Protein Powder

Options
Hey all!

I need to add more protein to my diet, I haven't been paying much attention along my journey, but my trainer told me to get at least 100 grams a day. I am just under almost everyday, so can anyone suggest a brand of protein powder they use? or flavors etc? I have never done this before! :-) Thank you!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC brand, but try some out, they dont really taste that good so find one you can tollerate.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they make a powder or not, but I love the Premier Nutrition Protein shakes. They taste really good to me. Costco sells em by the case, $20ish for 24.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like body fortress.....I buy it at walmart and it is only like $18...where alot of brands cost alot....also it is tasty.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use cookies and creme protein powder by Body Fortress; and I like the taste of it. That's the only flavor I have tried so far but I know other people who have had other flavors and they like them as well.
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love EAS 100% Whey Protein in Vanilla! It's the only protein flavor I actually like to drink :)
  • pizzy
    pizzy Posts: 47
    Options
    i use GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 - Chocolate, its a good source of protien 60g of protein, its a fast acting protein so it gets in your system faster, tastes pretty good, i like it, it has 280 calories per serving which is 3 scoops in 12oz of water, and its a leaner protein too.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    There are so many brands and options out there to experiment with, and I mix it up and try new things. You definitely want to get enough protein, and if you are using MFP's default settings for carbs/fat/protein, you still might not be getting enough. I shoot for 40/40/20 myself. Here are a couple things to consider...

First I use two kinds of protein powder for different purposes:

- Whey Protein is absorbed quickly by the body, especially after a workout. I drink shakes made from specifically "whey isolate" right after workouts (within 30-45 minutes after), or as a meal replacement.

- Casein Protein is absorbed slowly by the body (over several hours). Casein shakes are one of the few foods great to eat right before bed because it absorbs slowly. It promotes muscle growth and prevents muscle loss during sleep.

Flavor - I stick to Chocolate because I find it mixes well with more things (bananas, milk, berries, etc). When mixed with the right ingredients they taste great. If you are going to use only water it probably won't taste wonderful no matter what brand you get.

Where to get - Health food store, vitamin shop, online. I get my whey isolate at BJ's wholesale club and Casein at VitaminShoppe.
  • SkinnieLynnie
    Options
    I like Wellements Alpine Vanilla with 27 grams of protein per scoop. I bought it at Cost Co in a 6 pound bag. The flavor is fine in cold water, with no discernable after taste. My favorite way to have it is with frozen berries, 1/2 banana , 1/3 cup non-fat yogurt and half a handful of frozen spinach. You are doing great!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't know how those people can stand the stuff from Wal-Mart. To me it is gross. I only drink EAS 100% Whey Protein or one I get from a private label company that I had once thought about using to brand my own. If I ever open my own gym, I may still do that. I like either Chocolate or Vanilla. The chocolate I mix with skim milk and get my chocolate milk fix. The vanilla I mix with 100% juice and frozen fruit for smoothies. These two brands don't throw off the taste with these applications, where the others I've tried do. But don't judge them all based on my taste. I don't like the taste of Muscle Milk either and most people I know claim it to be fabulous. We all have our own taste in things, so try a few and see what you like. You may be able to go to GNC and get some single serving ready to drink shakes to get an idea of the way the brands taste to determine which ones you want to try in powders. I've also gotten numerous free samples at the trade shows when there is a body building contest in town. Even if you don't go to the body building contest, the trade shows are usually free admission or really cheap admission if they are having a portion of the pre-judging at them. And a lot of the supplement companies give out free samples there so you can try a bunch of different kinds and see what you like without buying a big package of something you may not like.
  • mdailous
    Options
    Consumer reports did some tests against some of the most popular protein mixes and the results were... well, astonishing to say the least. The levels of arsenic, lead, cadmium and mercury in some of the brands is unacceptably high. Of course, this does depend on the amount of protein you use... and the high levels was using the recommended 3 servings a day. There are arguments both for and against the report, so accept the data at your own discrimination. Personally, I'd recommend doing a *lot* of investigation on the brands and varieties you're considering to use. There are lots out there... and it's unfortunately that any company can put out a protein drink with less-than-desirably ingredients. Additionally, consider your goals when you're determining which protein mix to use. Some have additional ingredients designed for bulk muscle building, some are geared more for lean muscle mass, and some are a mix of the 2. Check the nutritional information and you'll find lots of variations (some are extremely high in sugars and/or fats or even low in protein).

