Hard Restrictions

Options
Hi everyone!

I have a lot of dietary restrictions, mostly because I'm allergic. I have Celiac disease and I am lactose intolerant (so I stay away from all dairy products in general), and I'm a vegetarian. (No, I don't eat fish, I have a shellfish allergy so I don't risk it.)

I am 5'6'' and fluctuate between 115 and 119 lbs. I run every day, strength train, and am physically active in general when I'm not studying like a maniac.

I have a challenging time trying to find foods with high amounts of protein and low calories to maintain my muscle mass. I just got injured running track (tendinitis in knee and ankle, torn IT band, and shin splints starting to form a stress fracture), so I want to avoid gaining ridiculous amounts of weight while I'm out. Any ideas?

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    have you thought of seeing a dietitian? I have a lot of intolerances too and my RD has been AMAZING!

I have a lactose intolerance and hate meet as well. They think I have gluten intolerance, but not Celiac...so I am not completely nuts about going gluten free and thus don't know if these ideas will work with that but...

I can tolerate Greek Yogurt if it's the Light N' Fit one
    Kroger has a carbmaster milk that has 12g protein and is lactose-free
    I am forced to eat meat as also have soy intolerance
    Egg whites
    Protein shakes?
    There are a lot of companies now that are gluten and meat-free

Other than that I get protein from sources that aren't low-calorie....
    Peanut butter
    Almonds

There are some other options too:
    Quinoa
    Pea protein
    Beans
    Tempeh
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you have so many medically documented dietary restrictions, shouldn't a doctor go over lists of approved foods with you, or at least refer you to a dietitian?

Not trying to blow you off, but it seems silly to be asking people with no necessary qualifications questions that could possibly make you very sick. Save these types of questions for professionals with the proper training to give you the advice you need.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're 5'6" and 115 lbs., and you're asking for low-calorie food suggestions?

Please, see a doctor.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have a lot of dietary restrictions, mostly because I'm allergic. I have Celiac disease and I am lactose intolerant (so I stay away from all dairy products in general), and I'm a vegetarian. (No, I don't eat fish, I have a shellfish allergy so I don't risk it.)

I am 5'6'' and fluctuate between 115 and 119 lbs. I run every day, strength train, and am physically active in general when I'm not studying like a maniac.

I have a challenging time trying to find foods with high amounts of protein and low calories to maintain my muscle mass. I just got injured running track (tendinitis in knee and ankle, torn IT band, and shin splints starting to form a stress fracture), so I want to avoid gaining ridiculous amounts of weight while I'm out. Any ideas?

My thoughts are this.....

First, I'm sorry you are injured and that you have so many dietary issues. That sucks.

Then I thought., you are very light and young to be having such injuries.

It then led me to think that you are probably under eating a lot.

I have a running friend like this who eats like a bird and is always injured. I keep urging her to fuel properly but I think she is using the running to keep herself very slim, which I kind of do to an extent, but I soon learned that I got injured and didn't heal when I was cutting.

5'6" 115 is just hovering on the bottom of healthy weight. That's normal for a runner. People don't understand how much faster you can go at that weight.

You should be eating at least 2000 cals on the days where you train for an hour.

You should be getting your 100g protein a day come rain or shine. What happens when you eat dairy? I'm lactose intolerant and a singer but it doesn't stop me from scarfing down tons of full fat Greek yoghurt a day.

Tofu, nuts, beans, pulses, you are in the perfect place to track your protein and fuel sources. I urge you to try meat again, because you are going to have to eat such high volumes to fuel properly.

Good luck.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You're 5'6" and 115 lbs., and you're asking for low-calorie food suggestions?

Please, see a doctor.

^^ This.