I hate being a woman sometimes!

Options
Not only is it harder for us to lose fat around belly, thighs, etc. but once a month we get to feel totally bloated and disgusting!!! I've had the WORST cravings the last few days for nothing but candy and sweets (and I've had NO self control), I've gone over my calories like, 3 days in a row, all my pants are tight from bloating and I haven't been great about exercising because I feel like crap!

Does anyone else suffer like I do every single month?! What can I do to help myself stop wishing I was a guy?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Replies

• nik433
    nik433 Posts: 57
    Options
    Not only is it harder for us to lose fat around belly, thighs, etc. but once a month we get to feel totally bloated and disgusting!!! I've had the WORST cravings the last few days for nothing but candy and sweets (and I've had NO self control), I've gone over my calories like, 3 days in a row, all my pants are tight from bloating and I haven't been great about exercising because I feel like crap!

Does anyone else suffer like I do every single month?! What can I do to help myself stop wishing I was a guy?! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my birth control pill, my period is only a slightly colored discharge. I haven't even had to buy a single tampon in 2 years.

Before I went on it, I was in incredible pain for the first 2 days - and it came unexpectedly sometimes. Once I had to leave a job interview because I was ready to buckle over in agony. I could barely keep my feet on the pedals when I drove home ...

If your doctor thinks it's ok, and you think it's ok (I know that health is not the only thing people think about when they do or do not go on the pill), you might want to look into it.

Or, if it's really not as bad as all that, you could just suck it up and take some advil. ;-)
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    to set aside cravings i eat lots of yougart
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    When not on the pill , I have a 10 day period. It is long. It is preceded with about 5 days of PMS that is awful... headaches, nausea, mood swings and an appetite that is never ended. By the time it is over its almost time to start the cycle all over again. I am now on a pill that is a god send ...maybe 2 days of bleeding and no PMS to speak of. It is expensive as there is not a generic but I am in love with it. It is worth every single penny. I also got my doc to give me samples to help out with the cost. Got 6 months this time around. it was great. If your not a smoker then there are not many health risks involved.
    :flowerforyou:
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    and for these reasons i got an IUD.. so i don't have to worry bout having a period.. alil crampin for a day or to.. and i mean very lil... and slight bleeding for a week.. and again i mean slight...

i agree though, i hate this time of month, only cause of cravings.. cravings can suck... lol
  • vldowd
    vldowd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Been there Done that! My endometriosis is so bad that despite having had a hysterectomy I still have to take birth control just to help manage the pain. Just too top it off, I skip the week of placebo pills so I get thrown into the cycle every 21 days instead of 28. :mad:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes. I had terrible PMS as well as the bloating, gaining water weight, etc. I started using a natural progesterone cream, and after a couple months I really did notice a difference in my moods, and in the length and heaviness of my periods. Google Dr. Lee and natural progesterone cream, because there are many out there that do not work as well as the ones he recommends. Dr. Lee wrote several books, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause" and also, "What You Doctor May Not Tell You About Perimenopause." He covers all the things you talked about; as well as our unusually high estrogen levels in the US and the causes.
  • fit_amy
    fit_amy Posts: 41
    Options
    girl I hear ya! I am right there with you, right now! I've gone over my calories BIG TIME two days already this week. I'm having really intense sugar cravings. I tried to limit my soda to 2 a week and I threw in the towel early in the week on that one. I also bought a nice 'chocolove' milk chocolate bar with toffee and almonds from Wild Oats. It's a big one, so I thought... ok ... I'll divide the bar into 3 servings and no big deal, it'll be my chocolate fix once a day for 3 days. RIGHT! I would break off 1/3 of it, eat it... and go back, break off 1/3 of it... repeat. OOPS ate the whole friggin thing but it was GOOOOD. I wonder why we want chocolate so much this time of month.

I also have cramps bad, and am out of advil and couldn't find anyone at work today that had any. :sad: Moody too... more than usual!

After more than 13 years on the pill, I've been off almost one year. Not trying to get pregnant, just wanted to get my body's chemistry back to normal. My cramps are worse now, but I figure it's worth it for the health of my body. I recommend a great book "Taking Care of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler for any woman looking for a natural way of birth control.

