I need lunch ideas under 300 calories please!

Options

Replies

• Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Quiche! Make ahead, slice into portions, and take to work to nuke for a few seconds. Quiche is yummy and flexible with lots of protein and veggies without tons of cals. The one I was making was only around 170 for one slice but you could make your slices bigger or smaller. You could eat two smaller (to make it feel like more) or one big and then a side of fresh fruit -- I like mixing berries with banana or some kiwi with banana, or just an apple. Another thing I like is just a can of tuna. I drain some of the water then fluff in a bowl. Add black pepper or any other seasonings. Then I have a side of fresh broccoli, carrots, and ranch. Sometimes crackers or some spicey pretzels, but usually just this. I'm not sure why I'm craving it, but I am. LOL Soup is a good one because you can fill it full of veg and some meats and beans. Then have toasted bread and cheese or something. I LOVE those Laughing Cow cheeses on toast with some hearty soup!!!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Banana Nachos:
    1 large banana - 121 cal
    1.5 tbsp creamy peanut butter - 143 cal
    .5 tbsp pure clover honey - 30 cal
    .5 tbsp nut topping, peanuts and pecans - 23 cal

Melt the pb and honey in microwave, then pour over a bowl full of banana slices. top with the nuts. Enjoy with a fork.

Total: 317 calories.

This was my lunch. But I'll probably also have some avocado, sour cream and lunchmeat in a tortilla in an hour cuz I'm still hungry :P
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Don't know why everyone's making a fuss over having a small lunch... There's no need to eat your calories all at once. Can't generalize a person's eating habits by a single meal.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup cooked quinoa (I prepare with 0.5 tsp crushed garlic, squeeze lemon juice, and herbes de providence) 116 calories
    1/2 cup cooked Kale (Use an oil spray to save calories. I seasoned with Johnny's seasoning + vinegar or citrus) 44 Calories
    3 Chicken Breast tenders (Foster Farm's, steamed or cooked w/ spray oil/nonstick pan, about 100 calories) served in
    Homemade Honey-Balsalmic reduction, 40 calories for 1 Tbsp = 300 calorie lunch

Gazpacho, (almost any recipe <100 Calories) served with and ounce of fried/season tofu for ~80 calories, or 3 oz broiled/grilled shrimp (seasoned with lime, salt, chile) ~130 calories. Served cold, so convenient for keeping in a fridge. A typical salad and low calorie vinaigrette can also be served with this for under 300 calories total.

Weber lemon pepper marinade on grilled pork tenderloin or fish (<150), with a low calorie garlic mashed cauliflower (100 calorie), and any steamed side of dark, leafy greens such as broccoli (Portions of 1/2 cup usually 45calories) all for about 300 total.

Also, one cup of spaghetti squash is 42 calories. Serve with just about any sauce, some veggies, and a portioned protein source. It will fill you up for a small caloric value.

I'm sure there's other stuff. I try to eat a lot of very small meals because I don't put aside a lot of time for eating in general.

For planning meals under 300cal, avoid adding excess oils and sugars to foods. The bulk of your meals are ideally low fat proteins and vegetables. Season with spices, limit sauces. Prepare foods with dairy alternatives when possible; something like cauliflower mash with unsweetened hemp milk is still creamy and significantly lower calorie vs when prepared with cow's milk. Measure all high calorie parts of the meal. 300 calories can be enough for a lunch, and as long as the daily total is on track and you're satiated, it's all Gucci.

Good luck. I'm interested in seeing what other meal ideas people have to offer.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- great ideas!:happy:
  • janine2355
    Options
    I do the same lunch most days...just making small changes for flavor changes.

