DR OZ on eating fruit

Wow. This is truly enlightening.
I thought it was going to be funny.
But there are some very interesting healthy facts
included here.

Read on.

EATING FRUIT

This is informative!

We all think eating fruit means just buying fruit, cutting it up and popping it into our mouths. It's not that easy. It's important to know how and when to eat fruit.

What's the correct way to eat fruit?

IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUIT AFTER A MEAL! FRUIT SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.

Eating fruit like that plays a major role in detoxifying your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.

FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD.

Let's say you eat two slices of bread, then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it's prevented from doing so.

In the meantime, the whole meal rots and ferments, and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach, and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil.

Eat your fruit on an empty stomach, or before your meal! You've heard people complain: Every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet, etc. This will not happen if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. Fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas. Hence, you bloat!

There's no such thing as some fruits, like orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruit becomes alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did research on this matter. If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruit, you have the Secret of Beauty, Longevity, Health, Energy, Happiness and normal weight.

When you need to drink fruit juice drink only fresh fruit juice, NOT the concentrated juice from the cans. Don't drink juice that has been heated. Don't eat cooked fruit; you don't get the nutrients at all. You get only the taste. Cooking destroys all of the vitamins.

Eating a whole fruit is better than drinking the juice. If you should drink the juice, drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must let it mix with your saliva before swallowing it. You can go on a 3-day fruit-fast to cleanse your body. Eat fruit and drink fruit juice for just 3 days, and you will be surprised when your friends say how radiant you look!

KIWI: Tiny but mighty, and a good source of potassium, magnesium, vitamin E and fiber. Its vitamin C content is twice that of an orange!

AN APPLE a day keeps the doctor away? Although an apple has a low vitamin C content, it has antioxidants and flavonoids which enhances the activity of vitamin C, thereby helping to lower the risk of colon cancer, heart attack and stroke.

STRAWBERRY: Protective Fruit. Strawberries have the highest total antioxidant power among major fruits and protect the body from cancer-causing, blood vessel-clogging free radicals.

EATING 2 - 4 ORANGES a day may help keep colds away, lower cholesterol, prevent and dissolve kidney stones, and reduce the risk of colon cancer.

WATERMELON: Coolest thirst quencher. Composed of 92% water, it is also packed with a giant dose of glutathione, which helps boost our immune system. Also a key source of lycopene, the cancer-fighting oxidant. Also found in watermelon: Vitamin C and Potassium.

GUAVA & PAPAYA: Top awards for vitamin C. They are the clear winners for their high vitamin C content. Guava is also rich in fiber, which helps prevent constipation. Papaya is rich in carotene, good for your eyes.

Drinking Cold water after a meal = Cancer!

Can you believe this? For those who like to drink cold water, this applies to you. It's nice to have a cold drink after a meal, however, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you've just consumed, which slows digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks.

HEART ATTACK PROCEDURE

Women should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw. You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack. Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms. Sixty percent of people who have a heart attack while they're asleep do not wake up. Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Be careful, and be aware. The more we know, the better our chance to survive.

A cardiologist said if everyone who gets this mail sends it to 10 people, you can be sure that we'll save at least one life.

It can even be your life!

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this is an urban legend. See the link below to the Snopes web site. However, the advice about heart attacks is pretty accurate, I believe.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/fruit.asp
  • KateSD
    KateSD Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't think this is an urban legend at all. There are tons of studies regarding food combining that say to eat fruit alone for optimal digestion...you can find this information if you do any research on pH balancing in the body or look for a food combining chart. Its definitely not life or death but to properly digest and absorb the nutrients eating fruits alone on an empty stomach might be best.
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If fruit is eaten alone on an empty stomach, it will have the effect of washing and cleansing the digestive tract leaving it more capable of absorbing nutrition.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't buy is the cold water, as soon as you drink water it starts to warm in your mouth and by the time it hits stomach acid its warm enough not to solidify any fats that you just consume. besides you shouldn't be consuming saturated fats anyway.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wow...much of this information is grossly inaccurate. Its supposed to be from Dr. Oz? Just last week on his show he encouraged drinking cold water to speed the metabolism (the body has to work to warm the water up, thus it needs more energy) and yet this article claims he says something completely different. Fruit eating on an empty stomach passes straight to the intestine? Not true. Foods rot and ferment and turn into acid? Of course, this is the process of digestion. Foods are digested and mix with stomach acids so naturally they would be acidic. Heated fruits lose ALL nutritional benefit? Not true. Some nutrients are lost when heated but not ALL of them and certainly not the fiber. I'm going to stop there. WOW!

