Calling all "apples"

Options
I know bodies come in all shapes and sizes, but I'm clearly what could be called an "apple".... larger in the tummy and on top than the bottom. Buying suits is a nightmare because I always need a bigger size on top than on bottom, and when I shop for pants it is a challenge to find a pair large enough in the waist without looking like baggy pajamas in the bum and legs. Also, I'm only 5'2... and I have a long way to go before I can fit into your typical "petite" clothes. It seems like the first place I always loose inches is in my bum and thighs (and don't get me wrong, I need to, but it wouldn't be my first choice). If this sounds like you, I'd love to hear what kinds of workouts/exercises you have found the most helpful to loose stomach fat and bring your upper body more in proportion to your lower body. I always hear that abdominal fat is the most dangerous and while I may always have an "apple" shape, I'd like to at least be a healthy apple! Thanks in advance for any tips!

Replies

• hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was asking my trainer this today because I am very "middle heavy" also!!!

she told me you cannot target the weight loss to a specific zone....she said you can't do abs every day and expect to get a small stomach, you have to lose weight all over and tone everything to see results...

It was NOT what I wanted to hear and I was very bummed when she said that.....but that's what she told me today. I was hoping for a list of exercises or foods to help slim my tummy...but didn't happen. :wink:
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely thicker around my middle, with thinner legs. I have been doing 300 crunches a day, every day. I absolutely can see the difference in my abs, and my lower tummy area.
  • LadyNay191
    Options
    I'm an apple and what has been working for me is just a good combination of cardio and strengthening- burn the fat and then tighten up the rest. Do both and you will see a difference right away!
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to hear of something that's worked b/c this is my shape, too. Once, South Beach Diet helped plus kickboxing and weight training helped me modify my shape a little, but I'm doing the same exercises now and no results yet. 300 crunches? Amazing
  • Want2bHealthE
    Want2bHealthE Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I'm definitely focusing on cardio to burn the fat and have recently added weight-training. It is a bummer to think that you can't target fat loss, but that won't stop me from doing stomach crunches till the cows come home ;)
    I also just found this information on http://www.epigee.org/fitness/body_shape.html and it seems to make sense to try to build lower body muscle.

If you are an Apple'
    If you are an apple, you will want to focus on aerobic training in order to slim down and lose body fat. By working on the lower half of your body, you can help balance out your chest and shoulders. Look to perform exercises that are low-resistance and involve low repetitions, such as:

* stairclimbing
    * walking on an incline
    * running
    * leg squats, leg presses, and deadlifts
  • Want2bHealthE
    Want2bHealthE Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely thicker around my middle, with thinner legs. I have been doing 300 crunches a day, every day. I absolutely can see the difference in my abs, and my lower tummy area.

Wow! Great job - I am definitely not anywhere near the 300 range, but you are inspiring me! Just curious, do you do 300 of the same, or do you change up the type of crunch you are doing to target your sides/upper/lower?
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Wow! Great job - I am definitely not anywhere near the 300 range, but you are inspiring me! Just curious, do you do 300 of the same, or do you change up the type of crunch you are doing to target your sides/upper/lower?

At the moment, I'm just doing all of the same. I do 3 sets of 100 reps each. I alternate with leg exercises between the sets. But someone just told me about the "reverse" crunch where you start in the sitting position, and go back down, but you put a small weight on your stomach as you're going down. I'll have to try that one, too!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree that 'targeting" areas on your body to lose weight does not work, however all of us have different body types and I know from experience that 'one size does not fit all' when it comes to which types of exercise to do. I am not an apple, but a pear and when I exercised like everyone else, stair stepping, spinning, etc. my thighs and butt would just get bigger and I would be so discouraged that I would just stop exercising entirely and just resign myself to being miserable.

Recently, I found a book at a second hand store for about $3.00 called "Escape your Shape" by Edward Jackowski. He explains HOW each body type needs to exercise. I have only been overweight recently since being sick for about five years, but my lower body had always been disproportionately bigger than the rest of my body and I shunned exercise entirely because it never made me look better, only worse.

I only now am beginning to have a body that looks well proportioned. I have lost weight while on MFP and I can say for the first time in my life that my butt and thighs have reduced in size in proportion to the rest of my body during my weight loss. I can't tell you how happy this has made me. The only drawback is that my husband has said I no longer qualify for the TWO trips for ONE rule. When I have to haul a** now, I only get ONE trip to do it in. I guess I can live with that.

For anyone out there who is exercising and not getting good results, please check out that book.