Turkey sandwich on a sandwich thin...change flavors with mustard, honey mustard, type of turkey, different cheeses, etc. When I get tired of turkey, then london broil or chicken for awhile
    Salad - currently with almonds, sesame seeds, wonton strips with light asian sesame dressing
    Fruit (sometimes with cheesecake yogurt - 16 oz. plain yogurt mixed with a box of fat free, sugar free Jello cheesecake pudding mix)
    String cheese (if I don't put it on my sandwich)
    yummy. I'm hungry now!
  • janine2355
    Options
    How about instead of telling her how many calories her lunch should be, you either give an example or don't? Sheesh, people.

A sandwich made with two scrambled eggs (cooked with non-stick spray) and some lower-calorie bread with a piece of fruit/fruit slices/a low-cal yogurt? I have that and it's usually under 300 cals.
    That would definitely work for me. Thank you, and thank you for the support
  • janine2355
    Options
    1/2 cup cooked quinoa (I prepare with 0.5 tsp crushed garlic, squeeze lemon juice, and herbes de providence) 116 calories
    1/2 cup cooked Kale (Use an oil spray to save calories. I seasoned with Johnny's seasoning + vinegar or citrus) 44 Calories
    3 Chicken Breast tenders (Foster Farm's, steamed or cooked w/ spray oil/nonstick pan, about 100 calories) served in
    Homemade Honey-Balsalmic reduction, 40 calories for 1 Tbsp = 300 calorie lunch

Gazpacho, (almost any recipe <100 Calories) served with and ounce of fried/season tofu for ~80 calories, or 3 oz broiled/grilled shrimp (seasoned with lime, salt, chile) ~130 calories. Served cold, so convenient for keeping in a fridge. A typical salad and low calorie vinaigrette can also be served with this for under 300 calories total.

Weber lemon pepper marinade on grilled pork tenderloin or fish (<150), with a low calorie garlic mashed cauliflower (100 calorie), and any steamed side of dark, leafy greens such as broccoli (Portions of 1/2 cup usually 45calories) all for about 300 total.

Also, one cup of spaghetti squash is 42 calories. Serve with just about any sauce, some veggies, and a portioned protein source. It will fill you up for a small caloric value.

I'm sure there's other stuff. I try to eat a lot of very small meals because I don't put aside a lot of time for eating in general.

For planning meals under 300cal, avoid adding excess oils and sugars to foods. The bulk of your meals are ideally low fat proteins and vegetables. Season with spices, limit sauces. Prepare foods with dairy alternatives when possible; something like cauliflower mash with unsweetened hemp milk is still creamy and significantly lower calorie vs when prepared with cow's milk. Measure all high calorie parts of the meal. 300 calories can be enough for a lunch, and as long as the daily total is on track and you're satiated, it's all Gucci.

Good luck. I'm interested in seeing what other meal ideas people have to offer.
    \
    WOOOOW!!! Thank you so much! Great ideas. Thanks.
  • janine2355
    Options
    Don't know why everyone's making a fuss over having a small lunch... There's no need to eat your calories all at once. Can't generalize a person's eating habits by a single meal.
    Exactly!!! Thank you for the support
  • janine2355
    Options
    Banana Nachos:
    1 large banana - 121 cal
    1.5 tbsp creamy peanut butter - 143 cal
    .5 tbsp pure clover honey - 30 cal
    .5 tbsp nut topping, peanuts and pecans - 23 cal

Melt the pb and honey in microwave, then pour over a bowl full of banana slices. top with the nuts. Enjoy with a fork.

Total: 317 calories.

This was my lunch. But I'll probably also have some avocado, sour cream and lunchmeat in a tortilla in an hour cuz I'm still hungry :P

Im definitely going to do this one! Thanks
  • janine2355
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes are perfect for lunch ideas under 300 calories. Two of those per day, along with vitamins and supplements, will help anyone lose weight (or just inches).
    Thank you. great for one the go too.
  • janine2355
    Options
    How about instead of telling her how many calories her lunch should be, you either give an example or don't? Sheesh, people.

No, see when somebody says they need meal ideas for under 300 calories -- because that's what they regularly consume for a meal, that is usually a warning that are possibly being too restrictive.

