Can't Loose no matter what I change

Options
So I realized in October I needed to loose some weight, I started going to the gym 5 days a week, lifting weights and running. I didn't see any results. I still go but I've gained another 5 lbs. I cut out most carbs, and I'm trying to cut out all unhealthy foods. Anyone else have any good ideas? I'm a little lost....

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you currently logging your food?

Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us?

How many calories are you eating?

How are you measuring your portion sizes? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups/spoons, or eyeballing your portion sizes?

Are you eating back any of your earned exercise calories?

If so, what method are you using to estimate your calories burned? MFP, gym machine estimates, or a heart rate monitor?
  • kwjv12
    kwjv12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am currently logging everything I eat. I would open my diary for you. I'm trying to eat at a minimum 1300 calories a day. I have been eyeballing portions. I have not been eating back all of my earned exercise calories. I have been estimating my calories burned based off the average between my fitness pal and the gym machine estimates as well as my heart rate monitor.
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You want to lose weight so your clothes are loose.

You can't do that by eye-balling portions.
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I have been eyeballing portions.
    Maybe you have ... largish eyeballs. ;)
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I went back about a month in your diary. There are a lot of missing days and partially logged days. Until you get serious about your logging, it's hard to really give advice, but I would guess that you're eating more than you think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • gwencakes
    gwencakes Posts: 15 Member
    Options

haha!
  • gwencakes
    gwencakes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? My nutritionist told me to go for 1300 a day. I'm 5' 7", 204 lbs. Maybe 1300 is too much for you..?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I once saw a gag gift that may be able to help you loose.

PM me for deets
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? My nutritionist told me to go for 1300 a day. I'm 5' 7", 204 lbs. Maybe 1300 is too much for you..?

The OP won't know if 1300 is too much until they actually ensure they are eating only 1300 with accurate logging of intake.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and Im confused why you're frustrated. You ate 100 grams of sugar one day. Your diet is almost entirely processed food and you've been very inconsistent with your tracking. I really feel for the person who is eating clean, eating enough, and exercising their butt off for a month without any losses but not someone who is eating fast food every day and hasn't been logging consistently. Cut out of the sugar and processed crap, track your food consistently for at least two weeks before expecting a loss, drink only water for liquids (no soda, that stuff is poison, not even good in moderation), and eat all your calories but eat nutritious whole foods. Not protein powders, not power bars, or pizza. Fruit, vegetables, whole grains, meat, legumes, in their whole forms. You will see a loss. I guarantee it.
  • JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far... Also don't be fixated on a number on a scale... Look at the mirror and measuring tape to see changes that matter most...
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and Im confused why you're frustrated. You ate 100 grams of sugar one day. Your diet is almost entirely processed food and you've been very inconsistent with your tracking. I really feel for the person who is eating clean, eating enough, and exercising their butt off for a month without any losses but not someone who is eating fast food every day and hasn't been logging consistently. Cut out of the sugar and processed crap, track your food consistently for at least two weeks before expecting a loss, drink only water for liquids (no soda, that stuff is poison, not even good in moderation), and eat all your calories but eat nutritious whole foods. Not protein powders, not power bars, or pizza. Fruit, vegetables, whole grains, meat, legumes, in their whole forms. You will see a loss. I guarantee it.

Bullroar. The OP could be eating just fruit, veggies, grains, meat etc and if they're consuming more calories than they burn it'll result in weight gain. You can absolutely include sugar, diet pop, pizza, bars, protein powders etc in your diet (along with whole foods) and lose quite effectively provided that you are keeping your caloric intake below your TDEE.

OP, as the others have said, you must weigh and measure your food - whatever it is you choose to eat - and log consistently before you can expect to understand what you need to tweak to achieve your goals. Figure out the "how much" part first - worry about the "what to eat" part later.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You're right about the consistent logging.

Noooot so much about sugar, fast food, power bars, protein powder, and pizza. Nice try though.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

It's entirely possible to lose weight eating fast food, processed foods, soda, protein powders and bars, and pizza as long as those things are accounted for and fit into one's nutritional goals. Don't overcomplicate this. The first thing that the OP needs to do is get a handle on logging accurately and staying within their caloric needs.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Bullroar. The OP could be eating just fruit, veggies, grains, meat etc and if they're consuming more calories than they burn it'll result in weight gain. You can absolutely include sugar, diet pop, pizza, bars, protein powders etc in your diet (along with whole foods) and lose quite effectively provided that you are keeping your caloric intake below your TDEE.

OP, as the others have said, you must weigh and measure your food - whatever it is you choose to eat - and log consistently before you can expect to understand what you need to tweak to achieve your goals. Figure out the "how much" part first - worry about the "what to eat" part later.

What she said!

Sure for health reasons and for the most perfect and efficient results possible you should cut out all "bad stuff" completely and only eat "good stuff"... you SHOULD have a perfect diet and be a perfect person in all ways....

....now back to reality; you simply need a calorie deficit to start actually losing weight. Weigh and measure everything. Try to hit your macros for health purposes. It's not rocket science or hard or only something the perfect special organic non processed vegan guru can do. Most of us have all kinds of "bad stuff" in our diets and only workout a fraction as much as we could or should and still lose weight because calories in < calories out and are relatively healthy because we aim for macros and move around more.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

You're right about the consistent logging.

Noooot so much about sugar, fast food, power bars, protein powder, and pizza. Nice try though.

+1 ...so much

I'm another "YOU MUST LOG" post.

This is a calorie counting website, as I see it. No point in using it to try and lose weight unless you're calorie counting. And no point in doing it unless you get serious and log every bite, every day.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options

He..heeh hehehehe hehehhe
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

ummm Chipotle, Moe's, Easter candy, a day of nothing logged, and so on...

pot/kettle
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

ummm Chipotle, Moe's, Easter candy, a day of nothing logged, and so on...

pot/kettle

^^^^I <3 you!! hahahaha!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

What he said!

Sure for health reasons and for the most perfect and efficient results possible you should cut out all "bad stuff" completely and only eat "good stuff"... you SHOULD have a perfect diet and be a perfect person in all ways....

....now back to reality; you simply need a calorie deficit to start actually losing weight. Weigh and measure everything. Try to hit your macros for health purposes. It's not rocket science or hard or only something the perfect special organic non processed vegan guru can do. Most of us have all kinds of "bad stuff" in our diets and only workout a fraction as much as we could or should and still lose weight because calories in < calories out and are relatively healthy because we aim for macros and move around more.

Despite the awesome guns, cmeirun is *so* not a he.