sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
I've seen this posted quite often:

Pounds per week
75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

So, because I am a bus driver and do not exercise too much, especially in the winter, I chose sedentary and 1 pound per week loss, in order to keep my daily calorie goal a bit above 1200.

However, I have taken a good look at my reports and realize that in fact I have been losing closer to 2 pounds a week over the past few months. I started at about 1400 calories but changed my goals to reflect my correct height after I asked my doctor to measure me, and lowered my goal weight by 10 pounds after doing research. This resulted in an adjusted daily calorie goal now, after 20+ pounds loss of 1300.

Because I have been consistently losing about 8 pounds a month, it seems to me that I can safely say that I have been eating about a 1,000 calorie a day deficit which would mean my maintenance calories are probably around 2200-2400. I probably am not really sedentary, as I do various activities including some part time work now and then which involves walking.

Now, regarding my question. After I lose another 10 or 15 pounds, I think I should slow my weight loss to 1.5 pound a week. For those with experience in figuring these things, do you think I should just change my activity level from sedentary to lightly active at that point, or should I manually increase the daily calorie intake to 1550 using custom settings? MFP will suggest 1550 if I change to lightly active, I think, if I keep it at sedentary. Probably less if I change goal to 1.5 per week.

Same question when I'm ready to lower loss to 1 lb per week.

I want to be sure that I don't do something that will cause my maintenance calories to fall, if possible.

I am 5'2", 63 y/o, 204 lbs right now. I have between 80 and 90 pounds left to lose at this point.

Thanks all!

Kathy