Another lifting question...haaaalppp!!

Options
I had never lifted a single weight until a few months ago when I started being active on MFP(52 days ago to be exact ) so I am still a beginner and learning my way through it. I like to think that I lift "heavy" but I will admit that inexperience may be leading me to believe that I am doing things right when it could be wrong so if you could give me your opinions/advice that'd be great!

Stats:
5'8
SW:196
CW:178
GW:140-150

I do heavy cardio, HIIT 3-5x/week and lift 3x/week.

When I lift on my own I do 6-8 reps as heavy as I can BUT when I lift with my trainer we do weights for 1 minute, then pulses for 1 minute and finally a 10 second hold. For example, if I do the leg press with her I will do 135lbs full range for 60 seconds, 135lbs quick pulses for 60 seconds and then hold for 10. Then I will repeat with each leg individually at 90lbs. The difference is with her method I leg press 135lbs, but when I do it on my own at low rep I do 200lbs.

When I do biceps with her we do 3 sets of 16 reps with 15lbs, when I do biceps on my own I do 3 sets of 8 reps with 25lbs.

I have been seeing results and strength gains so I am not complaining but just curious which is better since I am losing weight and at a calories deficit so muscle gain is not possible/likely, correct? And isn't that the main idea behind heavy weight/low rep?

She asked me my fitness goals when we started and one of them is endurance/stamina so I think thats part of the reason she recommended this method for me. I probably don't need a trainer but I really enjoy it because she pushes me to my absolute limit and complete muscle failure, where sometimes when I am on my own I don't push myself hard enough.

Thanks for helpin' out a newbie!!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's fine. She's employing a time under tension strategy. There are many ways do accomplish your goals so feel free to try out different methods and see what you like.

Out b4 FIRE YOUR TRAINER AND DO STRONGLIFTS.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It's fine. She's employing a time under tension strategy. There are many ways do accomplish your goals so feel free to try out different methods and see what you like.

NAWLINS or GTFO
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I had never lifted a single weight until a few months ago when I started being active on MFP(52 days ago to be exact ) so I am still a beginner and learning my way through it. I like to think that I lift "heavy" but I will admit that inexperience may be leading me to believe that I am doing things right when it could be wrong so if you could give me your opinions/advice that'd be great!

Stats:
    5'8
    SW:196
    CW:178
    GW:140-150

I do heavy cardio, HIIT 3-5x/week and lift 3x/week.

When I lift on my own I do 6-8 reps as heavy as I can BUT when I lift with my trainer we do weights for 1 minute, then pulses for 1 minute and finally a 10 second hold. For example, if I do the leg press with her I will do 135lbs full range for 60 seconds, 135lbs quick pulses for 60 seconds and then hold for 10. Then I will repeat with each leg individually at 90lbs. The difference is with her method I leg press 135lbs, but when I do it on my own at low rep I do 200lbs.

When I do biceps with her we do 3 sets of 16 reps with 15lbs, when I do biceps on my own I do 3 sets of 8 reps with 25lbs.

I have been seeing results and strength gains so I am not complaining but just curious which is better since I am losing weight and at a calories deficit so muscle gain is not possible/likely, correct? And isn't that the main idea behind heavy weight/low rep?

She asked me my fitness goals when we started and one of them is endurance/stamina so I think thats part of the reason she recommended this method for me. I probably don't need a trainer but I really enjoy it because she pushes me to my absolute limit and complete muscle failure, where sometimes when I am on my own I don't push myself hard enough.

Thanks for helpin' out a newbie!!

Day 1 - Upper Body
    Day 2 - Lower Body
    REST
    Do it again.
    OR
    Day 1 - Push Day
    Day 2 - Pull Day
    Day 3 - Legs
    REST
    OR
    Day 1 - Chest and Arms
    Day 2 - Back and Shoulders
    Day 3 - Legs
    ETC
    ETC ETC

You should just keep it simple in the beginning, I dont know why your trainer is doing what he/she doing at this point in time. Later on when you get more experienced, you can do drop sets, super sets, negatives, etc...

Keep the rep range 8-12. Obviously if you're going heavier you won't be doing as much reps, so let the weight determine your rep range. Don't just grab some 2 lb dumbbell and do 8 reps. If you feel like you can do more than 12 reps then grab heavier weight.
    There are so many different splits you can do. I wouldn't waste money on a trainer, browse the internet and do some research.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

OP, fire your trainer and do stronglifts ;)
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

ha! awesome
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there! The way your training is set up looks actually like it's a lot of fun and a lot of variety. As long as you're not getting exhausted, tired, or generally feel like you are overtraining, stay with it for a while longer!
    You're still a beginner, and as long as you can afford a trainer, keep her. It's safer to have somebody around to teach proper form, especially considering the tough sessions she's putting you through.
    There is no bad or better in the kind of workouts you do. They all have benefits. Look at it this way: There are different types of muscle fibers. Some can be trained for speed, strength, and power, the others will go the distance. Picture athletes that compete in 100m dash and those that run marathons. Depending on your fitness goal, you will eventually zero in on the type of muscles you want (or need, if you train for a specific sport), and you will then have the experience to modify your training on your own. Any variety in your lifts, be it speed, weight, angle, or number of sets/reps will keep your body and your muscles guessing and improving over time. What you are doing right now, is giving your body an all-over wakeup call. Enjoy!
    Don't wreck your brain too much over numbers. How much you are lifting in numbers doesn't really matter as long as you are improving overall. It always depends on the individual training session anyway. I only compare numbers when I dedicate training days to one compound lift, e.g. deadlift days, squat days....
    Happy lifting and good luck!