How much Sodium do you average a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Don't know cause I do not track sodium or sugar.......
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Probably over 3k most of the time. I don't actively track but I like salt soooo...I put it on everything.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Don't know cause I do not track sodium or sugar.......

This. Unless my doctor tells me I have a medical reason to reduce my sodium intake, I don't have a clue what it is and don't care.

Don't track unless you have a medical reason to track. There is such a thing as hyponatremia.
  • bexiesbruv
    Options
    I have high BP and try to keep under 1500mg daily. But the other very important part of this is Potassium which I try to keep high. They balance each other out apparently. When I gave up wheat, my weight dropped 16lbs with no exercise and I was able to halve my blood pressure med. Now I am exercising and the weight is reducing as well AND more importantly, my BP is coming down again.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Just checked. My mean for the last 3 months is 1400, with a max of 2400. My husband has high blood pressure and we all do low sodium in our house.

Your numbers are okay. It's important to drink more water if you're doing a lot of sodium to keep your balances right and make it easy on your kidneys.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am always way over what is set on MFP
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Anytime I eat out, is usually a bad sodium day. I'm making the effort to eat at home more often.

Potassium is just as important as Sodium. Potassium should be equal to sodium or greater for good health. The latest USDA recommendation is 4700 mg of potassium per day. Unfortunatly, that number is not published on food labels and potassium content is currently an optional food label item.

Good sources of potassium include fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, potatoes, salmon and dairy products.

Preparation can affect potassium content. For example, if beans are boiled and drained, quite a bit of potassium can be lost.

Sweat should be considered. Anyone who sweats a lot during the day needs more sodium and potassium than someone who doesn't.

I'm not a nutrition expert, but I have high blood pressure and I've studied quite a bit about this topic.