help choosing the right activity tracker, at the right price

Options
I have been searching for some good activity trackers but price is an issue to atm, while fitbit are the popular choices they are quite pricey, but i have found 2 products very similar at around half the cost but unsure if should get one because of the saying "get what you pay for"

Was hoping some of you may know more about them as I have never used activity trackers before, or maybe some of you own one

the first is called XNFit
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XNFit-The-Clip-Activity-Tracker/dp/B00EPFDXVY/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1397860526&sr=1-4&keywords=fitbit

the other Fiturbo U3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiturbo-U3-Activity-Tracker/dp/B00GIDLLVA/ref=sr_1_6?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1397860526&sr=1-6&keywords=fitbit

They both seem to be quite similar to fitbit, should i try one of these? or save and get a fitbit as it a better name? or is there another that you recommend

thank you

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Zip is US$59.95.

Look for a used one on Craigslist or eBay, now that so many New Year's resolutions have worn off.
  • Debbi2309
    Debbi2309 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thank you, will keep an eye out hopefully find one cheap,
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should go with a FitBit. I have the flex, which you can get on ebay for $79. It is well worth the price - I don't know how I managed without it before. :happy:
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    If you do get a Fitbit, MFP's Fitbit Users group is full of great info to help you get the most out of it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    not to Hijack the thread or go way off course but why Fitbit over Samsung Gear Sport, Or Nike Fuel band. right now I am using my phone for what it can do but was thinking off adding an external monitor. Was considering the Samsung
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    It's pretty much personal preference. I have a Fitbit Flex & Jawbone UP24. I need a wrist-worn tracker—I'd forget to wear the others, &/or put them in the wash.

Also, they both sync with MFP & other apps.
  • Debbi2309
    Options
    I have only heard of fitbit really, heard of few others but mainly get fitbit recommended, if are any others that people recommend thats great, just wondering really if anyone used these other cheaper ones as the seem a lot like fitbit only a lot less in price, but that may reflect how reliable they are, Im not overly fussed about them connecting to mfp altho it is handy and saves you manually inputting everything (some nights that can be a pain) thinking i may just need to save up and get a decent one.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at these as well, but what and how you're using it seems to make a big difference as to what kind of tracker you buy. I'll keep an eye on the thread while I'm shopping around.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Im not overly fussed about them connecting to mfp altho it is handy and saves you manually inputting everything (some nights that can be a pain) thinking i may just need to save up and get a decent one.
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator.

When you connect your accounts, MFP uses your Fitbit burn rather than your activity level to calculate your calorie goal.
  • Debbi2309
    Options
    It wont be used for tracking anything major just so i can get a more accurate indication of how many steps i take in typical day (school walks, and walks to walk, and while at work as am on my feet alot) as at the min its all guess work (not great) i use a polar ft4 hrm to track my heart rate and calorie burn when i workout so use that to help me to achieve my calorie deficit for the day,

that does seem like a very handy thing as i am more active other days so i know my TDEE will be a lot more