when do you work out?

Options
i work 3 12 hour shifts a week and i tend to only workout only on my days off. do you workout on 12 hour workdays? if so, how do you manage to find the time? and the energy?

last night i planned on going to a yoga class after work but i was so exhausted that i passsed up the gym... maybe i should have just done it anyways?

i'm really trying to get this to work as a lifestyle.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I try to push myself to exercise even when I'm really tired. I find that once I start, I find energy.

But exercising four days a week is OK, too. I've had days where I'm just dead tired and I cannot get up the energy to do it. A day off (or even three) won't make or break you as long as you're consistent the rest of the week.

I think yoga or a short walk would be good exercises on an "off" day, though.
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Hi I work 12hr shifts too, either 2 or 3 in a row and I do 2 weeks days then 2 weeks nights. I just make myself go to the gym if there is something I want to do on my working days. Once I'm there its fine normally.

Nightshift is easy as I seem to have loads of time to myself but days (6 to 6) I'm rubbish and could probably go to bed at about 7o'clock. I think its tha fact that I know I can eat more if I burn the calories that pushes me to do it.

Sometimes its easier not to go home 1st, just take your gym kit to work and go straight there, if I stop and sit down its so much harder to get back up again.

It really is just getting used to wdoing it I think.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Back in the 80's.
  • MrsMills712
    Options
    4 days a week on your days off should still be applauded :)
    My husband does the 3 12s too and I know he's exhausted when he's done. I don't know what your job is, but he works in a distribution center so one day he took a pedometer to work and found he walks 15 miles each shift. Therefore, he's got quite an exercise even on his working days. Maybe you walk around quite a bit too?

I usually exercise when I get off work, so that I know it's over with and I can then relax the rest of the day. And if I just want to do something that doesn't require lots of time, I'll do some more exercises while i'm waiting for dinner to cook.

I read somewhere that even when you feel exhausted, you should at least give it a try... if only for a few minutes because most likely you'll start feeling those endorphins and want to keep going anyway.

Good luck! :)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think working 12 hours in a day is exercise enough!! :noway:

If this is a lifestyle change then, I think, you need to be realistic about it. Our bodies can only take so much! If you are knackered after your shift, that is your body saying to go take a rest.

I say, listen to your body :bigsmile:

Not a problem doing a 4 day exercise routine. After a time, when you lose weight and get fitter, you might even find you WANT to workout on a work day!!

Just be happy and comfortable with what you are doing and it will work. Push yourself beyond your limits and you'll feel tired, fatigued and unhappy. That's when we will begin to crumble. That's my take on things. Life is about balance :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I try to get to the gym 4-5 days a week, but for days I just don't have time for the gym, I make myself at least do a 20 workout video at home.

By the way.....Love your Ephesus pic. I went it 2008 myself. It was AMAZING!!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set time, I work out when ever I find the time, I know alot of people will say 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there isn't going to help. But I figure some is better than none.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Always easier if you plan it for the AM! More benefits too! Gives energy for the rest of the day,workout burns stored reserves before breakfest [ vs.normally what you have eaten all day] & its over for the day & don't have to think about it all day.[Have to workout:huh: ]
    GOOD LUCK!:happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Back in the 80's.

:-)

About the working out in the morning, there is a study out there that shows some people do better in the morning and some do better in the evening. I have a REALLY hard time working out in the morning.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings. I understand about being exhausted after your day. I missed a workout Wednesday because I didn't finish everything that needed to be done until 9pm so I had to make it up last night on top of my regular workout. But typically as soon as dinner is done I give my food 30 minutes to settle and its workout time. After school nights I do it after homework which is a bit tough considering it depends when I am done but I also don't want to make a habit of having to do 2 workouts in one night. Same goes for after the kids practices we come home eat and I do my workout. your 3 days can be your days off or you can workout and gain more energy. Thats what I enjoy most about working out it gives me the energy to get through my busy hectic days. I sleep so much better and wake up easier and refreshed.