If you read this, please beware.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    i have read that about watermelon in many natural health books.
    i have also read about it being worse to drink cold water with meals.
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wow...much of this information is grossly inaccurate. Its supposed to be from Dr. Oz? Just last week on his show he encouraged drinking cold water to speed the metabolism (the body has to work to warm the water up, thus it needs more energy) and yet this article claims he says something completely different. Fruit eating on an empty stomach passes straight to the intestine? Not true. Foods rot and ferment and turn into acid? Of course, this is the process of digestion. Foods are digested and mix with stomach acids so naturally they would be acidic. Heated fruits lose ALL nutritional benefit? Not true. Some nutrients are lost when heated but not ALL of them and certainly not the fiber. I'm going to stop there. WOW!

first of all of course heating fruit would make it lose nutritional value thats the same with veggies thats why u always get half done veggies they are better steamed and it said dont drink cold water AFTER eatting not before drinking cold water before a work out speeds it up duh !! please dont think ur a dr. untill u got to school for it hun and read the artical through before u pass judgement thanks and have a blessed day!!
  • FitnessSista
    Options
    The danger in drinking cold water after meals

There are several things that should be considered before you drink cold water immediately after meals. The main problems tend to be that cold water can change the state of things that you have eaten, and can react with them to make them harder to digest, which can cause indigestion.

When we eat things which are liquid when hot but will solidify when cooled down, such as butter or some cheeses. Drinking cold water immediately afterwords can cause them to become solid again in the stomach, and become harder to digest. Normally when we eat these things the temperature in the stomach is enough to keep them in at least a semi liquid start long enough for them to be broken down. This then means that they can soon leave the stomach and pass through the rest of the digestive system to be converted into energy.

If the foods we have eaten solidify again in the stomach then they take longer to digest and can bring about indigestion and even acid reflux in some cases. Having a lot more water than normal in the stomach also means that the stomach acids used to break down the foods that we eat are diluted, and so take much longer than normal to work. This can leave you feeling tired and sluggish after you have eaten, which can tend to slow you down for a few hours.

Drinking very cold water can also cause pain to those with sensitive teeth, or who suffer from frequent headaches or migraines. Migraines in particular can sometimes be brought about by consuming something too cold for the body to comfortably process. Drinking a lot of water after a meal can also cause you to feel very bloated and can cause stomach aches. This is because some food expands when immersed in water. This then stretches the stomach and causes us pain. This is prolonged as well because a high water presence means that the stomach takes longer to break down its contents.

In terms of evolution the human stomach is designed to consume food at similar temperatures to our own body temperature. This means that things that are extremely hot or cold means extra work for them to be digested, Similarly when we eat very spicy food, it is a lot harder to break down correctly and in some people can cause diarrhea. This is because most people aren't used to eating them. this is similar to the strain that the body is put under when we eat things that are very hot or cold temperature wise as well.

The best thing to do is to drink with a meal rather then immediately after it. This also means we will tend to eat less food because soem of the space in the stomach is used up by the water. And drinking room temperature rather then very cold water is better for digestion as well.
  • precioustypeoflove
    precioustypeoflove Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @yoshehey thanks very well put i really hate when people think they know every thing good clarification!!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    Options

first of all of course heating fruit would make it lose nutritional value thats the same with veggies thats why u always get half done veggies they are better steamed and it said dont drink cold water AFTER eatting not before drinking cold water before a work out speeds it up duh !! please dont think ur a dr. untill u got to school for it hun and read the artical through before u pass judgement thanks and have a blessed day!!

I didn't say that fruit wouldn't lose nutritional value when heated. I said it wouldn't lose ALL nutritional value. Please read what I posted again. To quote the information you posted, "Don't eat cooked fruit; you don't get the nutrients at all. You get only the taste. Cooking destroys all of the vitamins." This is a false statement. SOME nutrients are destroyed. For instance, vitamin C is easily destroyed by heat. But not ALL nutrients are destroyed by heat and certainly not fiber. And again I quote from your post, "Drinking Cold water after a meal = Cancer! " Please reference your source for such a bold and factual statement. I am curious.

Some of the above I would agree with but there is so much that is inaccurate that I have to question it in its entirety. It looks like an email that was copied and pasted. I am trying to inform you and others who may read it that not all of it is good information. I am educated in this field and am a health professional which is why I find this so alarming. It isn't about judgement....its about what is factual.

I wasn't trying to attack you personally. I'm sure you were just trying to pass on information that you thought was genuine. Blessed day to you as well. :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    Options

There are several things that should be considered before you drink cold water immediately after meals. The main problems tend to be that cold water can change the state of things that you have eaten, and can react with them to make them harder to digest, which can cause indigestion.

When we eat things which are liquid when hot but will solidify when cooled down, such as butter or some cheeses. Drinking cold water immediately afterwords can cause them to become solid again in the stomach, and become harder to digest. Normally when we eat these things the temperature in the stomach is enough to keep them in at least a semi liquid start long enough for them to be broken down. This then means that they can soon leave the stomach and pass through the rest of the digestive system to be converted into energy.

If the foods we have eaten solidify again in the stomach then they take longer to digest and can bring about indigestion and even acid reflux in some cases. Having a lot more water than normal in the stomach also means that the stomach acids used to break down the foods that we eat are diluted, and so take much longer than normal to work. This can leave you feeling tired and sluggish after you have eaten, which can tend to slow you down for a few hours.

Drinking very cold water can also cause pain to those with sensitive teeth, or who suffer from frequent headaches or migraines. Migraines in particular can sometimes be brought about by consuming something too cold for the body to comfortably process. Drinking a lot of water after a meal can also cause you to feel very bloated and can cause stomach aches. This is because some food expands when immersed in water. This then stretches the stomach and causes us pain. This is prolonged as well because a high water presence means that the stomach takes longer to break down its contents.

In terms of evolution the human stomach is designed to consume food at similar temperatures to our own body temperature. This means that things that are extremely hot or cold means extra work for them to be digested, Similarly when we eat very spicy food, it is a lot harder to break down correctly and in some people can cause diarrhea. This is because most people aren't used to eating them. this is similar to the strain that the body is put under when we eat things that are very hot or cold temperature wise as well.

The best thing to do is to drink with a meal rather then immediately after it. This also means we will tend to eat less food because soem of the space in the stomach is used up by the water. And drinking room temperature rather then very cold water is better for digestion as well.

I never once disagreed with drinking room temperature water. Did you read what I posted? My entire point about the water was misconstrued. The ONLY reason I brought up water is because this post starts off claiming to be from Dr. Oz and yet just a few days ago he encouraged viewers on his show to drink cold water to speed metabolism. That is the first thing that made me question the validity of this information. I said nothing about water with meals. I drink the majority of beverages at room temperature. I don't need my metabolism increased by drinking cold water. But to claim that cold water leads to cancer is outrageous. You didn't make that claim in YOUR post but it IS stated in the original post.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Please reference your source. I'd be interested in reading the scientific study of your statements. I'm especially interested in the statement that drinking cold water after a meal causes cancer.
  • FitnessSista
    Options

What Causes Colon Cancer?
    There are several causes of colon cancer. Colon cancer usually starts with the build-up of dead cells (harmful toxins) that form a lump in the large intestine. Genetics play a part in a person's likelihood to get colon cancer and unfortunately, there's not much we can do to change those. However, another common cause of colon cancer is an unhealthy lifestyle. An unhealthy diet that consists of foods that are high in fat and low in fiber is a big contributor. This type of diet causes stress on the bowels.
    Fatty foods tend to digest very slowly and often linger in the intestines. Too much salt, sugar, and spices can also cause bowel irritation. Digested food stays in the bowels for a period of time. During this time unhealthy substances will impact the lining of the intestinal walls. Some food (especially fat) can even stick there and become integrated into the lining.

