Maintenance Idea

Options
Hey, so I have been having a tough time with maintenance and all the counting. I still drop weight which is scaring me now. I was thinkin about this... Could I stop counting, set my 5lb weight range and weigh myself every week. When/if I hit the top of the weight range, I will cut back/use MFP again. But if not I'll just keep going. Is this a workable idea?

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Absolutely -- just stay on top of weighing in as you have planned. Everyone's different, but I'm a believer of daily weigh-ins (without getting too worked up about natural fluctuations).
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Basically what I want to do is tr to hit a moderation of not so healthy and healthy choices together every day (instead of 100% healthy). Then I'll just make sure and watch everything with my weight. So that's fine? It seems like that kid of maintenance is so easy that I must be oversimplifying it but maybe not...
  • anask4
    anask4 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Basically what I want to do is tr to hit a moderation of not so healthy and healthy choices together every day (instead of 100% healthy). Then I'll just make sure and watch everything with my weight. So that's fine? It seems like that kid of maintenance is so easy that I must be oversimplifying it but maybe not...

Yeah its really surprising how hard it can be to eat enough to maintain ur weight after eating at a deficit for so long. As long as you hit your macros, especially protein, you can have treats in moderation. Just dont lose control.
  • supermumincanada
    supermumincanada Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem myself when I hit maintenance, still dropped weight even though wasn't trying to. I've been at maintenance for over a year now, and I give myself a window up to 126 lbs and then will really watch after that. I do still count calories the majority of the time, although not too strictly, and not much this week cause am on ma holidays!!!! After all the hard work to loose the excess weight definately don't wanna put it all back on again! xo
  • dpr73
    Options
    It really is hard to hit my maintenance when counting. I think just not worrying about it but keeping an eye on my weight is the way to go. It feels like so much less stress!
  • dpr73
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with this method am been successful with it?
  • dpr73
    Options
    Bump to hear more opinions on this method.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds about 10 years ago. I didn't strictly count calories to lose, and I certainly didn't count in maintenance. (While losing, I usually just wrote down what I ate each day to be mindful.) I kept nearly all of it off permanently. It was only in the last few years--when I stopped weighing in daily--that the scale started to creep up a few pounds. That's what brought me to MFP for a re-commitment, and I ended up losing an additional 40 pounds.

While I maintained before, I did have a range or max weight in mind. I weighed every day. I kept working out a lot. I ate healthy for the most part and was really successful with moderation. Especially while I was on the dating scene, I found that I often indulged on weekends and then balanced things out by eating lighter during the week. I never felt deprived during the week--just back on track.

Just keep up your good habits, stay on top of your weight/clothes feel, and you should be fine.
  • dpr73
    Options
    I just started realizing that I'm not gonna regain 60lbs all of a sudden and as long as I keep an eye on everything and stay dedicated I'll be fine! After yesterday (my first crack at this), I am actually feeling hunger again (haven't really had that for a while) I think I actually hit my maintenance number yesterday just by listening to what my body needs but eating in moderation. It's very fulfilling.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I have been having a tough time with maintenance and all the counting. I still drop weight which is scaring me now. I was thinkin about this... Could I stop counting, set my 5lb weight range and weigh myself every week. When/if I hit the top of the weight range, I will cut back/use MFP again. But if not I'll just keep going. Is this a workable idea?
    maintenance takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

The only way to know if the above plan will work for you is to try it. You've learned so much here at MFP, and your weekly weigh-in will keep you accountable. Do it!

If you're scared, read this amazing post. Knowledge is power: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for a few months now, and I don't count calories anymore. I weigh every day and stay within 2 or3 pounds of my goal weight. I eat healthy foods and watch my portions every day, and have treats once in a while. When we eat out I try to pick healthy foods, but sometimes I splurge and have something I would not normally eat, but still watch my portions, usually bringing some home for another meal. I also exercise pretty much every day with a rest day thrown in when I really need it. It works for me.:smile:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Something I've realized as I lost weight - I eat pretty much the same way during the week because I work. My breakfasts and lunches are almost always the same. We have the same set dinner plans, too. The only leeway I have is the weekends. That's when we eat out or have company. It makes it easier to maintain, I think. I'm not actually "maintaining" because I want to lose a few more pounds, but I am maintaining because my deficit is very small ( no more than a couple hundred calories a day).

