Why do we lose inches but not weight or bodyfat% goes down?

Gallen88
Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I don't get it, how is it possible for us to lose so many inches but that scale or the bf% never moves?

Replies

• batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Hope someone replies as would like to know myself as my loss is very slow in weight but fast in inches; as I had been swimming regularly for a year before joining though it was about the muscle build up. My body fat measuring device on my new scales only ever gives me an error message.
    I am 21 lbs down & 12" smaller overall.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    This has happened in your first week? My guess is that you must be exercising like MAD!? Muscle weighs more than fat so when you exercise and build muscle sometimes your efforts are not reflected on the scale. Build muscle, burn fat. You're doing the right thing so don't get discouraged! That's why you should take your measurements as well. You're getting smaller. Just remember that. :)
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I'm not sure about body fat %...that does seem weird, but as far as the scale not moving, you can lose inches because you're losing fat and replacing it with muscle. 5 pounds of fat obviously weighs the same as 5 pounds of muslce, but the muscle takes up less volume thus making you smaller and lose inches but perhaps weiging the same.

How are you measuring your body fat? Is it with one of those pincher things, or with a scale? If it's the pincher things, perhaps you have not lost any fat from the place you're measuring ( just a wild guess, I'm not too sure how that works) If it's from a scale, I really don't know how a scale can measure body fat anyway, so maybe the scale itself is just not that accurate.
  • Muscle is more dense than fat, that's why it is important to take regular measurements and ignore the scale to a degree. The scale can be your enemy. I use the following formula to calculate my current body fat:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

I have my initial measurements so I can track my progress.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    BMI is based on height and weight so if your weight stayed the same, it won't change. Don't be discouraged, my friend. :)
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Scales that provide a body fat percentage do so by sending a low voltage current through your body and measuring resistance. The result can be affected by things other than fat, like water retention, and body heat. I think a good scale like this is worth having but don't expect perfect accuracy.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    That is a easy one! We all have the same problem. Fat weighs less then muscle, that why you shouldn't concentrate on the scale as much,use clothes.[favorite jeans]
    We all lose weight all over and not in specific areas when losing.This is why when people gain weight they don't see it because it distributed all over,not as noticable. You will notice people commenting on your loss of weight because of this.
    Keep faith, never give up,good luck in journey:smile:
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    I'm not sure about body fat %...that does seem weird, but as far as the scale not moving, you can lose inches because you're losing fat and replacing it with muscle. 5 pounds of fat obviously weighs the same as 5 pounds of muslce, but the muscle takes up less volume thus making you smaller and lose inches but perhaps weiging the same.

How are you measuring your body fat? Is it with one of those pincher things, or with a scale? If it's the pincher things, perhaps you have not lost any fat from the place you're measuring ( just a wild guess, I'm not too sure how that works) If it's from a scale, I really don't know how a scale can measure body fat anyway, so maybe the scale itself is just not that accurate.

I am using a scale
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Thanks for the Info.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    BF% on scales will vary as per the above post.

Grab some accumeasure calipers off ebay. They don't lie :) Don't worry so much about converting the mm reading to %'s as that is where you can get variations but if the mm's are dropping then you are doing well.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Muscle is more dense than fat, that's why it is important to take regular measurements and ignore the scale to a degree. The scale can be your enemy. I use the following formula to calculate my current body fat:

I don't know about that body fat chart. It's got me at the top end of acceptable next door to obese and I wear a size 7 jeans.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    :flowerforyou: Agree with everyone esle. You are toning muscle and losing fat, but the higher density of muscle means it wont show on the scale. Losing inches proves that that is exactly what's happening. And it's GREAT!! Because having toned muscles will make you LOOK slimmer, FEEL slimmer, FIT into clothes better and you will be BURNING more calories :bigsmile:

Eventually, if you keep doing the same exercises, muscle tone will reach a peak and so the scale will move again.