My personal goal is weight maintenance as and I'm already at my target weight. I'm not looking to bulk up, but instead to increase core strength and lean muscle mass. I do a lot of core exercises, yoga and tai-chi... so for me, I like the following:

Designer Whey : I've had both vanilla and the chocolate versions... love 'em both. This brand wasn't one of the ones tested by consumer reports, though. For me, the best thing about this whey is it's great for cooking and doesn't contain lots of "fluff". The fat/carb/protein ratios are more in line with me, too... and it's low in sugar. I make a low-fat/low-cal/high-protein cheesecake that I eat every day as a supplement. You can find it on Amazon at the URL: http://www.amazon.com/DESIGNER-WHEY-Protein-Supplement-Container/dp/B001CCW3B4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286914402&sr=8-1

Solgar Whey To Go : This one scored among the lowest in the Consumer Reports tests. It's good flavor and mixes really well. I haven't tried to bake with it, yet, but overall it's a good protein. You can find it on Amazon at the URL : http://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Protein-Powder-Vanilla-powder/dp/B0011FTBMQ

Good luck on your journey.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Huge fan of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. It mixes well and tastes good. It also scored very well in the test previously mentioned. One that scored poorly is Muscle Milk. Tastes really good and you can usually find a premixed bottle in a convenience store in a pinch.
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Has anyone tried Spiru-tein protein mix? I need something lactose/whey free and evidently this has a lot of vitamins in it. Bought a packet today to try.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I use maxitone chocolate flavour.

Its aimed at women and only 120 calories per shake
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use the big bags from Costco. They are priced really great, we also use the premier protein shakes from costco. Atkins makes great tasting protein bars. They get a little spendy though. Try this recipie to get in some more protein in the AM

1 Cup Frozen Fruit
    1 Table spoon peanut butter
    1/3 cup of oatmeal
    1-2 scoops of whey protein (1 or 2 ounces)
    1 cup of water.
    Throw it all in a blender.....enjoy!

I buy the vanilla protein and mix it into my oatmeal in the mornings on cold mornings.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I go to Vitality Health Food Store and pick up my whey protein (vanilla) it's only 70 calories a scoop...but i'm almost out so i bought the tub of whey protein from Wal-Mart..i have tried different kinds and still don't like it, so i mix it with 250ml of water, frozen fruit, and i chug it
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    What's the "scoop" (har har) on Soy Protein powders compared to Whey? They seem lower cal but also lower protein. For a 138lb woman who runs (no hardcore weight lifting here), they seem to be a little more sensible... Perhaps I just don't know enough about it.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Since I have never done this before anyone have any recipes to share? Such as, do you use milk vs. soy milk or flavored? vanilla? almond? Do you use ice or not to use ice? I am thinking of picking up a vanilla and a chocolate flavor and doing these two recipes:

A. Milk, yogurt, frozen fruit & vanilla protein powder
    B. Milk, peanut butter & chocolate protein powder

Thoughts???
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Since I have never done this before anyone have any recipes to share? Such as, do you use milk vs. soy milk or flavored? vanilla? almond? Do you use ice or not to use ice? I am thinking of picking up a vanilla and a chocolate flavor and doing these two recipes:

A. Milk, yogurt, frozen fruit & vanilla protein powder
    B. Milk, peanut butter & chocolate protein powder

Thoughts???
  • ecoPeep
    ecoPeep Posts: 17
    Options
    Nectar brand is delicious and fat free and sugar free! try vanilla bean or cappucino (which really tastes like coffee).
  • mdailous
    mdailous Posts: 9
    Options
    @meagalayne

Soy protein is comparable to whey in that is is also a fast digesting protein, containing all of the essential amino acids, is rich in glatamine and aginine and is absorbed quickly. The primary difference between the 2 is whey is based on animal protein and is manufactured throw different "filtration" processes (for lack of a better term) which produce different levels protein. Soy, on the other hand, is pretty much just a vegetable protein. I'm not entirely sure of the manufacturing process for soy, but I do know they are both similar in how the body processes and uses them. They both provide muscle gains, and they both are excellent when combined with other forms of protein (like casein for example).

If you're not "looking to build muscle", I think the only way to do that is to not move... LOL It doesn't matter if you're a runner, cyclist, weight lifter, swimmer or perform any other type of cardio, taking protein is advantageous, and doing any sort of exercise is going to break down muscle. Protein's composition aids in rebuilding that muscle. :)