What was your hardest workout ever?

Options
yoginimary
yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
My second hardest class ever, was yesterday - a boot camp interval class with only two students in it. I was very lucky the other student was new to the gym because she slowed us down a bit.
The class was suppose to be interval, but the teacher mentioned she was going to do boot camp - the "interval" was 1 min upper body, 1 minute lower body, 1 minute cardio - notice there isn't an active recovery interval?:noway: Upper body was variations on plank/push up/crunches, lower body was squats and lunges, cardio was so evil I cannot mention it without spreading bad vibes. All of it was rather fast - lunges with jumping switching legs, squats with jumps, etc.
Before the class started, I had asked the teacher if I could do the work out sore (as my butt and chest hurt from yesterday), she said no problem. She was wrong. My upper abs hurt so much I thought I would be ill. The other student left the class after 35 minutes - I lasted 45 before I had to tell the teacher I had had enough.:blushing:

I will be back next week. I will make myself stronger.

My hardest class ever was many years ago when I never exercised and was a smoker. It was a class called Power Kick Box. It ended with 50 full on push-ups. I was exhausted for 3 DAYS afterwards. Really, I've never had that kind of reaction before or since. It was like the flu.

So what was your hardest workout ever? Show me how wimpy I am :laugh:

Replies

• yoginimary
    Options
    My second hardest class ever, was yesterday - a boot camp interval class with only two students in it. I was very lucky the other student was new to the gym because she slowed us down a bit.
    The class was suppose to be interval, but the teacher mentioned she was going to do boot camp - the "interval" was 1 min upper body, 1 minute lower body, 1 minute cardio - notice there isn't an active recovery interval?:noway: Upper body was variations on plank/push up/crunches, lower body was squats and lunges, cardio was so evil I cannot mention it without spreading bad vibes. All of it was rather fast - lunges with jumping switching legs, squats with jumps, etc.
    Before the class started, I had asked the teacher if I could do the work out sore (as my butt and chest hurt from yesterday), she said no problem. She was wrong. My upper abs hurt so much I thought I would be ill. The other student left the class after 35 minutes - I lasted 45 before I had to tell the teacher I had had enough.:blushing:

I will be back next week. I will make myself stronger.

My hardest class ever was many years ago when I never exercised and was a smoker. It was a class called Power Kick Box. It ended with 50 full on push-ups. I was exhausted for 3 DAYS afterwards. Really, I've never had that kind of reaction before or since. It was like the flu.

So what was your hardest workout ever? Show me how wimpy I am :laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Back in my hard-core 20s, when karate was my life, I used to go to all-day clinics. I went to a lot of what I remember as "living master" (essentially the leader of a certain style of karate clinics). I remember one led by Morio Higaonna where:

I was the only woman in a group of about 200 men. (talk about putting my competitive spirit back up). I threw up my breakfast, nearly fainted more times than I could count, and did pushups on my knuckles (which at the time were pretty calloused) until they bled. I was literally in bed for the next week. (and I was in serious shape when I was a karate girl) I also remember sucessfully doing a flip on a big macho dude, then apparently looking cocky and getting taken down by the master himself. I didn't even see him coming, but he gave me a hand up and then patted me on the shoulder. Sort of a "good job, now don't get cocky" humbling/praising move. (he didn't speak any english, so butt-kicking was our common language)

I still remember the kick-*kitten* feeling of leaving after actually finishing that day. Ah, the angry days of youth.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Probably hiking up a "mountain" last year with a 30 pound weight (my son) on my back! Today's work out kicked my butt. 65 Minutes of Taebo amped with the butt work out. OW! And I actually sweated a lot. It's hard for me to sweat.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    40 mins of jogging, 45 mins of Tae Bo & 30 mins of Turbo Jam... felt soooo good after.:bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    When i did powerlifting back in high school, the day I set my high school record (which still stands unbroken because they took out the machine I used). I leg-pressed 1150 lbs 15 times. I also couldn't walk quite right for the next week. Most likely the harshest workout I've ever put myself through, but its neat seeing my name on the wall in the weight room :smile:
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    My hardest class was bootcamp with a really good personal trainer. I was one of only 2 students in the class. The other student was in really great shape, (and totally hot, which motivated to keep going so I could be as hot as her some day!). We ran outside around the gym twice (1/2 mile), then went into this crazy stair routine. We had to run up and down these stairs 4 times, then do 20 squats, then 20 box jumps, then back to the stairs with no break. It was nuts. I almost threw up. By the end of the 6 week course, I was in way better shape. I'm taking another boot camp class now (10 people in it) and I am the most fit female in there! :)
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I try to block such memories from my mind but i remember working out with a pro body builder/ trainer many years ago at golds gym in Hawaii. Legs......i vomited and couldnt walk for days.

