Makeup for a high calorie day?

briteyes
briteyes Posts: 435 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
So today is going to be a high calorie day. I am down to only 300 more cals for the day, after I exercise, I may be back up to 500 - 600, but today is my hubby's bday and we're going to Red Lobster for the All-You-Can-Eat Shrimp Fest, and while I don't plan on eating as much as I usually do, and I will order steamed veggies for the side, and only eat 1 biscuit, etc, i know that I'll be over on my calories for today.

So, what do you do when you go over? Can I decrease my net calories for the next few days? I don't have a lot of extra time to do a longer workout, so the only thing I can really do is eat less tomorrow and the next day, etc....

Replies

• kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    i'm in the same boat today and would love some feedback! thanks!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    love red lobster! I checked out their nutrition info online and they have some really reasonable choices-just go easy on the butter. Shrimp cocktail is low-call, so is shrimp. I did the pick-2 and got steak (280 cals) and crab legs (80 cals). Gotta budget for that cheesey biscuit, I know! 150 cals, FYI:)
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 414 Member
    I would suggest to just enjoy the evening. Obviously eat in moderation and only until you're full. However, it is good to have random high-calorie days everynow and again to shock your body. You're body will hit a plateau if you are eating the same amount everyday. So if you've stayed within your calorie limits for the past week than i think you'll be alright. Enjoy!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    You cannot transfer from day to day. Every day is it's own and your numbers cannot be wrapped onto another day.

We all have celebrations and things that come up sometimes. Just be frugal and as dedicated as you can be for the days following, especially drinking that water to get rid of all the excess sodium from restaurant food!

Have a great dinner!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    That's exactly what I do. I try to get in a longer workout (but you can't) and I eat a healthier diet. I don't go crazy about it though. As long as it's a rare splurge, that's part of life! Enjoy and have some shrimp for me!!
  • I agree with AlisaToth - it is good sometimes to shock yourself with a few extra calories.

And I'm not so sure about not transferring calories from day to day - I try to use a weekly average myself. Of course that doesn't mean that you should/could eat 5,000 calories 1 day and then like 300/day the rest of the week. But if it is a matter of a couple of hundred calories that you need to average out over the course of a few days I think that would be fine.

Just my opinion :)

Debi
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Just make sure you get in a good day of eating tomorrow. Which, of course, doesn't mean undereating. Drink lots of water to flush out the sodium and take in a healthy diet. Enjoy!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    seems like a trend tonight :)
    Enjoy it, and remember to pay attention to your body, stop eating when you're not hungry any more, don't eat just to eat...For me it helps to pay attention to my chewing. I know it sounds silly but that way I eat slower and I don't feel "pressure" to keep up with my husband or whoever else is over indulging.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    You know it is what it is and its what you do over the long haul not one particular day that matters. It takes, what 3500-3600 calories to burn a pound of fat? You can't do that in one day unless you're on the Biggest Loser and the experts say to look at what you do in a week. So take stock of the week - not that day - and figure out what to do next.

Exercise a bit on your day off , do heavy cardio in the evening and take a walk in morning to burn another 100, watch your portions extra closely the next few days. There are a lot of little things you can do to "make up" for going over but don't drive yourself insane- its all part of the learning process of how to balance those days with the rest of the week.
  • briteyes
    thanks everyone! yeah, i don't plan to overindulge, but i do want to have a nice time and not worry so much about my diet tonight. i plan on ordering the grilled shrimp, and i know my hubby is going to be eating for a long while after i'm done, but i'm going to be ok with that :)

i will make sure to drink plenty of water, before, during, and after, and to eat well tomorrow - lots of water, fruits and veggies.

this week in general has been tough because i've been coordinating a weeklong event at work, and i feel a little bit heavier even though i've been staying within my calorie allowance. probably too much sodium. so next week i need to behave and then the weekend will be a tough one, since it will be my bday and we're having a party, etc.... once all the festivities are over, maybe i should do a detox...lol
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    I say just enjoy ur evening and have no worries, and get right back on track 2morrow :-)
  • RissaE
    RissaE Posts: 26 Member
    This is too funny! I just went there last night for my sister's b-day and had endless shrimp. I had a garden salad with dressing on the side, stuck to the grilled shrimp and had a side of baked potato and veg. and also only one bun. Can you believe there is 150 cal.s per bun :-O .... enjoy!
  • briteyes
    AVOID the blended drinks like crazy!!! They are SUPER high in calories!

I used to work at a Red Lobster, and here are some tips:

1) get dressing on the side
    2) don't eat the croutons
    3) limit yourself to 1 biscuit (if any at all)
    4) ask for extra lemons and use these instead of drawn butter, cocktail sauce or tartar sauce
    5) anything grilled is best! scampi is another word for "soaked in butter", and the fried stuff is naughty, and the stuffed mushrooms are WAY bad for you
    6) get a baked potato with stuff on the side or veggies only, the rice & mashed have butter and/or cheese in them
    7) if you get a dessert, be sure to share

Hope you enjoy yourselves!

Thanks so much for this! I already checked out the nutrition facts, so I have a rough idea of what I want to eat. I always do dressing on the side w/ my salads (a habit I picked up from my hubby), was planning on doing 1 biscuit (even though i LOVE them), i will make sure to ask for lemons... i heard once that lemons actually help your stomach to shrink and makes you feeel fuller faster, too! i think i'll skip the potato and just do the veggies, no rice or mashed :) no drinks, only water! and definitely getting the grilled shrimp :) i think i'll do the all you can eat but only order grilled shrimp. so yummy! i will have fun and be happy!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Just enjoy your day imo. Your body will probably love those extra calories and put them to good use.

I know my aunt-in-law, she loses more weight on the weeks she has a cheat meal than the weeks where she doesn't. Kinda weird stuff.

Oh and btw, I'm sooo jealous that you are having a biscuit from Red Lobster. I love those biscuits!! They are soooo yummy! haha
  • GoChips333
    GoChips333 Posts: 12 Member
    Don't eat your exercise calories for the next two days, is what I would do.
This discussion has been closed.