www.coloncleanseadvice.com/.../colon-cancer-prevention.html
    2010-03-04 07:39:52
    Arguably cold water which solidifies fats could infact reduce intestinal absorption by virtue of being soldified, there are numerous medical conditions that can cause steatorrhoea (fatty motions)- fat which stays in the gut lumen is thus not absorbed, which perhaps can lead to reduced weight and also cancer risk.
    Fat itself doesn’t cause the cancer it is the fat soluble chemicals (pesticides and other contaminants) that cause cancer, but also if the fat is from cooked meat, then chemicals like Heterocyclic Amines from grilled/roasted meats are also carcinogenic.
    General Practitioner
    Wirral, UK.
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If drinking cold water after a meal leads to cancer, I am screwed.

May as well eat that Ben and Jerry's!

*wink*
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This is definately not from Dr. Oz (who BTW is probably a quack for sale, but is generally a more accurate quack). This is from a philosophy called Natural Hygene, Fit for Life, etc. Most of the studies cited are from the 80's or earlier, and are totally inaccurate.

That said, these diets do work, and are healthy, but not for the reason the proginators think.

I was on Fit for Life when I was modeling; it is recommended by several agencies, and it works. But that's because fruit has lots of fiber, water content, vitamins and minerals, all good things for you. And if you only let yourself eat fruit for breakfast, guess what? You're not at Denny's wolfing down the Grand Slam Breakfast. This diet also doesn't allow you to eat carbs and protein in the same meal. Their idea is that these 2 nutrients are digested one by an acid and one by a base, so when ingested together you get neutral sludge that rots and plugs you up. The reason this is wrong: if we were all full of neutral sludge, we'd all be terribly skinny because no calories would reach the rest of our body cells, and our abdomens would be swollen with that excess sludge. You don't look like a kid from those starving child commercials? Well guess what, the afore mentioned problem is clearly not present in your life. Why only eating either carbs or protein at once works- you're substituting what your missing with vegetables. Carbs and protein are both more nutrient and calories dense than fruits and veggies, so if you leave one out and substitute with veggies, you eat fewer calories, and loose weight.

I enjoyed being on this diet, and if I had a $500 a month grocery budget, I'd do it again, but the amount of fruits and veggies I eat when that's all I'm allowed is outrageous, and I just never quit eating (BTW, you can eat all you want on this plan, as long as you only eat what you're supposed to, when you're supposed to...)

Its easy to loose weight when you surrender your decision making to someone else. When all you have to do is grab an apple, its pretty easy to loose weight. But if you're looking to learn (anything) this is not the diet for you. The originators are straight up idiots who happened upon a formula that works. Its a great diet if you want to do it, and if you can afford it; just keep in mind that your goldfish is probably smarter than the guy who wrote the book.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh...the colon cleanse philosophy. I think I'll eat some Ben & Jerry's too and just keep eating healthy and in moderation because it is working for me! I'll take my chances with the cold water/cancer theory.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    Options
    Ahhhh...the colon cleanse philosophy. I think I'll eat some Ben & Jerry's too and just keep eating healthy and in moderation because it is working for me! I'll take my chances with the cold water/cancer theory.

*sigh*......
  • supermom1114
    Options

I just have to say the entire original article seems sketchy to me and I would like the reference. I'm a senior in college studying to be a dietitian and a majority of the info seems partially or completely wrong. As you said above "please dont think ur a dr. untill u got to school for it hun" take your own advice and realize you found some article claiming to be from Dr Oz but you can never trust anything you read off the internet from an unofficial website (including this one) and that it probably has some pretty old & out-dated information.

And again...

Someone already stated this but water does not stay so cold that it can solidfy fats in your stomach. Plus fats aren't very well broken down in your stomach anyways. They become emulsified by bile salts in your small intestine and can then be acted upon by enzymes which break them down into small enough fatty acid chains that they can be absorbed. Steatorrhoea is most commonly caused by a lack of bile salts due to various medical conditions not because you drank cold water.