Spaghetti squash / Thanksgiving dinner

egbkid
egbkid Posts: 164 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Does anyone have a recipe to use spaghetti squash? My father called tonight for a headcount for Thanksgiving Sunday and he said i could make something different! :-)

(reason being is : I asked mom a week ago if i could make something different and she said 'No make an apple crumble' (my parents are meat & potatoes people, nothing 'weird', i am lucky i can bring anything at all, because i like to try new stuff, i can't cook apparently and am therefore not allowed to bring anything to family meals.) I think i tricked my dad, i asked him if mom still wanted me to bring the apple crumble or something different...he called to mom, who said i don't care....i think they meant something else, not something 'different' hehe

We usually have potatoes, acorn squash, carrots, turkey (of course), stuffing, and many different pickles (homemade), this year we are also having a ham. Would spaghetti squash go with this menu? If not, any suggestions what i could take instead?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Replies

• trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    I love spaghetti squash and find it to be very versatile. I love it in place of pasta, with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese on it. But it is equally delicious with some salt and pepper and butter on it, too -- possibly with a sprinkle of cinnamon as well!
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Check out allrecipes.com -- they have many recipes for spaghetti squash.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaghetti-Squash-I/Detail.aspx
  • Spagetti squash is one of my favorites. You can put the whole thing in the microwave for about 4 mins, Put some slits in it with a knife. After it gets soft, take it out and cut it in half . Take the seeds out and place it on a plate with alittle water.
    Like the previous entry, I like it with salt and pepper and fresh grated parm cheese.
    But when my boys were little we had it with my favorite Marinara sauce on it. Good luck, practise with one before you go, you can freeze the cooked squash .
  • egbkid
    awesome, everyone thank you. Good idea to practice first, i shall pick up 2 tomorrow and start cooking :-)
  • Spaghetti squash is great in a gratin. Here's one version:

http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/2009/09/spaghetti-squash-gratin-recipe.html

Spaghetti Squash Gratin Recipe
    (makes 4-6 servings)
    Loosely adapted from this recipe.

1 spaghetti squash
    salt and pepper
    1 cup sour cream (use lowfat)
    2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
    1/4 cup Romano cheese, shredded

Cook spaghetti squash. (You can do this lots of ways, I poked it all over with a fork and bake it at 400F for 1 hour.) Preheat oven to 400F. Remove seeds from squash. Scrape squash strands into a mixing bowl and discard skin. Toss with chives, sour cream, half of the cheese, and lots of salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes. If not browned on top, turn on broiler and broil until browned. Watch closely. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. (This reheats well, we ate it again the next night.)

Note: I think you can play with the cheese. I like shredded Jarlsberg or Swiss, with some Parmesan mixed in.

www.kalynskitchen.com has some recipes as well. Her Spaghetti Squash Chard Gratin looks pretty good.

Another suggestion: Google "cleochatra spaghetti squash". She makes a Mexican and Italian version of a squash casserole. This is more of a one-dish meal, however. But it's really very good for another time. She uses egg in the casserole to make it more firm, as though you were using noodles or something starchy.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Try butternut squash instead, its more thanksgiving appropriate IMO. Just cut it into cubes and bake in some EVOO, se salt and black pepper until tender. Its delicious but I sitll prefer sweet potatos.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    bump
  • egbkid
    I took a recipe from the Kraft website, cook & shred the squash, add 1/4 cup Parmesan and 1/2 cup mozza shreds and a tomato chopped. No one ate it but myself and my older sister. Boo. It was to 'different'.
This discussion has been closed.