Is this possible?

Options
So I have graduation coming in about two months, and I'd like to be able to look my best. Is there something that will make a noticeable difference in that time? I'm not overweight really, its just I don't have a lot of muscle, and could probably be leaner if I lost ten pounds of fat and put on muscle. So is it possible to lose that amount of fat, or at least around it, and put on some muscle in this time period? Or at least look noticeably different, while still being healthy? I'm currently 145 pounds and 5'6.

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    In 2 months? If you started lisfting weights right now for 3-4 days a week you could possibly lose a few inches, but I'm not sure how noticable it would be.
    Instead of giving yourself a 2 month deadline, try making a fitness change and just see what changes your body makes over more time.
    Also throw your scale away, looking more toned has nothing to do with your weight really. Buy a measuing tape and use that.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Aim to lose 1lb per week and lift weights. You should see some difference in 2 months. You will not add muscle if you are losing weight (can't lose and gain at the same time) but lifting weights will ensure your loss comes from fat, which will help reveal the muscle underneath.
  • fernwehwanderlust
    Options
    Why can't you gain muscle while losing weight? I will admit I don't know that much about muscle building, but it seems to me if you eat enough protein while lifting weights you'd gain muscle.

And about the "deadline", its just I have graduation, and would like to look leaner. I know its not the best reason to lose weight, but its one of my more important ones
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Why can't you gain muscle while losing weight?

This seems to be the rule that is repeated ad nauseum on here while ignoring the important exceptions. Those exceptions are people juicing, untrained people strength training for the first time, and those who have slacked off and are returning. If you're just starting out then cut your calories gently and hit the weights hard using a beginner's program such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. Both of these are inexpensive books available online.
    I will admit I don't know that much about muscle building, but it seems to me if you eat enough protein while lifting weights you'd gain muscle.

Pretty much, yes. Keep in mind that you will have a very hard time gaining muscle without eating at a calorie surplus unless you are in one of the above categories. I'm guessing that you are though so get to it.

And about the "deadline", its just I have graduation, and would like to look leaner. I know its not the best reason to lose weight, but its one of my more important ones

You can make some pretty damn significant progress in 2 months if you're committed and work hard.
  • fernwehwanderlust
    Options
    Okay, that was my question. I wasn't sure if I could do much in 2 months, to the point that its clear that my body has changed. I happen to be untrained, and would like to strength train, so i believe that works out. Thanks!
  • honninbousai
    Options
    Hi. Based on my experience, you can gained muscles while losing weight. i don't know about you,but i have the advantage of being an athlete.so, i'm quite muscular and also sometimes lose weight because of the sports training. So, basically, what you have to know is you must have the commitment and some secrets.=)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Muscle-Gaining-Secrets/1499554756932032?fref=nf
  • WhiteTan
    WhiteTan Posts: 4
    Options
    It isn't ideal to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time because burning fat requires the body to be on a caloric deficit while building muscle requires a caloric surplus.

There can be exceptions to this but only temporarily and the results will only progress so far before hitting a plateau.

People find this to be inconvenient and try to do both at the same time anyway, only to eventually get frustrated at lack of results in both fields.