Stop! You're wasting away!!

Options
Someone actually said to me today to stop losing weight because i look like I'm starving and should be laying on the ground wasting away with flies all around me (a reference to those poor starving kids I'm guessing?). Just saying it because they are concerned and worried about me.... ummmm what?? hahahah

Why do people say things like that!? I don't understand :grumble:

For the record i am 5 6', 130lbs and i still have plenty of fat on my body. I eat 5 mini meals a day. All of which are natural, wholesome and nutritious, and i never feel deprived. But i should definitely look into getting some help for this lifestyle! Because you know... better quality of sleep, reduced migraines, decreased risk of diseases, elimination of my depression and anxiety, increased confidence, energy and happiness, an awesome sex life with my boyfriend and an increase in overall quality of life is definitely something to be concerned about, right? :noway: Okay, I'm done venting.

Replies

• Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i am 5'7" and my goal is 135. i have been as low as 122lbs before and feel i was was on the brink of being too thin. i believe 130 is a good weight for your height.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Omg! I have heard some bad insults along these lines (in other forum posts about this topic), but... Wow! That person really took it to another level with all that detail.

It's not true. Good for you on your fitness!! Some people are silly.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    People are idiots. Some think stuff like that is a compliment.

I'm about your size. It isn't too skinny.
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    People... :grumble:

And isn't it funny that sometimes who says that is thinner than you?
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Don't judge by scales - go off how you look and feel
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Ps ignore th "idiots"
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    They're just not used to the change. Do what's best for YOU, not them. :flowerforyou:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    You just can't please some people, they will always have something to say. I had that as well. I was getting too skinny, then now I'm too fat, etc. etc. Ugh. Don't listen to the haters!
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who sometimes tells me I'm too thin and should stop losing weight, the funny thing is it's always when I'm still overweight (not that I'm saying you are, you clearly sound like a perfect weight) she never mentions my weight when I'm at a healthy BMI. I've come to the conclusion that she's jealous and doesn't like me losing weight cos she wants to be thinner than me. Wierd.
    This person who said that to you sounds jealous too.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    theyre just jealous coz u look HOT !
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I get told things like that by my family. Albeit not as extreme of course, only along the lines of 'You want to lose MORE weight? You're already so much thinner than you were!" or "I don't think you'll look good with less weight now, you're at perfect weight"
    even though I've only started my weightloss journey and am still 15 pounds overweight / very close to the 'unhealthy weight' area I was in a month or two ago...
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    For some reason, no matter what your body looks like, people feel it is their right to comment on it. Just ignore them.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You have little to no control over what other people say and think .... So,to reduce your stress level - try not to sweet it.

Morons be morons - **** them :-p
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My own MOTHER made a comment like this to me, I am 5.9 and I was 145lbs, I did look slim and just right and I was happy with my body. My mum used to tell everyone I was anorexic and she was going to force feed me! now Im overweight its..shes too fat and Im sure she is emotional eating. some people wanna mind their own business, tell em so too!
  • enks07
    enks07 Posts: 74
    Options
    I had somebody saying nearly the same thing to me.

"I didn't want to say anything but look at you, you're starving yourself."

No, I'm not. I'm being active and I'm eating healthy most of the time. This isn't starving to me.

I believe that the majority of the people saying crap like that is just jealous because they can't do it themselves. I try to ignore any kinds of comments, both negative and positive, but sometimes it's quite difficult to do so, especially when it comes from family members.
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When I was fat, my mum used to keep on at me to lose weight.

Now, she keeps telling me I've lost enough and that I should stop.

At 14st 8lb (204lb), I've clearly not lost enough weight and I'm still marching towards my goal. I just let it wash over me.
  • 2BeFitMama
    2BeFitMama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, OP! Just yesterday my mom asked me if I was starving myself. :/
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" too and 130 bls is my goal weight :) I used to be 130 lbs but I had a period of regain, however when I was closer to 130 I got the same kind of comment you did. It actually made me pretty upset, but I tried not to let it show. There could be different reasons someone will say something like that to you, could be because they are genuinely concerned, or they could be jealous. Good news, the comments will eventually go away... because your weight will become the new 'norm'. Perhaps people are just not used to seeing you at this weight right now, but they will eventually.
  • HariannePotter
    Options
    I've lost sixteen kilograms (About 35 lbs I think?) since September and I've started getting those kind of comments too, I tell people I've still 70-ish lbs to go, and they immediately assume I've got this unhealthy fixation and that I'm going to be anorexic, and that I'm fine just as I am (at 204ish lbs for 5ft 5in, I don't really think so)...
    I've come to the conclusion that it's a combination of people seeing you change and seeing you look better and better, and of people not aware of what healthy living and fitness is.

I think that people that haven't gone through the getting slimmer healthily business don't really get the "obese/overweight" thing. When I tell them I've got all that weight to lose, I get the outraged reaction you say too, but then I tell them just how much I do weight now and my target weight, and then they calm down and are all "oh, that's acceptable".

They do see that you are overweight, but they do not know just how much. In my experience, that's all there is to it.

And for some reason, I've noticed that being obese is much more acceptable than being anorexic, and I don't really understand that: they are both two very unhealthy and dangerous conditions, so why?
    Oh, well...
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good point! It may be because no one is used to seeing me at a healthy weight or even maybe jealously, i never thought of it that way. Thank you for all the compliments and continued support :blushing: I don't believe i would be as successful without this site and everyone i have met. Still sort of disappointing that the support from real life friends is so limited :/ Oh well, carry on with our journey's :)