Guilt

Options
Not so much of a question, more a comment and a solicitation of feedback.

Does anyone else ever feel guilty when eating? I'm not talking about 'good' guilt, the kind of guilt you should feel if you just pigged out on ice-cream and cheese cake. I am talking about guilt over eating even a nutritionally sound meal and still being below caloric requirements for the day?

I went into this determined to get in great shape for my birthday (a few months away yet). So far things are going great and I am halfway to my goal. What I didn't count on was being afraid to eat.

I know enough not to starve myself (been there...done that....never lasts), so I am doing my best to eat about 1800 cals a day but I still have a fear of eating. Anyone else feel that?

I guess some guilt is good...it keeps us from overdoing it, and making healthy choices but why the heck am I regretting eating even a healthy meal? Somewhere in the back of my mind I think to myself....I didn't really need those 400 cals, and it is a senseless thought. BUT I CAN"T HELP IT.

I am super happy that I refuse to eat garbage food anymore, I look at the calories and I say...'that aint worth the 500 cals'. That is just good willpower. But I want to enjoy food, and I dont want to fear it. I know food is suppose to fuel the furnace, but I am at the point where fear is ruling my common sense and making me not want to eat ever.

As mentioned above, I am not going to starve myself...I know enough to eat, but for some reason (especially at dinner) I feel guilty for eating a full plate, despite the fact that I am making great choices!

Thanks in advance everyone.....curious how others feel.

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I don't. I think when we start to fear, it is starting to tease that line between normal and disordered thinking. Food is fuel. Even if you were to say, overindulge, it isn't the end of the world. You can make up a bad day. But especially if you're staying within your means, there's absolutely no reason to feel guilty for fueling yourself. I would just work on not feeling this way, as that's a slippery slope. You don't deserve to feel guilt. Though, I take the road of not seeing food as good or bad. All foods are fine in the context of a balanced diet. No guilt. Only a forever l process of learning and growing through eating within your means.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't. I think when we start to fear, it is starting to tease that line between normal and disordered thinking. Food is fuel. Even if you were to say, overindulge, it isn't the end of the world. You can make up a bad day. But especially if you're staying within your means, there's absolutely no reason to feel guilty for fueling yourself. I would just work on not feeling this way, as that's a slippery slope. You don't deserve to feel guilt. Though, I take the road of not seeing food as good or bad. All foods are fine in the context of a balanced diet. No guilt. Only a forever l process of learning and growing through eating within your means.

That's how I see it too.

I think food related guilt is a bad sign. You should never feel guilty for giving your body what it needs to thrive.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do not feel guilty if my choices are what I consider healthy.
    However, I do struggle with guilt if I eat too many foods I do not consider healthy, such as cake, chocolate, cookies etc...especially if my weight goes up as a result. But certainly, I agree guilt over food is not a healthy or productive mindset and I wish I could eliminate my own issues with it.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    I think food related guilt is a bad sign. You should never feel guilty for giving your body what it needs to thrive.
    I agree.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think feeling guilty about normal food intake is a warning sign that perhaps one is becoming too concerned/obsessed with food and dieting.

I experienced some variety of this feeling about 2 months ago, when I was a month or two into my weight loss journey. I would really beat myself up over going over the calories for the day, and when I ate could not stop thinking about how many calories were in my food, and constantly worried about calorie burn when exercising. I got extremely fed up with thinking like that, took a few days off from logging and ate enough to satisfy myself on those days. It REALLY helped my mindset, and when I went back and logged what I had eaten on those days after the fact out of curiosity, I had done really well. And my obsessing was quelled by taking a few days off from logging it all.

So, I'd suggest taking several days off from logging and make an effort to enjoy your food, and to cease worrying about your intake for those few days.

The only time I let myself feel guilty about food now is if I have gone several hundred calories over my limit for the day. I make it up the next day or two, which is admittedly not the best thing to do-- many people on here suggest not ever trying to "make up" for going over on subsequent days, but it works for me when I need to do it.

There is nothing wrong with eating good, healthy food in sufficient quantities to fuel your body and your exercising. You DO need those 400 cals, if they're part of your daily 1800!

It sounds like you have successfully changed your eating habits from junk food to healthier choices. You made that change-- so that means you can change something else about your attitude towards food-- the guilt. You have the power to change your feelings and habits in that way, too. :)

I wonder: is anyone around you potentially contributing to you feeling like eating a full plate is too much/bad? Or is it past habits/thinking coming back to bite you? Some things to think about.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I know its not good to feel guilty, and I don't let it keep me from eating. Honest!

I was just wondering if people felt the same. I know its not good, its most likely part of my make-up. I tend to be an all or nothing person and I guess I am getting compulsive about it. I'm sure it will pass, as I get used to eating properly...

Crieddylad....As a person who was overweight for 30 years, I still have some deep rooted issues with food. I've kept the worst habits at bay for nearly a decade, but occasionally things like this show up that tell me I have some things to work on still.No one around me is to blame. This is all on me :)

Thanks for sharing gang, and keep the comments coming. I feel better already and am gonna go make a nice big bowl of cottage cheese and yogurt with some fresh almonds and fruit :)
  • citrusy
    citrusy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everyone else hit it on the head, feeling guilty about food is a bad sign. Even if it's "bad" food, letting yourself feel too guilty just leads to an unhealthy relationship with food and low self esteem. It's just bad all around.
    If you're eating healthy and giving your body what it needs, definitely no need to feel guilty.
    If you just ate a pint of ben and jerrys and screwed up your calories for the day, deep breath, let it go, get back on your regimen tomorrow.
    Bang ups and hang ups happen, and feeling guilty will just stall your progress. Remember that willpower is a finite resource, and when you beat yourself up about your food consumption it can hurt your confidence and result in a decrease in willpower because "I just mess it up anyway"
    Maybe I'm off base with that, but that's been my experience.
    Honestly, if you're having these feelings about food, even healthy foods that are a part of your regimen I would recommend seeking out a nutrition therapist. Working out issues you have around food is only going to help you on your journey.

Best of luck!