I feel like I have trained myself to eat amounts of food that work for me over the last year and a half. Now I just have to trust myself to keep going with what I have learned. You can do it, too.

Also, even if I didn't count calories, I would keep up generally with macros - ie. breakfast should have a serving of protein, a serving or 2 of carbs and a serving of fat, as well as a fruit. I started this way and plan all of my meals around this.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for a few months now, and I don't count calories anymore. I weigh every day and stay within 2 or3 pounds of my goal weight. I eat healthy foods and watch my portions every day, and have treats once in a while. When we eat out I try to pick healthy foods, but sometimes I splurge and have something I would not normally eat, but still watch my portions, usually bringing some home for another meal. I also exercise pretty much every day with a rest day thrown in when I really need it. It works for me.:smile:

I do essentially do the same thing. OP, as you said, it's physically impossible to regain 60 pounds in a few days. Everyone is different. I cannot weigh and measure my food everyday for the rest of my life. For me, that's not a healthy relationship with food. I continue to log my food everyday, mostly because I want to keep an eye on my macros and micros. It doesn't bother me that my daily calorie count isn't as precise as it was when I was losing weight. The scale and how my clothes fit tell me if I'm still on track. I've got maintenance down.

I know most people regain the weight that they've lost. I don't care about that daunting statistic. That won't be me. People regain the weight because they slip back into their old unhealthy habits and avoid things like the scale. As long as you have "a line in the sand" and commit to making adjustments as needed, you're good!

Congrats on getting to maintenance!
  • dpr73
    Options
    Do you guys think I should put my range at 135-140 (I am currently 135)? Or should my range be wider- something like 135-145?
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a 5 pound range rather than 10 pounds. If 135 is your target weight, maybe something like 133 to 138? But 135 to 140 would be fine as well.

Also, keep in mind that if you lift weights and push yourself, over time you'll likely gain muscle weight that will show up on the scale. This will happen only slowly and with considerable effort, but it's something to be aware of if you strength train. Glycogen and water fluctuations will also affect your scale weight. All weight gain isn't fat.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My grandma did this all her life. She was very serious about maintaining her weight. Every day she would weigh herself. If she was up a pound or two she would watch what she ate. If she was down, she didn't worry about it. She weighed around 140 her entire life--right up until the day she died. The key is being vigilant. And maybe not weigh yourself every single day like she did, but weekly would be good.
  • dpr73
    Options
    I would suggest a 5 pound range rather than 10 pounds. If 135 is your target weight, maybe something like 133 to 138? But 135 to 140 would be fine as well.

Also, keep in mind that if you lift weights and push yourself, over time you'll likely gain muscle weight that will show up on the scale. This will happen only slowly and with considerable effort, but it's something to be aware of if you strength train. Glycogen and water fluctuations will also affect your scale weight. All weight gain isn't fat.

Well essentially I'll watch my weight to see when it becomes consistently 140. Then I'll cut back but only then.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    If 135 is what you want to stay at, I would set 130 &140 as your triggers.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely, as above.

However, I'd be tempted to try to make yourself eat more, slowly upping calories (say 100-200) extra each week, depending on how much you are losing) and keep logging for a bit longer.

This way hopefully you can get a better idea of the sort of food and amounts of that you need to 'maintain'.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    A couple things to know about entering maintenance:
    1. You might still lose weight for the first couple days, weeks despite eating more because the deficit you created kind of acts like a black hole. :P It takes some time to become energy balanced again.

2. You should EXPECT to fluctuate 5 lbs - 10 lbs your entire life. You shouldn't restrict one day because you weigh in more heavily- it's all waste and water.

3. You should be able to maintain on anywhere from 2000-3000 calories. The average daily energy expenditure for the non-restrictive sedentary eater is 2,200. Any less, and you're trying to maintain a weight too far from your set point and you can cause massive internal damages living like that.