do calories matter?

Options
So I was reading an article on how 'calories don't matter if they come from healthy and nutritious food'. Do you guys think this is true? Let me know please

Replies

• spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Wanting to stir up a little forum excitement this lovely Friday night? :smile:
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Here's my stir:
    Of course they matter. All calories matter, whether from unhealthy or nutritious food. Some foods that I don't bother calorie counting though, are dill pickles, cucumber, celery and sugarfree Jello to name a few.
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    Well what I found was that I was starving all of the time until I ate more real food, and found that I literally could not overfill myself. It's like the reaction I had to the brown rice and kale as opposed to the white bread and bagged salad was biological, my body was telling me I was full and even desserts, my usual favorite thing, seemed much less appealing. Even after, like, a half an hour. But obviously if a person is able to bust through that feeling and get more calories in then they will maintain or gain. IME, though, that 70 cals of kale will totally offset my cravings for a 220 cal candy bar. Sometimes I take honey, yogurt with preserves, or coconut oil treats instead.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    That's broscience nonsense. All calories matter, but some things are better for your body in general than others. And you get more food out of healthier things because they're typically less calories, but really it's all about deficit for weight loss.

That being said, you don't just want to eat at deficit by consuming donuts and m&m's all day. Not good for your body.
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Of course they matter.... Don't fall for that Taubs ****! Carbs are good eat the freaking carbs! Eat the carbs! Just eat! Calories matter all the time but pop tarts are a free food so eat those any time as they don't count.

caloriememe.jpg
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    So I was reading an article on how 'calories don't matter if they come from healthy and nutritious food'. Do you guys think this is true? Let me know please

Is your question serious ?
    From your previous posting history I gather you might not be. You are 95 pounds one day, 90 the next and 115 pounds on yet another occasion. According to your previous posts you eat either 2200 calories or 2700 and you are aiming for 3000 and you are 5' 3" tall.....see why I can't take you all that seriously ? I feel kind of bad for those who take their time and make the effort to answer you....
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That's broscience nonsense. All calories matter, but some things are better for your body in general than others. And you get more food out of healthier things because they're typically less calories, but really it's all about deficit for weight loss.

That being said, you don't just want to eat at deficit by consuming donuts and m&m's all day. Not good for your body.

My body doesn't know if I am eating donuts or broccoli... I get high on donuts and gassy on broccoli so I choose donuts LOL
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    she asks . . . on a calorie counting website.
  • TSnelson
    TSnelson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    300 calories are in a mcdonalds cheeseburger. i can eat a 5-6 cup salad with grilled chicken... thats a lot of salad. anyway i joke that the cheeseburger calories go straight to your back boobs and the salad goes to the right places. the body knows how to handle real food but processed food not so much. so its where the calories come from that does the body good. in the end tho its still 300 calories.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Calories don't matter just like money doesn't matter . . .
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    300 calories are in a mcdonalds cheeseburger. i can eat a 5-6 cup salad with grilled chicken... thats a lot of salad. anyway i joke that the cheeseburger calories go straight to your back boobs and the salad goes to the right places. the body knows how to handle real food but processed food not so much. so its where the calories come from that does the body good. in the end tho its still 300 calories.

Sigh

Everything *headdesk* until the last sentence.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I can't help myself....

In.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes. Calories count.
    Such things are said because no one anticipates the ignorance of the human race. There are warnings on hair dryers that tell people not to use them in the shower. Why? Because someone probably did.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Sigh

Everything *headdesk* until the last sentence.

wwowww...yes...
    So I just graduated and I've been eating every single last meal for the last 2 weeks at mcdonalds and wendys....This is what happened:
    20140322_192033.jpg
    ^childrens size 10 outfit bought for my 6 yr old niece. I think my back fat is doing just fine.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

No.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    -2/10

Oh come along OP you're supposed to at least try & make it interesting :yawn:

Back off to troll school for you...............
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options

You must be joking.

Food is energy. Your body recognizes energy as energy--whether or not those calories come from a burger or salad. Labeling things as "good" or "bad" is a sure way to develop an ED. There are only bad quantities. In terms of body composition, it really doesn't matter. But with respect to overall health, it'd be more optimal to consume nutrient-dense food for the MOST part -- while fitting in calorie-dense food into your daily caloric allowance (in moderation).
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Been on this for about 2 weeks and it's awesome.