Mud / Obstacle run training suggestions?

geebusuk
geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
Been meaning to do one for a while and found there's a 12k / 50 obstacle in a month that would work for me as I have to pop over to my mum's place and it's half way there.

Not done much running recently, so that's an obvious start.

I also do the following every other day, exercises spread across three sessions - Squats, bench press, dead lift, barbell row (because my power clean form sucks), weighted dips, weighted pull ups, overhead press.

I've been meaning to do some rock climbing too anyway, which should help grip strength etc.

Other stuff worth practising? I don't have access to a gym - working away in my motorhome, but do have an Olympic barbell set with rack and bench and happen to also have a 3 segment ladder (brought down for the work on my mum's place), which I use for pull ups leant against the motorhome.
Was thinking I could try and get the ladder setup so it's a bit longe against a tree or something and use as 'monkey bars'. Also, lying on the floor but vertical, to practice balance - might see if I can setup a slack line with some tiedowns?

Any other thoughts?

Replies

• telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    I would also like to know this
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Not much!! You could try securing the ladder at an angle and doing inclined sit-ups. Clearly the steeper the angle, the harder it is!!
  • geebusuk
    My weights bench does incline/decline - main reason I went for a bit more expensive (still secondhand) one was that it offered this.

Before my recent cut really started to affect my weights I was doing an abs routing after every other workout which included 3x12 weighted decline situps. Now that I'm starting to up my calories, I was going to chuck some abs stuff in, but was thinking to focus more on lower abs (as my upper ones are more noticable as it is - doing abs is 90% aesthetic for me :) ).

Oh and when I was googling earlier, this page had some interesting ideas:
    http://xrunner.co.uk/training-plan/

Might try a few of those, just to get used to the movements if nothing else.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Chin ups are your friend
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Trail running. On as mountainous an area as you can find. Seriously, this is the major obstacle if you aren't used to it. People don't have properly conditioned muscles and joints for this kind of running, which was a major cause of problems for people at the Tough Mudder I did.

Also pull/chin ups.
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    I've never ran a mud/obstacle run before, but I am training for my first tough mudders and actually had a similar post. Here's some of the advice I got:

- Practice running in different environments (ideally outside) and in different inclines and not just on a tread mill and flat surface.
    - Legs are probably strong enough, but focus on upper body strength: Like someone said, chin ups are your friend lol. Work on pull ups, rings (if you can), walls (like scaling them) , and increasing strength in your upper back, lats, neck, arms and shoulders in general
    - Work on balance, dynamic movements, and flexibility -- balance, roll, crawl and being able to do any sort of parkour type movements would be helpful. Also pylometric workouts will probably help you out a ton
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Trail running. On as mountainous an area as you can find. Seriously, this is the major obstacle if you aren't used to it. People don't have properly conditioned muscles and joints for this kind of running, which was a major cause of problems for people at the Tough Mudder I did.

Also pull/chin ups.

I just did one of these today and I agree with this 100% Trail running and lots of pull up's!
  • geebusuk
    Cheers -

Used to running off road. Haven't done much in the last month, but about 5 weeks ago I did a 32 mile off road ultramarathon, think that had about 4500 ft of climbs in!
    Longest I'd run before was 11 miles, so didn't set a blistering pace, but happy enough with my performance. Done plenty of other off road running - until recently was in West Yorks where it's really hilly - would do a 10k social trail night run most Wednesday nights.

Hopefully more general arm work especially 'functional' arm work will be handled with climbing if I can mangage to go a few times - current routine I do has 3x5 weighted pull ups - next session will up it to 17.5kg (just under 40lb) as I did my 3x5 on 15kg fine last time.

Parkour is a good shout... I'd like to do some anyway, did check up on local groups near to where I am now, but forget the outcome.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    I'm running Spartan in a month and have tried to incorporate a lot of grip and body weight into my routine. Pull ups, dips, push ups, squats, box jumps, ect.. There's an awesome trail near my house that has huge rock walls that I practise manoeuvring myself and jumping over. If you can find something similar that would really help! From what I've read and heard, endurance and core/grip strength are two of the most important things to work on.

I never really thought of practising parkour, but perhaps that's something I will also pick up soon to help train! :)
  • geebusuk
    Well, it's getting rather close - I haven't even booked it yet as a bit broke - and I've managed to get out twice for a couple of short runs. Going to have to have one decent length one before the event, at least.

There wasn't a massive amount on my route, but I found:
    Some metal railings a bit above hip height - hand on, then jump up to one foot on, jump off.
    Push ups/situps while the dog was reliving himself (my dog is very good at only going out of the way - no doubt other people's dogs aren't, best not to think about that!)
    Jumping on some cut down logs and over a branch sticking out.
    Finger tip pull ups on the back of some 'wild life' signs.
    Hanging upside down off a branch and climbing up it.
    Going down, then full pelt up a gulley bit that was 3-5m heigh and 35-55 degrees angle I reckon.