So disappointed.

Options
This week was the most I have ever pushed myself. I worked out quite dilligently every day this week since Monday. I pushed myself longer and harder than I ever have at the gym, always leaving with a soaking wet shirt. A minimum of an hour and 15 minutes, a max of 2 hours. All cardio. No breaks. I have consumed about 1000-1500 calories a day. I figured up the math, and I should have lost at least 4 pounds. Instead, I lost .5. Things like this make me want to give it all up and have a pizza already. I even cut out alcohol, fried foods, and sugar. Very big letdown...

Replies

• Violet1980
    Violet1980 Posts: 54
    Options
    This week was the most I have ever pushed myself. I worked out quite dilligently every day this week since Monday. I pushed myself longer and harder than I ever have at the gym, always leaving with a soaking wet shirt. A minimum of an hour and 15 minutes, a max of 2 hours. All cardio. No breaks. I have consumed about 1000-1500 calories a day. I figured up the math, and I should have lost at least 4 pounds. Instead, I lost .5. Things like this make me want to give it all up and have a pizza already. I even cut out alcohol, fried foods, and sugar. Very big letdown...
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    A slice of pizza might actually be helpful. I don't know what your stats are, but if you are doing that much cardio and only consuming 1000-1500 calories, it sounds as though maybe you aren't eating enough. Are you eating your exercise calories??? Just something to look at and think about. I thought I had had a really bad week last week and it turned out I'm down another pound. Yea! Check the numbers and enjoy a slice, maybe even with extra cheese...yummy! Good luck.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Are you accounting for and eating your exercise calories?

If you were only eating 1000 to 1200 calories a day and working out like that, you were seriously undereating!! You are starving your body--sounds like you were leaving it absolutely no calories a day to subsist on. In other words, you have put your body into a starvation mode--it has been shocked and thinks it is starving, so it is holding on to whatever fat/energy it has stored.

You've got to account for and eat your exercise calories!!!

AND, don't forget,too, that some weeks you might just simply not lose any weight. You've got to take it slow, eat healthy, and give your body time to lose the weight. Since you're a woman, you could be retaining fluid, too.

BUT, my guess it you're simply not eating enough--IF you're not eating your exercise calories that is.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Without getting into too much detail, I can see two problems 1) All Cardio 2) 1000-1500 calories a day.

If you are exercising that much everyday, are you eating your exercise calories, I imagine that you must be burning at least 500 calories if you are working that long....so 1000-1500 is way too low...

You should be incorporating some weight/strength training in your workouts too. You need to build some muscle to help burn the fat.

Have you read all of the posts regarding this exact issue?

I will dig them all out and forward too you.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have done exactly the same thing, but have lost zero pounds. You should take a day off, enjoy a food you don't usually allow yourself, drink plenty of water, and then start again the next day, only make sure you are eating enough. Your body is adjusting to the exercise and diet changes, and what you need to do is change it up again. If your metabolism can't stabilize, it will keep on burning. By the way, after I took a day off and ate what I wanted, my weight went up 1 pound the next day, and then three DOWN by three days later.
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Please do not jump to conclusions.

You may have lost weight in fat, and gained weight in muscle from the workouts. Don't assume that the exercise did not have any effect on you.

The other thing is that if you are eating less than 1200 calories your body goes into starvation mode and you do not lose weight.

The other thing is it depends on when you weigh yourself during the day. First thing in the morning is different from middle of the day after having had four cups of water.

then there is the accuracy of the scale involved. How accurate is your scale?
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    In short, you are pushing you're body too hard on way too little fuel. But to go more in depth...
    PLEASE READ topic "Newbies Please Read Me"!!:smile:
    These are the links that will help you understand the what's, how's and why's of healthy living, weight loss and lots of other helpful info as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    A week is not long enough to see results. I have been working out and pushing myself hard for a month with little results. Remember, it took YEARS or MONTHS to put the weight on, it will take longer than a week to take it off.
    Keep it up though, it'll come eventually...it's a lifestyle change, not a quick 'lose weight' program.
    Good luck!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Check out this website too...about how it's harder for women to lose weight. It may help!

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=86743
  • zenlegend
    zenlegend Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wow you sound just like how i was 2 months ago. i wasalso was having a real hard time dropping any weight. even though I was doing crazy cardio and starving myself. the starving myself and cardio only was the wrong way to go.

i second everything said here. here is some things I did that followed those principles

i started lifting weights using this routine
    http://health.learninginfo.org/fitness/training-program.htm
    difference was that I made sure to do a little more cardio than plan said- about 40 minutes

i also found out I was a fast oxidizer and changed my diet to be mostly protein, "good fats" and cooked vegetables (lots of ground turkey scrambles, steamed chicken and broccoli with just a touch of brown rice , fage greek yogurt, one- 2 ). at least 1200 calories a day never less of course eating at least 4 times a day with a very light dinner, pretty heavy breakfast after my workout. the weight has started to come off first 5 lbs the first week then steady 2 lbs a week

good luck girl
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    You probably put yourself into starvation mode. Read all the post that girls mentioned.

It's unhealthy to loose so much in such a short time. Also if you'll exercise so much every day you can soon be fed up and completely give up. It's better to do your workouts 3-4 times a week and be sure you'll stick with this routine. It's not good to workout so much (especially if you are a beginner) because your body needs a rest too!

We're here for you :flowerforyou:

BTW Yesterday I was wearing my heart rate monitor during the day and I calculated that my body needs 1950-2000 calories to maintain on a not very active day. Bear in mind that you SHOULDN'T have a deficit of more than 500 so for me 1500 is an absolute minimum (without exercising). Eating 1000-1200 is not really a good idea for most of us here.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i have GOT to get myself a heartrate monitor. Ive not been seeing the results i want, and im starting to wonder if i am in starvation mode myself. DO you have the strap to chest kind?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    i have GOT to get myself a heartrate monitor. Ive not been seeing the results i want, and im starting to wonder if i am in starvation mode myself. DO you have the strap to chest kind?

I have the Polar F4 and in order to see your calories burned you need to wear the chest strap. Without Chest strap all you get is stopwatch/total exercise time and heart rate.
  • edyta
    Options
    Yes you have to wear a strap. This is the only way to have your heart rate monitored all the time and calories burnt calculated. If HRM doesn't have a strap, you usually have to put your fingers on it at it measures HR in that exact moment and that's it.
    I found a HRM which looks almost like a glove (picture at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate_monitor) but I've no idea if it's good or comfortable.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options

I have the Polar F4 and in order to see your calories burned you need to wear the chest strap. Without Chest strap all you get is stopwatch/total exercise time and heart rate.
    I have the f6, either one would be a great investment. I still haven't tried wearing it all day/night on a low activity day, but I'm planning to do so soon. I love wearing it during all my exercise I I know how many calories I really burned and then I know what to replenish my body with. Would be more accurate yet if I knew my calorie expenditure on a non exercise day.
  • edyta
    Options
    For me it was ~94 - 105 calories per hour depending if I was just sitting in fort of my computer typing or moving a little around the house doing some small things.

Than I assumed I sleep 8 hours and burn 45-60 cals/h. I couldn't use the strap in the night because it didn't want to stick to my chest while I was in bed and HRM did't get any signal :ohwell:
    I wish I knew how many calories I burn while sleeping...
  • Violet1980
    Violet1980 Posts: 54
    Options
    No, I ate my workout calories. It was just an off week I am sure. I just needed to vent. I sooo badly want the scale to start with 17 instead of 18
  • edyta
    Options
    No, I ate my workout calories. It was just an off week I am sure. I just needed to vent. I sooo badly want the scale to start with 17 instead of 18

Don't worry, this day will come soon :flowerforyou: