Healthy Food?

Options
I'm having trouble distinguishing healthy food from non-healthy food, only when it comes to certain foods. Obviously all fast food is unhealthy and cookies, brownies, icecream and all that isn't good for you unless they are specifically made the be healthy. But what about a breakfast like this,

2 servings of 3/4 cups honey nut cherrios with 1/2 cup half percent milk
half of a bagel and cream cheese (regular philadelphia)

it equals out 451 cal, and 10 grams of fat.

If that isn't a good meal, what would be better? I usually eat fruit in the morning, but were out of everything right now. :tongue:

let me know your opinions

:heart: Danielle

Replies

• healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    I'm having trouble distinguishing healthy food from non-healthy food, only when it comes to certain foods. Obviously all fast food is unhealthy and cookies, brownies, icecream and all that isn't good for you unless they are specifically made the be healthy. But what about a breakfast like this,

2 servings of 3/4 cups honey nut cherrios with 1/2 cup half percent milk
    half of a bagel and cream cheese (regular philadelphia)

it equals out 451 cal, and 10 grams of fat.

If that isn't a good meal, what would be better? I usually eat fruit in the morning, but were out of everything right now. :tongue:

let me know your opinions

:heart: Danielle
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    As long as the bagel is 100% whole grain, it's a fine breakfast.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    do you have any fruit juice? I need my fruit serving in the morning. Other than that it sounds fine to me!
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a serving of protien (milk or cheese or eggs) a serving of fiber/carbs and a serving of fruit. I skip the veggies in the morn unless i am eating an omlett. But as long as you are aware of what your eatting i think you should be good.. But too much bread isnt good..:P whole grains are good... NO BUTTER..:P :smile: enjoy good luck
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    Not bad, but it may be too l carbs in one sitting though. You are trying to strike a balance between complex carbs, lean protein, fruits and veges. Simple carbs come from processed products, or white, starchy foods. (Baked Layes, flour tortillas, whit rice, white bread, potoe chips, butter crackers, etc). Complex carbs (when they have the WHOLE wheat grain included in them) are always a better option, because the whole grain is more difficult for your body to convert to energy (i.e. more calories are burned digesting it, and you feel fuller longer). Things like whole wheat tortillas, wheat thin or Truiscuitt crackers, brown rice, whole wheat bread products, are the better carb option. However, be sure to watch how many carbs you eat. You need them for energy, but if you eat more then your body can burn in a day they get stored.

To make it a bit heathier, I would omit the bagel/cream cheese and replace it with fruit (strawberrys or bananas in your cheerios would be good!) Be sure to use low fat or fat free milk too, as low fat milk is way better for your body then whole milk.

Cheerios are whole grain so they are a good choice, but make sure your bagel is whole grain too, if you choose to eat it. Also, try reduced fat cream cheese instead of full fat.

You ask good questions. You are going to learn a lot about healthy eating on this site. Pay attention to what Banks posts, as he knows his stuff.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    that's a good idea! I love my carbs in the am....what I do instead of a bagel is toast a thomas' lite multi grain english muffin and put the lite cream cheese or even pb on it and a small peice of fruit....its give you the carbs but also 8 gms of fiber and only 100 cals....just a suggestion!

hugs!
    Ali
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Think simple!
    The less processed something is, usually the better for you it is.
    So, simple fruits, oatmeal, granola, veggies, meats and cheeses.

My usual breakfast:

1tsp apple butter with either

1/2 cup plain yogurt and 55g granola

OR

1/2 cup no sodium cottage cheese

plus a piece of fruit and usually some green tea.

Its simple and healthy :smile: