to be for awhile, then I will get it resized.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My concern is the ring was downsized big time from the original size he bought. Then it was upsized when I got fat... I'm afraid to ruin it by downsizing again until I'm at my goal.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I got my engagement ring resized when I lost weight, and my wedding ring was just the right size. So when my wedding ring is getting loose, my engagement ring holds it in place - or another smaller sized ring holds it on. If that makes sense.
    Talk to a jeweller maybe, see if resizing is a big deal before you decide? Some jewellers are pretty talented.
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have only just started counting calories, and lost only 3 of the 29 kgs I have to lose. I am waiting to resize my wedding ring. I just don't wear it if it's too loose for now. It's not forever.. and it still means I'm married lol.. Whether or not I wear the ring doesn't change that.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i'd wait. you can get a pretty ring in the current size pretty cheap. i'm not even wearing mine because it needs both re-sizing and new prongs, which are pretty low on the priority list. i've got a cute sterling ring with 5 cz's in a band/anniversary style, and it works. (qvc) i wore it while i was pregnant, and i dont care if i ruin it by re-sizing it since it was like 15 bucks.
  • maryjmac1
    maryjmac1 Posts: 10
    Options
    My dad used to have a jewelry store and I would work at it on occasion. I would wait to re-size your rings until you are closer to your goals. Frequently re-sizing can weaken the integrity of the ring and make it harder to re-size. I know that it isn't ideal, but you could talk to your jeweler about getting a ring guard band for it. It is this smaller piece of metal that fits inside a ring as a temporary sizing. They are temporary and they kind of fold around the band to create a smaller ring hole.

http://www.viewithere.com/ring_guard/#.U1CUl_ldWSo
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I came to say the same thing as the above poster. My grandma had something like this to help keep her rings on her finger when she was old and ill and they didn't fit well anymore:

http://www.amazon.com/White-gold-filled-Ladies-Ring-Guard/dp/B007T6E7DO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1397794470&sr=8-10&keywords=ring+fitter
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I vote for the ring guard. My mom had one put on when she lost 75 lbs and the guard wasn't noticeable at all. Unfortunately, she gained back a lot of it, but the guard was very easy to remove.
  • Tinatot125
    Tinatot125 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It is worth waiting. I waited till I got to my goal and it was a nice reward getting my ring resized to match my new body. You will continue losing weight from your hands so it is best in weight although everyone in my job thought I had broken up with my fiancé
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    A lady I know who was very successful on MFP needed to resize, she did one better and got her hubby to just buy her a new rock ;) my kinda thinking lol.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Tell your hubby to get you a cute little temp ring in the meantime. My wedding ring is still too small for me and my husband is holding it for safe keeping. No matter how many 'hints' I give, he just does not get that I want him to buy me a temp ring. And by temp, I mean some fake thing under $20. And by subtle hints I mean adding all these tiny little rings to my amazon wishlist. Heck I straight out told him I needed another ring two years ago...but apparently he doesn't want to propose. :sad: :laugh:

Congrats on the weight loss! :happy:
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sad I know but I would wait...
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I would wait. My original wedding rings don't fit anymore either since losing so I just buy cute cheap silver ones to wear in the meantime, until I reach my goal weight. THEN I'm going to sort out the rings.
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would wait until you've lost the weight and then maintained for a bit, best to let your body settle into your new weight then you know exactly how your fingers are going to be from then on. I've lost 37lb altogether and 2.5 ring sizes, am waiting to lose the last 10lb before seeing if mine will be able to go smaller. I wear my engagement ring on my middle finger, everyone knows I've lost so much that it doesn't fit anymore and hardly anyone says anything about it lol. I bought two of those ring backs but they both broke, waste of money for me!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    If you don't resize it please don't wear it. In 2002 I lost 3 stone (I know, I put it all back on again - slowly) and wore my ring without resizing it and I lost it - it was the year of my silver anniversary too :( Fortunately I was not wearing my engagement ring too.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    My rings are starting to get loose. Bought some "ring noodles" (am I allowed to post that name?). Anyway, they slip on without damaging the rings. I plan to get the rings resized when I'm at goal weight.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Change fingers for now. If you are right handed the fingers will be bigger on that hand (more muscular). Or move up to the middle finger. I am currently wearing my engagement ring on my right middle finger. Will re-size when I am at goal weight.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    One way to reduce size of rings without damaging the shank is the method used for people with skinny fingers and large knuckles. Have little balls soldered into the inside of the ring.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I used a ring guard for awhile but that got loose as well and became annoying, so now my rings are sitting in my jewelry box until I feel comfortable that I'm at maintenance then I'll have them resized
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!