*sigh* Why Sonic?

Options
2»

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    The people saying reevaluate your relationship with food must be nuts. I would have poured it out too. 100g of sugar is almost twice what I consume in an entire day. I won't even bother figuring out the calories on that. I'd rather just not drink it.

Let's see the one's saying to reevaluate the relationship with food have successfully lost over 100 lbs... Are we saying to have something with 100g of sugar all the time nope, but it will not hurt anything in the long run and should be enjoyed.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't think she said sugar is the devil, maybe she would rather use her calories on real food, something you can chew

"If it tastes good it's probably bad"? Sounds like the devil to me!!
  • idlehands79
    Options
    I don't think she said sugar is the devil, maybe she would rather use her calories on real food, something you can chew

This. I really like to eat. I'd rather get my calories from food then drink. ;)

No sugar is not the devil, I was being flippant when I said 'if it tastes too good, then it's bad'.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    100 grams of sugar is bad for anyone I think!

It is not bad for me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    TBH I just think everything at Sonic is disgusting.

And I like/eat some fast food!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    By the very definition of a slush, it's a sugar based syrup. The sugar in a slush acts as an antifreeze so you're not getting a flavored block of ice.

If you order a diet slush, you're still going to have a slush with sugar in the slush mix...that's just how it's made.

As far as Sonic letting people know that when they order diet it may not be what they are expecting, look at it from their perspective...people are ordering double cheeseburgers, large chili/cheese covered tots, and then order a diet coke, as if the diet coke is going to offset the entire cheeseburger order. They don't know why you ordered diet, nor is it their place to coach you in what to order.

There are a million drink combinations at Sonic, you pulled up knowing what you wanted, and I would have to assume you've had it before and knew the nutritional make up of the limeade, but at the last minute, you went on a whim and ordered the slush. At that point it's up to you to find out how it's made and what the nutrient/cal breakdown is. Or, you could have asked before you ordered. It's not Sonic's fault. You ordered a slush, you got a slush...they did their jobs.
  • idlehands79
    Options
    It's true, I didn't think about it like that. Don't worry, Sonic is safe from my wrath. It was just a shock. And thank you for the science behind slushies, I had no idea how they worked.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    I've worked at sonic, the slush base is not sugar, its literally just slushy water. We added diet sprite and diet cherry syrup. The sugar is probably coming from the syrup, honestly I don't believe that theres even a difference between the diet and the regular syrup. Cherry limeades are just sprite and cherry syrup, you could make the same thing at home, but healthier, by just buying some sprite and adding cherry juice. I've tried it and there is no difference. A lot of the special drinks at Sonic are rip offs. For example don't ever order a lemon slush, its just lemons squeezed in to slushy water.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    The people saying reevaluate your relationship with food must be nuts. I would have poured it out too. 100g of sugar is almost twice what I consume in an entire day. I won't even bother figuring out the calories on that. I'd rather just not drink it.

Let's see the one's saying to reevaluate the relationship with food have successfully lost over 100 lbs... Are we saying to have something with 100g of sugar all the time nope, but it will not hurt anything in the long run and should be enjoyed.

That's pretty impressive. You should be proud of that achievement. Not even being sarcastic.

Now how about using all that experience to maybe empathize with people still working hard at things and offer support for making good choices rather than just eating all the things.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

That's pretty impressive. You should be proud of that achievement. Not even being sarcastic.

Now how about using all that experience to maybe empathize with people still working hard at things and offer support for making good choices rather than just eating all the things.

See that's where you are misunderstanding, offering support and advice on understanding that no food is evil, or whatever is one of the biggest lessons I learned. When I started I thought I had to overly restrict my calories, give up all the good food, and be miserable cause that's what dieting meant. Then the wonderful people on here showed me that this didn't have to be miserable, I could eat delicious food, nothing was off limit, and that's why I'm still here. I shoot for 80% good choices and the other 20% I don't worry about.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options

My sentiments exactly! I get heartburn just thinking about consuming that much sugar in one sitting. No, thanks, Sonic.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options

They fail to mention this at the time of ordering, I'm glad I'm not a diabetic.

and people wonder why mayors are trying to regulate drink sizes!!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

This isn't so much about "eating all the things" as it is about the OP claiming that "it tasted good" and therefore must be "bad." THAT sort of thinking would be unhealthy. Granted, I doubt she actually meant it in quite that way, but some of the people around here take things literally.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    So I stopped off this morning at Sonic to get a Diet Cherry Limeade but instead decided to get a Diet Cherry Slush. When I got to work I took a drink and paused, it tasted very sweet...too good to be diet. After a little research online, I found out that their slush base is full of sugar, as in 100 grams of sugar for a large slush. I had to wash it down the drain. The syrup was sugar free but the rest was not! I'm glad I followed my instinct that if something tastes too good, it's probably bad. >.<

how in the world can they say its diet? do they say the regular has 600 calories or something and the diet is 300 calories??
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    So I stopped off this morning at Sonic to get a Diet Cherry Limeade but instead decided to get a Diet Cherry Slush. When I got to work I took a drink and paused, it tasted very sweet...too good to be diet. After a little research online, I found out that their slush base is full of sugar, as in 100 grams of sugar for a large slush. I had to wash it down the drain. The syrup was sugar free but the rest was not! I'm glad I followed my instinct that if something tastes too good, it's probably bad. >.<

how in the world can they say its diet? do they say the regular has 600 calories or something and the diet is 300 calories??

I see Sonic has "millions of drink combinations" but it's not on the 35 paged nutritional infomenu I saw. It appears the OP made up a drink and the 15 year old employee threw something in a cup to keep the line moving
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

This isn't so much about "eating all the things" as it is about the OP claiming that "it tasted good" and therefore must be "bad." THAT sort of thinking would be unhealthy. Granted, I doubt she actually meant it in quite that way, but some of the people around here take things literally.

And seeing the OP's join date, the disservice would have been to assume that they knew that barring medical conditions, foods shouldn't be off limits.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I don't think anyone is getting it. The point isn't that it had calories. The point isn't that sugar is evil. The point is that she ordered something not having the time to look it up and when she got to where she could, discovered it could have hundreds of cals that didn't fit into her day. I would've poured it out, too. I'd rather have 300 cals of ice cream or steak or cookies vs. just a drink that won't satisfy or fill me up. I might waste 200 on beer sometimes, but that is also a planned high day. So I get it. It wasn't what she expected so instead of just drinking it, she did what worked for her and poured it out. So what?

Anyways, I checked their site and they do NOT have the slush base listed. AT ALL. So... I messaged them. Because I want to know! I don't get slushes often, but once in a while when I am out running errands and I am hot, I will swing through and get a SF Mango one. Just because I love Mango! Well, under 'add-ins' they have it listed as zero. Which is nice! But... no list of a 'base'. Which is annoying. I'm not saying never drink it if you want it, I'm saying I want to know when I'm drinking it what I'm getting. If I KNOW I'm getting 400 cals and that is a decision I've made for my day then it's fine. But if I get something thinking oh, it's going to be some drink for zero or even just reduced and it's 400 cals.... NOPE. Not gonna do it. And OP, you live and you learn, ya know? So, now you know to go with whatever you originally planned or pull to the side and look it up on your phone or just ask the person at the window.
  • tripsup
    Options
    Hi, all! I see this topic is a bit old and seems to have fizzled and died a while back and may now seem irrelevant that I'm commenting on it, but here goes: I am a former sonic carhop. In my time working at sonic, many other carhops came and went. It's not a job many people hold for very long, and is often occupied by high school students that hardly care if your order is correct or not, so long as they get a few bucks out of it. Successful carhops will always try their best to get you what you want. I, for one, always tried to insure customers trying to order a "zero-calorie slushie", were well informed of what they were actually getting. This is not exactly something you can expect most sonic carhops to do. Half of them don't even know what they're serving people, anyway. They just ring up what you ask for and let you go on your merry way. Yes the menu says "zero calories" under diet cherry, mint, raspberry, blackberry, peach, and mango, but that is (as someone stated before me) just the syrup. At least once a day I had to deal with people asking for a "diet slush", and upon being told that there is no such thing, but I can still make a slush in those flavors, they get angry. ("Yes you do! I had one just yesterday!") anyway, long story short, stick to diet flavors in diet sodas or unsweet tea when it comes to sonic. (the sweet tea and green tea has an unholy amount of sugar in it as well)
  • fisherwomanjax
    fisherwomanjax Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Never drink something thats not what you wanted. Dont mess up your plan and btw, thats way too much sugar for a diet drink... Sounds gross anyway =) keep up the good work