Garlic Parmesan Flaxseed Crackers

Options
millerll
millerll Posts: 873 Member
I'm not a big cracker eater, especially since they're usually nutritional time bombs, but I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try. They're pretty good, and all natural, with very low carbs. And they are super easy to make.

Here's a few things I learned from my first batch:

Roll these really thin, or they take forever to crisp.
I cut the salt to 1/4 teaspoon, and they still tasted too salty to me. You might want to cut the salt as well.
They are heavy on the garlic. I love that, but if you're not a fan, cut back on the garlic powder.
The site where I found the recipe recommends adding rosemary and/or sesame seeds to the mix. I'm going to try the sesame next time.
I used a pizza cutter to score the dough before I baked it to make portion control easier. I got 35 1-inch crackers from the dough.

Stats are 19 cals per cracker, with 1 gm or less each of carbs, protein, etc., and 36 mg sodium.

Flaxseed is highly nutritious and has a slightly nutty flavor. I used the Bob's Red Mill brand from the health food/organic section of my local market. Enjoy!

A great high fiber, crunchy, nutritious, and tasty snack. Good with dips, spreads, or plain.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
•1 cup flax seed meal
•1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
•1 and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/2 cup water

Preparation:
Heat oven to 400 F.

1) Mix all ingredients together.

2) Spoon onto sheet pan which is covered with a silicone mat or greased parchment paper.

3) Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Even out the mixture to about 1/8 inch. I find a straight edge, like a ruler, works well, though you can use a rolling pin or wine bottle too. The important thing is not to let it be too thin around the edges or that part will overcook before the center firms up. So after you spread it out, remove the paper and go around the edges with your finger and push the thin part inwards to even it up.

4) Bake until the center is no longer soft, about 15-18 minutes. If it starts to get more than a little brown around the edges, remove from oven. Let cool completely - it will continue to crisp up.

5) Break into pieces.

The whole recipe is 6 grams of effective carbohydrate plus 35 grams of fiber.

Replies

• Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, those sound kinda good, will have to try:smile:
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Oops...edited to correct cals to 19 per cracker, not 29.