How do you compensate for binge eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with everyone else. Don't try and compensate. If it helps, I had a terrible week (and a half!) as well diet wise! Don't worry too much about it! If you think about it, in a year from now, when you're healthier and have moved on to other things will you really be saying "Oh my god, it was that one week that ruined all my efforts". No, as long as it doesn't happen EVERY week, you'll be fine.
    But the best thing you can do is try and not beat yourself up about it. The stress and guilt will cause you to restrict and then the hunger and feeling that you "deserve" to eat because of your previous starvation will cause you to binge. Just forget about it, smile and make healthy choices now.
  • nofoodforthemood
    Options
    I'm a binge eater also. I go to therapy for it and have been binge free for 53 days :) I add more complex carbs to my food plan the week before my period starts. About 300 calories worth extra. It helps alot. I also don't do cheat days..it's too dangerous for me. You are welcome to add me as a friend :)
  • naynay12366
    naynay12366 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a great book titled "the end of overeating". In it , the author Dr Kessler describes this cycle, which causes overeating. I think it's : Cue,response,reward,habit. In the last chapters of the book he clearly describes HOW to try to end this vicious cycle.
    Ex
    :1 you see a food or smell it ,or crave it =CUE
    2 you salivate ,anticipate , reach for it= RESPONSE
    3. You eat it and enjoy it ,= REWARD
    4 you do it again and again= HABIT
    We must learn to react differently to the CUE to experience different result.
    The end chApters of the book deal with this.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I don't compensate. By compensating you are feeding the cycle and you want to break the cycle. Log everything (as you're eating it if possible,) shrug, tell yourself you'll do better tomorrow and move on.

Once I stopped the - depression (which leads to) binge (which leads to) guilt/blame (which leads back to) depression and repeat cycle - I've decreased the bingeing. In fact, I haven't had a true binge in several months. This is the longest I've ever gone without pulling up a chair in front of the fridge and eating everything in there including the box of baking soda. Logging everything as I binge on it helps because I have to face the damage in real time which tends to decrease the dubious pleasure of eating until I puke then eating again and repeat until I fall asleep.

:flowerforyou:
  • naynay12366
    naynay12366 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a great book titled "the end of overeating". In it , the author Dr Kessler describes this cycle, which causes overeating. I think it's : Cue,response,reward,habit. In the last chapters of the book he clearly describes HOW to try to end this vicious cycle.
    Ex
    :1 you see a food or smell it ,or crave it =CUE
    2 you salivate ,anticipate , reach for it= RESPONSE
    3. You eat it and enjoy it ,= REWARD
    4 you do it again and again= HABIT
    We must learn to react differently to the CUE to experience different result.
    The end chApters of the book deal with this.
    "you can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    log it, own it, and move on …
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "log it and move on" club. If I decide to eat less the next day, it'll be because I'm not as hungry due to having eaten a bunch, not because I told myself I have to eat less the next day, you know? You don't have to "punish" yourself to stop the habit - you have to love yourself and know that it's okay to mess up every once in a while. And it's also okay to say "screw it" once in a while.