It hurts to move

Options
I know the commercial says " A body in Motion stays in Motion" Now normal regular walking I can usually handle most days. I know some of you on here deal with injuries of different kinds. Some of them very debilitating. I want to know how you do it
I have always had some kind of back issues especially after having my children. But nothing that kept me down for very long and I could work thru it. Even went through a few car accidents with no real injuries though I am sure it did not help.
I am a 37 year old woman and feel like I live in the body of an 80 year old woman!
Occasionally it will be so bad I can not even support my weight on my legs for the pain. It has been awhile since it has been that bad. I would say more than a year. I was even going to the gym and had a personal trainer and felt good until about a year ago when I got rear ended on the freeway.
I went to physical therapy several times a week for months it helped.... a little.
But ever since then no matter how much I rest it, how much I stretch how much I adjust I am in pain. Actually stretching is excruciating. The Dr diagnosed me with
Scoliosis (mild)
complete degeneration of the entire lumbar with narrowing of the spinal canal and bone spurs on my vertebrae
and what probably causes the most pain
an unstable sacro illiac joint
But now my entire body hurts sometimes all my joints and muscles. A few months ago I was ecstatic when my Dr diagnosed me with low Vitamin D levels and gave me a prescription and I now supplement every day. That explained the joint and muscle pain and would help my pain in my back and hips (hips hurt more than anything else)
after reading up I started taking magnesium also along with a multi vitamin

It didnt really help. I am now attributing all this pain to inactivity even though I am on my feet all day at work I avoid all bending, twisting, reaching etc as well as at home.

I have always had a high tolerance of pain and a very strong will that impresses others that know me.
Working out even doing yoga HURTS I can't tolerate it.

But I know I have to. Am considering joining a hot yoga studio both for the heat to loosen my muscles and joints and the fact that I am not in the privacy of my own home to shame me into pushing myself.

If you are someone with an injury or chronic pain how do you do it?

(btw other than vitamin supplements I refuse to take any pain medications other then the muscle relaxers the dr gave me for a short time after the car accident. My grandfather was an alcoholic and my sisters are both addicts to the point they don't function *one lives on the streets by choice* before the vitamin D deficiency diagnosis and I started taking magnesium I was taking max doses of aleve and Tylenol though most days. I have not done that since December the pain is not worse so I guess the vitamins help)

p.s Sorry it is such a long post

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Try a physiatrist aka rehabilitation medicine doctor . Try a physical therapist with a doctorate who specializes in chronic pain. Or try a chronic pain doctor.

Most of all keep trying. Something will work.

Keep a list and keep trying . Accupuncture might help.

Don't give up. Keep moving.
    Swimming or water aerobics may be more tolerable for you.
    Good luck
  • Kingacat
    Kingacat Posts: 33
    Options
    I've heard good reports about the benefits of Mindfulness for pain.
    Good luck.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should find a new doctor?

I have no idea what you are going through, but I had a friend with back pain who did cortisone injections, and they really helped. My father had problems with his knees. He said it took about a year of strength training and swimming to get his muscles built back up. Since then he has been able to do some high impact exercise, but mostly sticks to biking, swimming, and strength training.

Good luck!
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you've done this but 1) chiropractor and 2) acupuncture may help.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I go to the chiropractor often, when ever possible it is the only way I manage it at all. Was thinking about acupuncture but was not sure as I don't know how effective it is
  • mvandendooren
    mvandendooren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, Trish... I am in a very similar position. I have had chronic spinal degeneration pain since my 20s due to car accidents etc. (i'm now in my early 40s), and I actually have the time to exercise now that my daughter is getting a bit older. The problem is, any amount of exercise whether it be walking, elliptical trainer, swimming, you name it… my back gets very sore. It's quite frustrating, because there is nothing I would like to do more than to get very fit and healthy. I've gone through periods where it seems to be doing better, so I get back on my treadmill etc., only to have it be way worse than it was when I started. I know there are people who have it way worse than me. I'm not that out of shape (I'm 5'3 and 140 pounds), but when you want to commit to being healthier and your body prevents you from doing so, it's hard. For me, I have determined that I have to just take things slowly. I use a foam roller on my upper legs and glutes primarily, and that seems to loosen the tightness that forms in my back somewhat. I go back-and-forth to yoga sessions weekly… Sometimes it works to help the back, other times it can make it worse.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them. Good luck Trish!