Fresh Roasted Coffee and Tea???

Options
beep
beep Posts: 1,242 Member
A great cup of tea is a good thing to go for when you want a snack

But, I am such a coffee fanatic that I get green beans from a warehouse in Houston (Lola Savannah) and roast them in my hot-air popcorn popper. After sitting overnight, and fresh ground the next morning, the coffee is so incredibly good I just cannot go back to store bought coffee. It's the kind of coffee taste that makes one utter, "This is what coffee is supposed to taste like!!!"

I have found some really unusual teas though: how about this roasted one!:

Pan Fired Green Tea

Or this one:

Gen Mai Cha with Toasted Rice (Japanese specialty of toasted brown rice, Japanese popped corn, and Sencha Green tea is capped off with just a touch of Green Matcha)

Or this interesting sounding one:

Lola Mate: toasted maté, cocoa, sunflower petals, almond bits, cactus flowers, and cornflower blossoms.

So..... this answers the question of what am I going to get my mother (and mother-in-law) for Mother's Day, I've ordered them coffees and teas from Lola Savannah http://lolacc.com/teas.html

Replies

• beep
    Options
    A great cup of tea is a good thing to go for when you want a snack

But, I am such a coffee fanatic that I get green beans from a warehouse in Houston (Lola Savannah) and roast them in my hot-air popcorn popper. After sitting overnight, and fresh ground the next morning, the coffee is so incredibly good I just cannot go back to store bought coffee. It's the kind of coffee taste that makes one utter, "This is what coffee is supposed to taste like!!!"

I have found some really unusual teas though: how about this roasted one!:

Pan Fired Green Tea

Or this one:

Gen Mai Cha with Toasted Rice (Japanese specialty of toasted brown rice, Japanese popped corn, and Sencha Green tea is capped off with just a touch of Green Matcha)

Or this interesting sounding one:

Lola Mate: toasted maté, cocoa, sunflower petals, almond bits, cactus flowers, and cornflower blossoms.

So..... this answers the question of what am I going to get my mother (and mother-in-law) for Mother's Day, I've ordered them coffees and teas from Lola Savannah http://lolacc.com/teas.html
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Japanese green tea w/toasted brown rice have been one of my favorites all my life. It smells so good.

Mate is also very yummy, this is my new favorite, but I'll have to try the Lola Mate.
  • beep
    Options
    Japanese green tea w/toasted brown rice have been one of my favorites all my life. It smells so good.

Mate is also very yummy, this is my new favorite, but I'll have to try the Lola Mate.

I've had loose mate, and wasn't really thrilled (even had it with their little sippy spoon type thing from south america) but this mate sounds really really good!
  • beep
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I just read your profile, neverbeenskinny, and I am amazed, encouraged and grateful you're still with us. What you have survived and the amount you've been able to lose!!!!

You go, Girl!!!
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    Options
    A teacher at the school where I work swears by this method of roasting his own coffee. I too love coffee and am interested in trying this method. Any recommendations on the kind of Popcorn machine that is best for this process?

By the way, love Gen Mai. Been drinking it for years. :drinker:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    im not a coffee drinker,lovethe smell though, and tea i like hot tea normally green tea i drink with a hintoforange.:drinker:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks Beepower. I am a survivor, but not that amazing. I just think that most humans are stronger than they give themselves credit for, and we really don't find our power until we're faced with adversity.

As for the mate, I like to make my mate into a mocha mate. Brew strong mate, like the kind you use the sippy straw. Add sugar free chocolate syrup and soy milk.
  • beep
    Options
    A teacher at the school where I work swears by this method of roasting his own coffee. I too love coffee and am interested in trying this method. Any recommendations on the kind of Popcorn machine that is best for this process?

By the way, love Gen Mai. Been drinking it for years. :drinker:

I think you can get directions from the coffee fool, but......... here goes.

If you have a Walgreens, they usually have the right kind of poppers for under 10$. What you want is a hot air popper that has the air vents inside around the bottom of where you place your popcorn. There are other hot air popcorn poppers with the air venting from the bottom THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU WANT.

Once you get your popper, measure the same amount of green beans that you would popcorn into the popper and start your machine. Make sure it is well vented or do it outside as it will get quite smoky toward the end of your roast. Use a large bowl to collect the chaff that will blow out -- the covering on the beans blows out as the beans expand with roasting.

You are going to listen for two crack stages, the first crack when most of the chaff blows out of the machine, and then the second crack stage. Listen carefully, the second crack stage should happen around 4 minutes. At that point, turn off the machine and dump your beans out to cool.

I have the advantage of having a down-draft stovetop, so I dump my beans out on a splatter shield over tthe vent for a few minutes to cool and then put them in a canister to ripen.

It takes about 12 to 24 hours for the roasted beans to ripen. You can grind and use your beans right away, but you won't believe the difference in smell and taste 24 hours later.