Anyway I totally agree, sometimes it doesn't seem fair!! whaaaaa The good thing is, in a few days we'll be back to normal! :wink:
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm like that too before my period and for some reason, after I start I'm able to get back in control. You'll feel better when the bloat goes away. DAMN HORMONES!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had my tubes tied, my periods have been UNBELIEVABLY bad...for at least three days out of the month I am a miserable human being:cry::sick:

But as for PMS...I don't have it, I'm naturally b*tchy!!:bigsmile:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Ever since I had my tubes tied, my periods have been UNBELIEVABLY bad...for at least three days out of the month I am a miserable human being:cry::sick:

But as for PMS...I don't have it, I'm naturally b*tchy!!:bigsmile:

:laugh: not here you're not girl! lol funny yes! very funny!

I can relate to being EMOTIONAL a few days (all) before my lovely visit....I get more defensive than nasty....and tired too...and bloated...and ya I guess we have it rough....but we are the stronger gender mentally anyway, I mean child birth...can you picture you s.o. having the baby.... lol...but...shhhhh we let them think we are EQUAL:wink:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

I can relate to being EMOTIONAL a few days (all) before my lovely visit....I get more defensive than nasty....and tired too...and bloated...and ya I guess we have it rough....but we are the stronger gender mentally anyway, I mean child birth...can you picture you s.o. having the baby.... lol...but...shhhhh we let them think we are EQUAL:wink:

Men couldn't hack it...that's why they don't give birth! I think I heard somewhere that women have a higher tolerance for pain...Does dealing with a "pain in the a*s" count?
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Before I decided to have a baby, I was on the pill, and my doctor gave me enough prescriptions so that I could skip the last week of pills and miss my period three times. I only had 4 periods a year! Those were the days! No bloating, acne, crankiness, achy joints... I :heart: that doctor!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    One good thing about menopause - - no periods. :bigsmile:
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, I am going through all of that RIGHT NOW! Bloating makes you feel even larger on top of all the cravings you give into. Try to remember it is only a few days, and if you can, curl up with a book and just allow yourself to feel like crap!
    I never used to baby myself before, but when it's a particularly bad time of the month, sometimes you just need to be a little easier on yourself.
    :wink: Good luck!
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes, i have major trouble trying to control myself every day, let alone when I get my period! :angry: I usually have that "I might as well" mindset and it gets me in trouble every time. "I might as well eat what I want since I already blew my diet today." Then I go way overboard and pretty much destroy everything I worked on that week. I never workout like I should..I go in spurts... thats probably not a good thing either. :grumble: I don't know how to get past it, but i just got those Quaker Mini Delights, and I'm going to try to eat the chocolate drizzle ones when I get those sweet cravings. I hope you find some better solutions than I did! I hate being a woman sometimes too, but just think about how gross guys can be... lol :laugh: (No offense to the guys!):bigsmile:
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ladies, Ladies, Ladies!
    I have the same issue! ( I love this community)
    my cravings are off the charts! I have the salt and sweet syndrome!
    I have to have it ! Like right now I am able to stick to my plan and do what I need to do but I am so scared to see what the next 2 weeks will bring! I mean right now I am doing well and I am very proud of myself and dont want to get off target. I am not on BC but I am looking into the 5 year IUD. less periods and hopfully less PMS. someone needs to develop a pill !:explode: :mad:
  • sitarami
    sitarami Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends.
    Since my very first period I've been suffering from bent over-fetal position pains. But for over a year now I have not had cramps, no long periods and I even forget I'm having a period ( very dangerous!!)
    I read a book (Your Bodies Many Cries For Water) that changed my life. Now, I drink an average of 9 - 8oz cups of water a day. And that made all the difference in the world.
    Its obvious now that when I was cramping, my body was dehydrated! God alone knows the other medical problems that I was able to avoid by daily drinking a lot of water.
    Try it!
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Myself I get the horrible cramps the day I start to flow and it horrible. After the first day where all I can really do is take asprin and curl up with my heating pad( I'm thinking of a lovely exotic name for him). All I usually need is an asprin in the morning and to drink lots of water. I have a hormonal imbalance so I get mine randomly( if at all).
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    My cramps were mostly in my back though I didn't realize it was premenstrual cramps until someone else was cramping at the same time and it clicked- Then I found out that it was endometriosis. Everything but an ovary is gone and I take a mood med (to help with blood pressure) so I don't have an excuse when I am B**tchy- actually I do- it is still called cravings and I am back to a full dose of my mood pills because otherwise I snap at my students.:grumble: