Appetite Control Question

Options
Happy Friday all you MFPers. I have a question for you, but first I will give you all a background:
-I am currently 35ish pounds down, but stuck on a plateau;
-I do 1 intense cardio day a week, 2 weight lifting days, 2 days with my trainer of what he wants me to do; and 1 day of hiking.
-I currently eat approximately 1350 calories a day and some days more, it just depends- (my food diary is public);
-I started @ 236lbs/+40% body fat and am currently @ 199lbs/ 33% body fat; and
-My whole MFP journey I have maintained my 1350 calorie intake.

Okay, my question... Days I train with my trainer, I wake up in the middle of the night from my stomach growling from hunger and by the time I wake up in the AM I could eat a horse. So on days after training I feel like my appetite is out of control and I'm wondering if this has happened to any of you and if so how do you guys handle it? I'm worried if i eat too many more calories on days after training that I'll be counterproductive and defeating all that exercise that I did the day before, but on the other hand, I'm hungry!!! :sad: P.S. I do protein shakes in the morning too sometimes.

Any input would be great!!

Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well first off it looks like you're not eating back your excercise calories, which is probably why you're hungry. You've burnt all that fuel and you're not replenishing it. You don't have to stick to a 1200 cal diet as long as you're working out and creating a deficit of some sort you will still lose weight and be a happy person cause you won't be hungry all the time.

I'll never understand why people think they have to starve themselves to lose weight. I love food way too much.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Eat more! Your body will love you for it!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Figure out your BMR & TDEE. Eat between those numbers.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    According to Scooby

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

At 5'. 200 lbs and 21 yo - I put in Moderate exercise... which it sound like you are really maybe more at intense,,, and 20% deficit (safe) you should be eating at 2112 to lose (1.1 pounds per week).

It looks like your BMR is 1703 - so you should be eating more than 1350, no wonder you are hungry... :(
  • KatieLynnCowley
    KatieLynnCowley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that! I hadn't heard of that website. I'm also new to this whole dieting thing which makes it hard to know.
    :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Your logging doesn't seem consistent. Last weekend you logged under 500 calories, and then less than 300 calories on Sunday. It also doesn't look like you use a food scale to weigh your portions. 1 cup of ravioli?

So your plateau looks like it is caused by eating more than you think. For being hungry increased protein usually helps me, and yours is very low from your diary.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Do you having something to eat post-workout? I try to get something with at least 20 grams of protein. Helps rebuild and really keeps the appetite in check. Also, the Scooby site is really good to cross check your net calorie goals.
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    Hunger is the body's response to addiction to toxic foods IE: cakes, candy, chips etc. You need to resist like cigarettes, when you quit smoking.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry the day after a hard workout, not the day of. I usually end up under calorie the day of the workout, but allow myself to go over the next day if I'm hungry.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Hunger is the body's response to addiction to toxic foods IE: cakes, candy, chips etc. You need to resist like cigarettes, when you quit smoking.

2v1ot2o.gif
  • LeahBelcastro
    LeahBelcastro Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry the day after a hard workout, not the day of. I usually end up under calorie the day of the workout, but allow myself to go over the next day if I'm hungry.

This is what I am talking about! :happy: I know the lovely lady who posted this personally and trust me the girl eats and takes out her food scale to measure out all her food. EVEN HER PROTIEN POWDER! When she came on here looking for advice she didn’t want people coming to criticize the way she eats she’s looking for someone to tell her what they do so that she can take away some new techniques to use in her life! So thank you for giving some insight on your life and not trying to tear her down!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

This is what I am talking about! :happy: I know the lovely lady who posted this personally and trust me the girl eats and takes out her food scale to measure out all her food. EVEN HER PROTIEN POWDER! When she came on here looking for advice she didn’t want people coming to criticize the way she eats she’s looking for someone to tell her what they do so that she can take away some new techniques to use in her life! So thank you for giving some insight on your life and not trying to tear her down!

Who's tearing her down, I saw some things that might be an issue. If you ask advice on the forums you get advice.
  • LeahBelcastro
    LeahBelcastro Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Okay, my question... Days I train with my trainer, I wake up in the middle of the night from my stomach growling from hunger and by the time I wake up in the AM I could eat a horse. So on days after training I feel like my appetite is out of control and I'm wondering if this has happened to any of you and if so how do you guys handle it?

Who's tearing her down, I saw some things that might be an issue. If you ask advice on the forums you get advice.

It’s not so much tearing down as it is not answering the question she is looking for advice on. She wanted people to look at her diary give advice and then state what they do. The one I quoted was the only one who really did that.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, stomach growling, then eat! You can go low cal if you want, but eat something.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Well R _wood im trying to fugure how you are giving advice but not taking it. I went through your diary and you quite frequently eat 1300-1500 cals a day but burn 300-400 each............that means you are netting 1000-1100 cals a day.....so evidentally you are starving to lose the weight also................... I just want to say what ever works for you may not work for others so do whats best for you and let that be it. No one can give anyone sound advice because we are all different people.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am always hungry after my workouts and it's normal. You are doing a lot of exercise for a calorie intake of 1350 per day. If you are tracking in MFP, make sure you set your activity level and weekly weight loss goal correctly. This way you will get more calories to eat and could save a few hundred for a late night snack.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Oh, come on. You can't be serious.

Do you think humans never got hungry before there were cakes and candy and chips?