Only ate 748 calories today

Options
It is nearly 7:30 now and I have been eating very healthfully and I feel satisfied and full but I have only ate 748 calories.
I like to eat around 1,300-1,400 a day, but I am just not very hungry today. Last night I binged on a ridiculous amount of food so I don't know if that may have something to do with my non-existent appetite. Should I just try to up my calorie intake tomorrow, eat the same tomorrow?, stuff my face until I have reached my calorie intake goal? this is causing me some anxiety because I know this isn't healthy. What should I do?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it'll work itself out over a week, no need to do anything.
  • Smokey705
    Smokey705 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If your not hungry don't eat. Exspecially if you pigged out last night. Nothing wrong with being under calories sometimes. Drink a bottle of water and forget all about it.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I really try to at least hit the 1200 mark. Maybe make a peanut butter shake with, almond milk, ice, greek yogurt, a banana and a couple tbl spoons of peanut butter. That should raise it up at least 350 cals.
  • nataliemlyman93
    Options
    If you aren't hungry then you aren't hungry. Its fine to be under every now and then. If it was all the time, then you would need to make a purpose of eating more. Just make sure you eat a good breakfast tomorrow before you workout.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Every now and then is fine, especially if you overate yesterday.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of them, no need to do anything. There are occasional days I feel sick or I don't feel hungry, and I won't push myself to eat more. I'm not afraid of starvation mode, and I do eat enough calories most days.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I disagree with a lot of people here, since you should always regardless aim to hit 1,200 minimum. It's better to have a snack and at least get over 1,000 so that your metabolism doesn't slow and so that you don't wake up ravenous tomorrow morning making you more likely to binge. I'm sorry you had a binge yesterday and I know how much it can affect your appetite the next day (since some of the food does seemingly sit there a lot longer), but just have a light calorie dense snack or two if you can, and head to sleep.

You can eat mindfully as long as you're eating enough, but I think on days like today it would be wise to eat even though you're not hungry, just to make sure you get your macros and caloric intake close enough. Have something like peanut butter! A few spoonfuls should help you out!

Regardless, the worst thing to do after a binge is not eat enough. <3
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It will not hurt you to eat less one day anymore than it will hurt you to eat more tomorrow. You are not a machine that runs on gas. You are much more sophisticated than that. I have even heard that it is healthy to fast occassionally. I think it is important for weight loss to average 1200-1400 calories a day but that can happen over a number of days. I'm not going to say a week because I don't want you to get all worried tomorrow that it has been a week and you are not at an average number of calories. Health, weight loss, your body- all individual things that you have to learn by doing what feels good for you. Good luck.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It's better to have a snack and at least get over 1,000 so that your metabolism doesn't slow and so that you don't wake up ravenous tomorrow morning making you more likely to binge.

Your metabolism will not slow from one low day.

If OP is hungry tomorrow morning, OP still has 400 calories from today left that could be used tomorrow if hungry. I consider it more likely that OP will be feeling normal tomorrow -- this is what usually happens to me after I overeat, is that I have one non-hungry day and then return to normal the next day.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    1 thing ppl fail to do is count fat calories maybe you ate double that amount .. but if your eating fruit & veggies only then thats accurate enough sense most of them dont have fat cals
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Did you eat your protein number? I think that's the most important when you have a low calorie day.
  • SPCLeague
    Options
    I haven't eaten all that many Fats today (18 out of MFP suggested 47)
  • SPCLeague
    Options
    I ate 49 out of MFP suggested 70 protein 'score'
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    OP is 18.
    I'm appalled at people encouraging this.

please if you can try to eat more. It's ok.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    1 thing ppl fail to do is count fat calories maybe you ate double that amount .. but if your eating fruit & veggies only then thats accurate enough sense most of them dont have fat cals

What are you talking about? This makes no sense.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what people say a lot around here, if you go under on your calories a day here and there, it will be productive to your weight loss goals. Just don't make a habit of it, or it will have negative consequences (slower metabolism, possibly, but more likely it will lead to more binges).

The end game is finding a lifestyle change that you can sustain, so a day over or under here and there won't ruin what you're trying to accomplish as long as it averages out to a healthy and sustainable diet.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not the best indicator of what your body needs.

If you are used to eating more you will wake up tomorrow tired, lethargic, no energy etc.

Eat some food...1/2cup of ice cream has about 270 calories...so eat 1cup of ice cream...
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    If you are using the app, you can see where you stand calories wise for the week. It is under the nutrition tab. If your binge yesterday is enough to cover yesterday and the bit you have left over today then you should be fine e as long as undereating today won't lead to a binge tomorrow. If you think it will lead to a binge or just don't want to risk eat, eat two-four tbsps of peanut butter and that will bump you up a little bit calories wise.
  • SPCLeague
    Options
    K, I am going to make something to eat (Thinking of making a Almond butter sandwich, Small bow of ceral with almond milk, and some sort of a snack on the side) and see where that ends me :)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    9 fat calories per gram is the way to count your fat calories also 1 gram of fat = 9 fat cals