Lightly Active?

Options
So, here is the story: diagnosed T2 diabetes in February. Fasting BG 140, A1C 6.9. Weight 296. Implemented MFP. Started walking 1-4 miles every day. Set target at 2 lb/week loss at sedentary lifestyle. Started drinking 8-10 cups water per day. Age is 48.

Job: I am a scientist, spend maybe 6 hours seated at my desk, rest is moving about, running tests, etc. At home was a couch potato, but now do a lot of housework (laundry, dishes, cooking, etc).

Now: 262 pounds, fasting BG 113, A1C gets checked next month.

Should I remain at sedentary? I got stuck around 266-270 pounds for about three weeks but it is starting to come off again. Yesterday was a binge day (Damn you Long John Silvers!).

What do y'all think? Bump it up to lightly active? Diary is open and yes, I know I take in too much sodium but I do not have high BP.

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    You can either set your activity level at sedentary and eat back a good portion of your exercise calories (75%) or use the TDEE method (see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet) and set your activity to moderately active.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have left mine at sedentary and log my excercise, if that means i underestimate my basic activity then at least i'm on hte side of more loss not less - I use mfp with a small deficit goal and eat back some of my excercise calories
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Bump up your activity level for a few weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly active; work out 5-6 times a week & work in retail, but I've kept my lifestyle at lightly active because I log my workouts & then eat back most if not all of the calories burnt. MFP can work two ways: 1) changing your lifestyle setting as you become more active, eating the calories it prescribes you, and not logging workouts or 2) keeping your lifestyle setting constant, logging each workout, and eating back the calories burnt.

My biggest recommendation after browsing your diary is to move away from fried foods & to eat more fruits and veg to fight your plateau. Doesn't long john's have a grilled option?
  • LEOrzech
    LEOrzech Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    (Long John's) They do - it was a treat basically for one day. I have generally moved away from fast food which I used to eat 3-4 times per week. I do agree I need to add fruits and veggies also. That should help avoid the sodium issues which cause water retention.

I think I will continue to log my cardio and leave it at sedentary for now. It seems to be working.
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That's great! I know it can be hard to get away from fast food.