Free days, good or bad?

Options
As my weigh-in day treat for losing, I gave myself a free pass today and ate whatever I wanted. It was fun, partly because I know from being on here that I have the willpower to limit the free pass to one day. I thought maybe a once/week free day as a reward for losing might be kind of nice so I don't get burned out. I'm wondering, does anyone else treat themselves with free days or was this a bad idea?

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Anything you want...as much as you want? I could easily put away a whole plate of lo mein (then sit around a whine for the rest of the day).
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i don't do food rewards; i'll get a manicure or facial or pedicure or a massage, depending on the budget. or do an at home beauty day.
  • rokikio
    rokikio Posts: 92
    Options
    Instead of treating yourself to a whole day why don't you treat yourself to one dinner or lunch or breakfast instead. You will still have that feeling of splurging and rewarding yourself.
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    Once a month, on the last day of the month, I do not count calories at all. That being said, I will have little treats throughout the week, I believe that deprivation will always lead to giving up.. If once a week free days helps you, and you are really good the other days.. go for it. BUT don't go TOO crazy. :P
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I think giving yourself a treat is ok maybe a free meal, but not a free day and not once a week. This could easily undo all your hard work you did all week.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week. Usually on the weekend. A whole days worth if eating "free" kinda doesn't make sense for me after killing myself in the gym all week! I want this too bad!! I look forward to that meal all week & I enjoy it guilt free!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Free days, can help you lose fat, as long as you don't do too many free days.
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my personal experience with cheat days are bad. but thats because i couldn't limit my "cheating" i went too crazy! i think people definitely need a break, especially with the holidays coming up but i'd say just one meal (for me at least) if you see results with your one cheat day then don't worry about it :)
  • Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal/food once a week. I don't think a whole day would be good, I could rack up some food if it were a free day!!! Too hard to get it back off!!!
  • no1jaxfan
    Options
    I also allow myself a cheat day once per week, but only on weigh day and ONLY if I lose. BUT, I still track my intake so I don't go too overboard. It has not impaired my weight loss thus far, and it helps me stick to the plan the other six days of the week. I say do whatever works for you. If it doesn't work, stop doing it. =)
  • megaloox
    Options
    I've heard that integrating higher calorie days into your normal restricted calorie diet will help keep your body on it's toes, so to speak. This way, your body isn't constantly depending upon fewer calories (therefore burning less fat) and your metabolism is tricked. Maybe eating whatever you want all day isn't the greatest idea, but eating more than usual will definitely satisfy your cravings and keep your body alert.
  • silly_whim
    Options
    I thnk an intire day would take away from the week's worth of work. a treat for the hard work. I don't think total deprivations is the best method either though...the more i'm told I can't have the more I want. so I never with hold...I just do in moderation...but I like the idea of pedi, mani, home spa day!!! all sounds great and guilt free
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have done free days in the past but try to limit it to a free cheat meal. And that free cheat meal has went from a burger/fries combo to a burger only. I did the whole t hing a while ago and was really upset that I wasted that much cals and fat. Next time I'm doing a meal or an item only. I still enjoy my take out just not as much now.
  • happy1964
    Options
    I treat myself to one thing I really want, chips top my list!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Instead of treating yourself to a whole day why don't you treat yourself to one dinner or lunch or breakfast instead. You will still have that feeling of splurging and rewarding yourself.

I like this suggestion, I did that today by having a heavy lunch I ate Pupusas ( salvadorean food) yum! :happy:
    So this evening I made to a spin class:yawn: , & i had cereal at dinner.
  • SaveTheDrama
    Options
    I treat myself to "cheat days" usually every saturday. I don't go crazy, but I also eat what I want and I don't worry about it. I have never had any problems and I don't think it has undone all my hard work for the week and it has not hindered my continued weightloss.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do a free day once a week, but it's not a true free day. I only give myself an extra 600 calories and that's enough to eat some of the things I want that I couldn't on the other days. I use to do a true free day where I would eat whatever, but I can easily eat 3000-4000 calories in a day. And doing that would just take away all the progress I made. So, I would recommend either just do a free meal or a free day but have a calorie limit in mind.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's a really good idea, as long as you're not binging and making up for one week of dieting! I gave myself one last week, but rather than 4 slices of cake (yum) like i wouldve probably had before, i just had one for example. i think have a whole day off is quite nice tho. relaxing for one meal for me isnt really enough because ill stress and try and compensate for the rest of the day. maybe make it every other week? then you know you really deserve it :smile:
  • epoman
    epoman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that that food rewards are not good as they make you subconsciously think that you're denying yourself when you are dieting. Better to reward yourself by buying yourself something nice as a treat.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week because I find I can stick to my diet better if I have one day a week where I can eat things I can't normally because they're too high in calories. Generally mine are meals though, things like Burger King or pizza or a proper dessert after a meal instead of a diet one or nothing.

One thing i have found is that the longer I stick to eating healthily 6 days a week the more I tend to stick to it on cheat days. So after a few weeks while I may have Burger King or something else horribly fattening for one meal the rest of my meals would be healthy ones.