Tri tips anyone?

Options
FitJoani
FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
I decided that 2011 will be my first tri. I have a LONNNGGGG time to get ready for it, it is in either late July or early August. I know a marathon requires for 6 months to a year to train for(cause I have done one and will do more) but I am doing an Olympic Distance tri (1500 m swim, 40 k bike, 10 k run) I don't feel a sprint would be worth the same amount of training-because I am training for a few races in addition) so I figured the Olympic would suit me well. If anyone has done it can you offer any pointers? Do you hit a wall? Is there special gear other than the essentials that I need? I hear swimming is the hard part for most but is that true(I swim ALOT and very well)?

Replies

• missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Congrats on training for a tri!! I'm happy to help you along the way with any questions you have :) I've done quite a few races and will be training for my first half iron man (70.3 miles) in April. "gear" depends on what you have and what you need for your particular event-a wetsuit for example. If you do your training similar to what most marathon plans look like, with 3 weeks of hard training followed by one week lighter etc. you will probably not hit a wall. If you're a good swimmer I wouldn't worry much about the swim, it is the shortest part, and for many (myself included) it is the hardest ONLY because swimming is the weakest link for them. Good luck and let me know if you need anything.
  • FitJoani
    Options
    Im sooo glad I posted this then!!! You definately know what you are doing. I may be emailing you for lots of advice! Do you have to do the tapers like you do for races?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of tri's now and my first 70.3 Half IronMan this September. As for gear, a road bike is a MUST have and a helmet. :bigsmile: Get to work on the swimming over the winter. Take spin classes if you can't get out on the road to bike.

http://www.trinewbies.com has good info. Let me know if you have questions!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I have tapers built into my training plans (same as I did when I was doing endurance biking and running), I'm happy to help you with an outline, email me any time. I'd recommend spin class even if you get ride time, it increases your efficiency :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA
    I was seriously confused when I opened up this thread. I was expecting recipes or cooking tips....for tri tip. LOL

Good luck with your goals!!!
  • FitJoani
    Options
    I've done a lot of tri's now and my first 70.3 Half IronMan this September. As for gear, a road bike is a MUST have and a helmet. :bigsmile: Get to work on the swimming over the winter. Take spin classes if you can't get out on the road to bike.

http://www.trinewbies.com has good info. Let me know if you have questions!
    I actually have to use a moiuntain bike..my balance and stability on a road bike are completely a joke. There is an indoor pool two miles from me but unfortunately i MUST drive to it because its located where all the drunken losers hang out. I def have a helmet:laugh: