The State Fair starts today, i need a plan HELP!

Options
We always take the kids out to the state fair. So that means walking around eating and drinking, while they ride the rides. Corn Dogs, funnel cakes, turkey legs and cotton candy, and everything is either fried or covered in chocolate. Needless to say im gonna need some major back up. Any suggestions?

Replies

• AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would be sure to fill up on healthy stuff before you go...like eat an early healthy lunch and drinklotsa water to help keep full...just keep telling yourself...I dont need that...good luck=)
  • krisdw
    krisdw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    portion control, or stick to the heather types of things, like corn on the cob (maybe they can make it with less butter), and sandwich wraps instead of burgers!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Have a vigorous workout and eat a corn dog...and please think of Alyssa in NYC when doing so!!! I LOVE corn dogs!!!
  • eabrown1
    Options
    Can you bring in your own snacks? A bag of popcorn, celery and carrot sticks, a jug of water? Not only will you save calories, but money too!
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    We always take the kids out to the state fair. So that means walking around eating and drinking, while they ride the rides. Corn Dogs, funnel cakes, turkey legs and cotton candy, and everything is either fried or covered in chocolate. Needless to say im gonna need some major back up. Any suggestions?

I completely understand how u feel. Every year, the town over from where I live has this Zest Fest(basically it's a lemonade fest) and they sell this funnel cake sundae!!! OMG, its a funnel cake with ice cream, hot fudge, brownies, and whip cream. My fiance got me one this year, and i just kinda looked at it, and took two bites of it, and let him, and the little guy finish the rest. Eat some veggies, before you go, and take a bottle of water with you. That's what i'm planning on doing tomorrow for my fiance's family reunion so i dont' eat everything in site. You'll be fine, have faith and think postive. if you do have something from the fair, just take a small bite of it, and let someone else with you finish it.
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is what was on the Rachael Ray show this summer, maybe it will help:

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/what-eat-amusement-park/

Have a great time and don't forget all that walking counts, too!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I went this year to ours and I split everything I ate with my sister so I never ate a full serving. I got a taste for stuff but didn't gorge myself.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just did the local fair here last night. I had GUM & Lots of water. I also ate right before we went so I wasnt starving and then surrounded by all of that food, I would have caved in like 5 min if I didn't eat a full meal before. Also bring your own snacks, rice cakes, granola bars etc.

I also googled *estimated* calories in the foods I thought I might eat, that way if I did give in I knew what was best... Just like a doughnut can be half the calories of a muffin, you might eat a corn dog and wish you would have got a funnel cake etc. Just saying, its always good to know before hand.

But I still stick to eating before and gum will help A LOT.
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    these are all great ideas, thanks guys!! i think im ready...

im a little OCD so if im prepared im good!

I think i will search the foods i like the most and pick one after seeing the nutrional and caloric content, that way i wont feel deprevied because i did get to eat something i wanted. But only one. Ill bring my water with me, and if possible, eat before i go so i wont be hungry.

Thanks guys!!1
  • laDOLCEvita7
    Options
    I have a big appetite that I am struggling with. I found a trick to get through hunger and meal times. During lunch I will drink a cup of ice cold water, eat my food, and 1/2 way through ill drink another cup of cold water, and after the small meal, ill drink another cup of water. So not only are you getting in water for your health, but the water starts to fill you up. I would carry water with you and take a baggy of celery sticks or carrots. I think its ok to eat some funnel cake if you cant stand it anymore. But a tiny peice, not the whole thing. Mind over matter, you can do it.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Take some snacks (apple, carrot, water) ... allow yourself to have something... but try to make the best choice health wise. Commit to exercise an extra 30 minutes within the next 48 hours. Remember how you felt the day you decided to commit yourself to this journey and how you feel as you reach your goals... is anything fried or chocolate covered really worth it? Probably not and your apple will taste even sweeter!