Not losing

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Except our bodies aren't closed systems, and its actually more complicated than just calories in vs out.

No our bodies aren't closed systems. If they were closed systems then there would not be any in or out at all because the definition of a closed system is a system that does not exchange matter or energy with the environment. Our bodies are open systems exchanging both energy and matter with the environment. Hence the fact that we have calories coming in and calories coming out.

The idea that calories represent the sum total of your energy expenditure and intake is true simply because your energy expenditure and intake is literally measured in terms of calories. If your energy expenditure exceeds your energy intake then you will lose mass over time. This is true in an open system.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Stress causes the body to produce cortisol. Google it and you'll see all it's negativity

Coritsol doesn't prevent you from losing weight if you are eating at a deficit. Eating at a deficit means by definition you are eating below maintenance and by definition that means you will lose weight. Cortisol levels might cause your caloric needs to diminish which means you would need to eat less to eat at a deficit but that does not make the statement that you aren't eating at a deficit if you aren't losing weight a false statement.

So stress and cortisol does not prevent you from losing weight if you eat at a deficit.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am logging accurately. Scanning foods when it is available, weighing or measuring as appropriate. I work as a home health nurse, a lot of driving with short moments of activity throughout the day. Mostly walking doing basic patient care.. I have a polar heart rate monitor and if I wear it on a normal day (for 24 hours) it says I burn 1600-1900 calories. I am eating 1200-1400 a day. Walking 45 minutes 2-3 times a week. I do not believe it is me eating too much. If anything since I have been trying to be accountable, I have had to add evening snacks to meet my calorie needs.

Your heart rate monitor isn't meant for that and likely giving you wildly inaccurate calorie burns. It works well for tracking calories during cardiovascular exercise and that's it.
  • lckennedy00
    Options
    I would also recommend weight training to increase muscle mass ( not size) if you are not already doing so. That means your body would be able to burn fat more efficiently. You may want to set up a session with a personal trainer to assist you with this.