I also see the inches falling off, but the scale is slow, slow slow!! :noway:

I know its frustrating, but we really have to keep going and remember that it really doesnt matter how much we weigh (to a degree!). What we need is more muscle to fat ratio!!

Measure, measure, measure!! Try on clothes all the time.

The scales are the least accurate measure you can get. They are the devil!! :devil:

If you're not losing weight OR inches, then worry!! :noway:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Muscle is more dense than fat, that's why it is important to take regular measurements and ignore the scale to a degree. The scale can be your enemy. I use the following formula to calculate my current body fat:

I don't know about that body fat chart. It's got me at the top end of acceptable next door to obese and I wear a size 7 jeans.

You would need a full blown body composition lab to get an accurate measurement I just use it as a loose guide.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    A primer on Body Fat Calculations:

Least Accurate--Formulas based on measurements and calipers. They basically look at the topical body fat (body fat directly under the skin) and not the visceral body fat (body fat around the organs). No matter how many times you do them they still can't "see" the fat deep in the body. They will also vary depending on the skill level of the person administering them. Someone who has practiced for a while and has been properly trained in using calipers will be more accurate then someone who just buys a pair of calipers at GNC with no training in how to properly pinch with them, but even with proper training, there is a 10% window of variability.

Moderately Accurate--Bioelectrical Impedance (BEI). There are several ways that bioelectrical impedance can be done. The cheapest and least accurate are the scales and handheld devices that use an electrical current through half the body. The scales go through the lower half of the body and the handhelds go through the upper half of the body. Because they don't look at the whole body, they can over or under estimate body fat percentage. To be more accurate with bioelectrical impedance, you should use a professional device that hooks electrodes up at the hands and feet to scan the whole body. These are typically only available in clinical settings or high end gyms. The drawbacks to any BEI are that water levels will influence the reading. The more hydrated you are, the lower the reading of body fat %. Also, some scales don't do BEI, but give you a reading for BMI. BMI is body mass index and has nothing to do with body fat %. It is merely a height to weight ratio that is used for population classification because it is easier to acquire the numbers for large populations because you just have to ask them their height and weight instead of actually scanning their body for accurate body fat percentages. .

Most Accurate--Bod Pod, Hydrostatic Weighing, DEXA Scan. These are much more accurate but are extremely expensive so they are usually only offered at universities, hospitals, etc. Bod Pod is a way of measuring air displacement while you sit in this thing that looks like a giant egg, in basically only your underwear. Hydrostatic Weighing is similar in that you are in as few clothes as possible. You then have to blow out all your air (or as much as possible) so that you can be weighed underwater because fat floats and muscle, bones, organs, etc. sink. DEXA Scan is kind of like an x-ray or MRI. It scans the whole body and literally sees the fat and muscles. It would be the most accurate but also the most expensive.

Now, to actually answer your question. First of all, it would depend on how you are measuring body fat. If it is with a scale, is it actually body fat or BMI? If it is BMI, it won't change unless your weight does regardless of what your body fat is doing. If it is actually body fat, you'd have to make sure you are at the same hydration level as the previous time you stepped on the scale to make sure you are comparing accurately. (Some scales tell you hydration level.) If indeed you are exactly the same hydration level and body fat percentage, then you are probably just firming up the muscles. When you firm up muscles, you still have the same amount of muscle fibers and those fibers have either hypertrophied or are maintaining more of a contraction then previously. By doing either of those things, they act like a girdle in that they squeeze in the fat that is underneath them. Therefore, you can lose inches, but not really lose anything yet. If you quit using those muscles, they'll lose their girdle effect.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Muscle is more dense than fat, that's why it is important to take regular measurements and ignore the scale to a degree. The scale can be your enemy. I use the following formula to calculate my current body fat:

I got some crazy results too. Apparently 31%.

I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/bodyfatCalculator.htm for estimates with calipers and I believe it is optimistic as it puts me at 6%. I think I am actually around 13ish.
This discussion has been closed.