Anyone use Medi Thin or another drug based plan?

Options
Wondering if anyone here uses Medi Thin or another drug based weight loss program and if so how it's worked out? How much did you lose, how fast, were you able to maintain after?

Some of the girls I work with do it and I'd like to give it a try but I've done Medifast and lost 40 lbs only to gain back 60 in the last 5 or so years. I realize it's not a permanent solution, I'm looking for a jump start and some help with appetite control as I begin this journey back to a healthy weight.

Share you experience if you have one please!

Replies

• 8lackie
    8lackie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just one person's opinion and experience. Exercise and counting your calories seem to be the best suppressant there is. I've given up on easy and quick. Slow and hard seem to be what works. Good luck!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You probably won't get very many positive responses on this. Most people on these forums have got where they are by moving more and eating sensibly because there are no easy answers to weight loss.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I used to take Meridia, a prescription medicine for weight loss. I lost 121 pounds.

However, it raised my BP and I couldn't sleep, so they started me on xanax for sleep. I ended up addicted to xanax. After 8 months on Meridia and following a low cal diet and exercise, I had lost a lot of weight. But I became ill.

I lost my gallbladder due to rapid weight loss and my whole endocrine system was a mess. My hormones were so wacked out that it triggered a pregnancy which was not a healthy baby. I miscarried 10 weeks into the pregnancy and nearly bled to death.

This all happened in April of 2008. The gallbladder thing and the pregnancy were just after I had to stop taking Meridia. I was thin, but so sick.

After getting off of Meridia I kept exercising and tried to eat right, but I kept crashing. I couldn't maintain it. I had called the pharmacy and my doctor and asked them not to prescribe or fill meridia for me, even if I begged. Well, I got to the point where I begged and they didn't give in.

The weight came back about ten pounds per MONTH.

I gained back everything plus twenty pounds and I am now fighting it off again, this time with no drugs or supplements. Just exercise and eating right. I moderate each food category.

It's doable without pills.
  • happykate2
    Options
    I'll be one of those negative responses. I think its useless. Unless, of course, you plan on taking the medication for the rest of your life. A girl I went to HS with used Medithin. She was endorsed on billboards because she "lost 50 pounds!" That also means a very VERY strict diet. I know she struggles still. The medicine suppresses your ability to feel hungry, which is great, but only with the medicine. I highly encourage you to just start moving and eating healthy. Good luck to you!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    And almost all of these meds come with heart valve problems and blood pressure issues.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to take Meridia, a prescription medicine for weight loss. I lost 121 pounds.

However, it raised my BP and I couldn't sleep, so they started me on xanax for sleep. I ended up addicted to xanax. After 8 months on Meridia and following a low cal diet and exercise, I had lost a lot of weight. But I became ill.

I lost my gallbladder due to rapid weight loss and my whole endocrine system was a mess. My hormones were so wacked out that it triggered a pregnancy which was not a healthy baby. I miscarried 10 weeks into the pregnancy and nearly bled to death.

This all happened in April of 2008. The gallbladder thing and the pregnancy were just after I had to stop taking Meridia. I was thin, but so sick.

After getting off of Meridia I kept exercising and tried to eat right, but I kept crashing. I couldn't maintain it. I had called the pharmacy and my doctor and asked them not to prescribe or fill meridia for me, even if I begged. Well, I got to the point where I begged and they didn't give in.

The weight came back about ten pounds per MONTH.

I gained back everything plus twenty pounds and I am now fighting it off again, this time with no drugs or supplements. Just exercise and eating right. I moderate each food category.

It's doable without pills.

I wish I could quote this on so many posts!!!!

So sorry for everything you went through, but really glad you're back doing it without pills!

OP -- please please please don't look for a quick fix, they usually don't end well....
  • RebelMiltonMom
    RebelMiltonMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone...pretty much what I thought! It's really hard to stick to the diet and exercise route when the other girls in the office are losing 5lbs (or more) weekly:sad:
    I guess my reward will come when I don't gain it all back in 6 months!
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A drug based plan is probably not the best idea because you are risking side effects. Instead, getting on a good nutrition plan with vitamins and supplements is the better (and safer) idea.