OUT OF SITE - OUT OF MIND

Options
Things I do to help stay focused…

At Home
• I make dinner for the evening and extras for lunch the next day.
• I clean the kitchen so there are no residual dishes out to remind me of food.
• I keep all food/drinks/condiments in the cabinets so the reminder of food is not present.
• I keep my son’s snacks in an opaque container on the top shelf of the pantry so it is out of site-out of mind. (These are only healthy, all-fruit snacks.)
• I have projects that keep me busy all of the time. For me, down time is eat time.
• I’ve thrown away all bad food items from our house. If my husband purchases chips and salsa or the like, I will throw away what he doesn’t eat the night he buys it. He knows that if he wants stuff like that, he has to keep it at work.

At Work
• I keep a glass of water on my desk at all times. And a note on my calendar so I can check off how many glasses I’ve had each day.
• I prepare my meal and make it presentable on my plate, using a real plate, not paper.
• I found a coworker to walk with during our lunch break and do the stairs 2x a day for our “smoke break.” We don’t smoke but we take a “healthy smoke break” by walking down and up six flights of stairs.
• I stay out of the kitchen as much as possible. People are prone to bringing tempting snacks in and leaving them in the kitchen.
• If I indulge in a not-so-smart food choice, I put the remainder of the package in the kitchen for others to consume.

Yes, I know, I’ve become a bit of a Food Nazi, but I’ve lost 28 lbs by doing these things. Good luck to all of y’all! I’m only 3/8 of the way done with my weight loss goals but feel soooo much better! My advice to all – keep good food only on hand. OUT OF SITE – OUT OF MIND.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    While I agree with keeping your environment as free as possible of trigger foods, etc., I don't think that's very fair to your husband to not allow him to have food in the house that he enjoys.

You're on a diet. That doesn't mean the rest of the world has to be.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i wish i lived alone so i could do this but i still live at home with my parents and my father the super skinny man buys crap food all the time and i cant stop him! :c

BUT! great advise to try and remember for when i finally move out! ^__^ *saves*
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to hear that you have such an understanding, supportive husband. It's not that you're not allowing him to have the foods; it's a sign of respect that he would consume what he wants and then not leave what's left lying around to tempt you. Besides, you're not "on a diet" -- you're making conscious lifestyle changes, and for that you should be applauded!

I follow many of the same points that you've mentioned in your post, and I too can attest that it works!! I've lost 21 pounds, slowly and steadily.

Keep up the great work!! :)
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just buy chocolate stuff for the rest of the family to eat. I hate chocolate.
    Works great!
  • angelsxzist
    angelsxzist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I re-started eating right a couple of days ago. I literally threw away all junk food that I had in my house. (I live alone so no one missed it). I've been wanting to start for about a month now but the cookies and chips, etc. kept calling to me...and I answered. The ONLY way I can be successful is if I don't have any junk food in my house.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    These are great tips =]
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to hear that you have such an understanding, supportive husband. It's not that you're not allowing him to have the foods; it's a sign of respect that he would consume what he wants and then not leave what's left lying around to tempt you. Besides, you're not "on a diet" -- you're making conscious lifestyle changes, and for that you should be applauded!

I follow many of the same points that you've mentioned in your post, and I too can attest that it works!! I've lost 21 pounds, slowly and steadily.

Keep up the great work!! :)

She didn't say that he doesn't leave it lying around. She said she throws it away. HUGE difference.

I'm sorry, but it is NOT FAIR to the people in your life to force them to not be able to eat what they want when they want. She could ask him to hide it somewhere, but throwing it away is just plain rude and passive aggressive. If I were her husband, that wouldn't fly. If he's OK with it, good for him. But what is she going to do when she can't control her environment somewhere else?
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    I don't buy the junk food when I go to the grocery. I told my husband if he does that is fine, but he has to keep it in his filing cabinets in the home office. He was fine with that. I do keep plain m & m s for me but when I get them I only get out 12. Once I eat those 12, I go into my bedroom and either get on the computer and talk to friends, visit mfp or start crocheting. Crocheting keeps my hands busy and I forget about wanting to stuff food in my mouth.
  • fashionprncess1
    Options
    you are doing awesome and i congratulate your progess! wtfe to the person who thinks that being selfish and keeping unhelpful junk in the house is ok. a true loving, helpful and supportive partner wants the best for you both physically and mentally. keep up the good work and get rid of what you need to. at some point he will get tired of wasting the money and buy what he needs for the current craving and leave the rest at the store for future purchases. he doesnt need it any more than you do! all is fair in food and health!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Very good tips!

My husband and I had an understanding throughout my journey: keep your junk food out of my sight. Put it in the highest cabinets so I can't reach it. If he cooked something high calorie, then left it in the fridge for more than two days, I totally tossed it.

It' simple, if he wants you to be successful, he'll do anything to help you, including modifying his own habits seeing as you'll live together FOREVER. :laugh: I would not have been as successful as I was if he wasn't on board.
  • fitnessbekhs
    Options
    wow...bellinachuchina!! 110 lbs lost! You are an inspriration! Thanks for the support...and seeing your weight loss is really impressive and helpful to me. I started at 220 lbs last year and am down to 172 right now. 135 is my goal too so it's so nice to see someone start around my start weight and make it down to her goal! Great job and keep up that success of maintenance!