second was a female trainer at a boot camp style gym in W los angeles. i really dont remember all the exercies but i do remember thinking i would ask for one of the guys next time.. she hurt me bad.

Tim
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    Three hour long circuts in one day....i threw up
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    any day that i used to train for rugby
    you'd have to run around the goal post 5 times for warmup and then do drills, sprints, burpees, crunchs, hills, throwing drill and them play a scrimmage. yuck.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    OMG that is awesome Mary. I don't know if I would have been able to last that long. I can't do anything that I would have to jump around.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Lots of throwing up - :laugh:
    I could never go that far, I'm just not that competitive
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    In my experience, that just happened. I was as surprised as the garbage can.

Whoops. . .did I just cross the TMI threshold?

Again?:noway:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Cardio Kickboxing and Bootcamp in one day. Horrible but delicious at the same time!
  • jfiscer
    jfiscer Posts: 24
    Options
    I took a cardio class at an MMA (mixed martial arts) gym one time.
    1 hour and 15 minutes of skipping rope, sprints, jumping jacks,
    lunges, bear crawls, sidesteps, rolls, etc.
    There were 9 guys in the class and we ended by sitting
    in a circle doing sit ups. we did 20 sit ups for each person in
    the circle, nonstop.
    I couldn't walk or sit down for a week!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    well the 1/2 marathons were killer LOL....I can only imagine what running a full marathon is like!

I've also had days back when I was a dancer that I'd dance for 6 hours a day easily, w/ breaks of course especially if we were rehersing for a show, I think I broke each of my toes at least once from the toe shoes....but honestly I used to love it! so wiped out but so I don't know elevated is the best word to describe it!:happy:
    hugs!
    Ali
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Probably back when I was a competitive swimmer - and I had to do 2 practices per day when one was something like 3,000 yards backstroke and the other involved sprint breath control sets (50 meters no breaths).

Since then, the hardest has probably been my 9-mile run along Lake Michigan in the hot Chicago sun in 8/05. Haven't run farther than 6 miles since then, although I'm signed up to run a 10-mile race in 3 weeks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    One day back in highschool I biked 22 miles and hiked 4 miles in one day...went to the next town over to get my friend, then to the trail, then hiking, then back home. I think the fact that I didn't eat until late that evening really exacerbated it!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    WOW Mary, I would never have lasted as long as you did. I cannot even imagine how you must have felt after the other girl left...lol OMG I would have cried!

Hardest workout ever: hauling in crab pots in 20' seas while filming "Deadliest Catch." You only remain standing on the icy deck by sheer force of hunkering down low and counterbalancing the waves with every muscle in your legs. It was like lifting 100lb weights on a giant, icy BOSU ball...for twelve hours nonstop. I literally could not lift my arms or walk normally for a week.

Second hardest workout ever: slogging up and down a giant sand dune with a backpack full of encyclopedias (sigh, dating myself, this was pre-Wikipedia days!) to train for a mountain climb. Climb, puke, pushups. Repeat.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    In my experience, that just happened. I was as surprised as the garbage can.

:laugh:

You guys have done some AMAZING stuff!

the thought of 20' waves makes me ill - though climbing with a laptop and cell phone, may not get the job done!

I often think of the distance of a marathon, and I think, "I don't even like driving that far!"
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    my hardest work out ever hummnnn...
    bringin up 2 kids
    pushing them everywhere in a double buggy
    and gettin them through school

so glad thats over :laugh: