Bike-riding at the pace of a snail: effective?

Options
2»

Replies

• Joyamj
    Joyamj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I burn about that many when I ride at 18-20 mph...so I think it's probably high unless you are pretty heavy which you don't look to be from your pic.

i'm 178 at the moment! 5'0"

Yeah so I'm lighter than you but even still, I think that number is a bit high.

agreed.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I have one of those little pedal things, where you sit in your own chair and pedal. It's not my main way of working out, but I figure if I can burn a few extra calories when I am watching TV or at the computer, every little bit helps. When I use it, I never break a sweat, my heart rate is barely above normal, and my breathing is normal, just like you were describing. I searched online everywhere for information on how much I was burning, to no avail.

I finally just guessed I burn around 100 calories per hour, and enter it in as that. I use a HR monitor for all other exercise and weigh & log carefully. After 8 weeks, I am losing 1 pound per week, just like I set up so it looks like that 100 cals/hour is pretty close. I am 38 yrs old, female, & currently weight 161. If you are anywhere near my build, I would guess a similar burn for you.