Tips for the treadmill?

Options
Okay so I want ot do the couch to 5k program but Im having issues on my treadmill and Im afraid of getting lost in my neighborhood again sooo IDK what to do. Im not fit enough to actually "run" yet , heck Im still working on jogging, but my treadmill seems soo much harder to jog on than the street, i cant find a good pace which makes my legs hurt quicker b/c Im not very light on my feet when on the treadmill and I feel like im boxed in with no movement space, I also get kind of light headed when I jog on it so its just all around not a good situation... am I doing it wrong or do I just need a lot more practice? (FYI I smoke... yeah I know huge no no but hard to quit when ur trying not to eat everything in sight)

Replies

• msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mapping out your neighborhood BEFORE you run it? Go to google maps and plan your route (the fewer turns the better probably) so you have an idea in your head where you're going. Like: Run up 4 streets turn right run 2 streets turn right... ? It's an idea or you could drive it... I say if you don't feel safe on the treadmill hold off until you've got a little more practice. Better to log a few extra miles getting lost in the 'hood than break your face flying off the back of the treadmill. :bigsmile:
  • ppennington
    Options
    treadmills are more effective if you mix it up on them. Go for a slower pace for 3 minutes or so and then go three minutes at a much higher pace and then back. I also try to mix it up on the incline...more incline at the slower pace and less at the faster pace. I also challenge myself to burn more calories, or just make it to 20, 30, 40, 45 minutes or the distance. For me, good shoes are really important too. I find it difficult to actually run or jog on them too. I'm always afraid I will lose my balance. Hope this helps.
  • Reera
    Reera Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi ahsongbird ,
    I hate walking on a treadmill. I would rather walk outside. I get dizzy also and light headed when on a treadmill. It may have to do with the fact that you are walking pretty much in a straight line and you can't go to either side, that's just my thoughts on it. I don't walk in a straight line at all lol so I really hate them. I don't really have any good tips just wanted to share my dislike of walking on treadmills and tell you you are so not alone lol.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    my trainer told me to walk at a 1.5 incline and it will be more realistic like walking on the street.. he said walking at a 0 incline is not effective or realistic
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mapping out your neighborhood BEFORE you run it? Go to google maps and plan your route (the fewer turns the better probably) so you have an idea in your head where you're going. Like: Run up 4 streets turn right run 2 streets turn right... ? It's an idea or you could drive it... I say if you don't feel safe on the treadmill hold off until you've got a little more practice. Better to log a few extra miles getting lost in the 'hood than break your face flying off the back of the treadmill. :bigsmile:

LOL ! I dont think Ill let myself fall off the treadmill but thnx for the hint lol I didnt think about mapping it out actually Ill have to see if i can do that thnx :D
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    One thing about treadmills is that people tend to run (or walk) too close to the front rail which actually inhibits your natural stride. If you want to use a treadmill a few days a week -- alternate with inclines of 3-5% while walking at a slightly faster than comfortable pace (6-7 on a scale of 10) then take it down. Then jog for a minute or two then slow it down and walk for a minute or two then repeat the cycle gradually increasing your running time.

Not sure where you live but this is the perfect time of year to be running and walking outside so I highly recommend it. You can do the same intervals described above and if you get too far out.... take a few minutes to catch your breath and then walk at a slow pace back. Pick one day per week to go a little further. You can do it. Running is just much a mental game as it is physical.

Some people start out by just walking and then run a minute or two then walk... in a few weeks you will be running more and walking less. Be patient. It takes time for your body to adjust.