Op, if those are your numbers, those are your numbers. 1,640 seems a bit low for somebody's TDEE -- even for a sedentary job. Most people's BMRs are usually right at 1,400. I would ask you one question about the 1,640: Are you losing .9 pounds a week or are you losing more? If more, then I would suggest to you, that the calculator you are using is too conservative.

I would also suggest, if you have less than 20-25 pounds to lose, you have the goal of .5 pounds per week.
    I will look into it. Thanks
  • janine2355
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with lunches under 300 calories. Mine are generally around that much because, like you, I want to eat the bulk of my calories for dinner. I don't particularly feel like I need loads of calories through the day, but I do like a big dinner! I owe a lot of my success to doing it this way.

I eat: salads; soup; crackerbread or tortillas with light cream cheese, cucumber, and tomato; light hummus with veggies, hard boiled eggs; yogurt; smoothies; and oatmeal. I usually add a piece of fruit and call it good! :)
    That sounds great. thanks
  • janine2355
    Options
    A Large salad of lettuce, tomato, bell pepper, red onion, cucumber and 2 tablespoons of coleslaw and a small grilled chicken breast.

Red pepper and tomato soup (a whole bell peper, 1 stick of celery, a carrot, an onion and a tin of chopped tomatoes and a stock cube top up with water, boil until the veg is soft and whizz in a food processor about 90 kcal a bowl) with a slice of wholemeal bread.

butternut squash soup, vegetable soup, hummus with vegetable cruditees and a pitta bread.

there is loads of ideas really but the above is generally what i eat for my lunches.
    yummy
  • sabes_178
    sabes_178 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to keep the bulk of my calories for dinner/snacks so my lunches are usually the same (salads) and usually under 300 calories.

I love salads and the key to being able to eat them every single day is variety! The salad I ate today had spinach, cucumbers, strawberries, almonds, croutons and balsamic vinaigrette and was very filling at around 270 calories. Adding some chicken usually adds around 100 calories so I might have upwards to 400 calories for lunch but its whole, healthy filling foods and its enough to last me until dinner.
  • janine2355
    Options
    My average lunch is under 300 calories, and it fills me up until my (small) mid afternoon snack! It consists of a quesadilla (1 corn tortilla, 1/2 cup fat free refried beans, 2 tbs cheese, 2 tbs salsa), 1 cup of green beans, and half an apple. It's 294 calories, and I eat it pretty much every day.
    That would work for me. Everyone has such great ideas. I love them all!
  • recoveringleah
    Options
    All of Campbell's Select Harvest Homestyle Soups are under 300 calories and taste great!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Take about about 4 healthy size boneless chicken breasts and put them in the crock pot. Cover them with an organic (or your favorite) barbque sauce and let them simmer for several hours until they fall apart. Shred the chicken and pour a little sauce of it and wrap it in a large piece of your favorite lettuce. About 295 calories per serving depending on how caloric your sauce is. Use real bread if you need more calories or carbs.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that this one pot of chicken :laugh: could last all week.
  • janine2355
    Options
    Rice and beans FTW! I eat a lot of this for my lunch on a fairly regular basis. This is basically how I do it: long-grain brown rice 1/2 C (108 cal), canned pinto beans 1/4 C (52 cal), shredded mild cheddar cheese 1/2 oz (60 cal), salsa 2 Tbsp (~20 cal). Tasty, low calorie, full of fiber and protein, and under 300 calories.

Also, oatmeal is pretty good for being filling and low calorie. Ex: old-fashioned rolled oats 1/2 C (150 cal), 1/2 medium banana (~55 cal), peanut butter 1 Tbsp (~100 cal). Just about 300 calories. I don't really care for super sweet, so I don't usually add sugar or anything. Also, you can add a low sugar jelly/jam/preserves for PB&J flavor. :)

Hope this helps!
    great Ideas! Thanks.