I am not sure i am eating enough

Options
Hi All,

I really need your help

I have lost a lot of weight in the last 8 months! (About 4.7 stones)I managed to reach my goal and I would like to keep it up and not to over do either way!.

From one side I feel what I eat every day is not enough from the other I think that if i start eating more then I would put all the weight back on.

So far the weight has never went up but always down. which makes me happy from one side, but not from the other as I am hoping I am not restricting too much! .

Before people start panicking, I am on an healthy weight, 70 * 1.75! and I do not want to lose anymore ! i am happy the way I look and I enjoying going to the gym and eating healthy!

Am I just over worried or I actually have an issue with food?

More details:

I count the calories of whatever I eat
I weight myself everyday
I feel a bit tired at times( This might also be due to the fact that I am working a lot(office job though)
I do eat always more then 2000 calories(about 2200/2300) a day
I go to the gym 5-6 times a week for about 1 -1.5 hours max

I took blood and everything seems to be perfectly fine.

Please tell me if I am getting sick or it is just being a bit too concern

Many Thanks to whoever will take the time to go through this!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's normal to worry about putting the weight back on, but logically - you know that isn't going to (and can't) happen overnight. You weigh yourself every day, so you will soon know if you are eating the right amount. If you gradually start to gain, you are eating too much. If you continue to lose, you aren't eating enough.

Just be mindful that weight fluctuates all the time, even when you're maintaining, so don't freak out over an overnight gain/loss of a couple of pounds. Weigh every day, but look at the trend of what your weight is doing over time. If you've only just started eating at what you think is your maintenance level - also be aware that it's very common to gain a few pounds going into maintenance. This isn't fat, but water weight due to your glycogen stores filling up. It's the opposite of when people lose a big chunk of water weight in their first week or two of cutting calories. Again - don't panic! Let your weight settle and see where it goes from there.

Bottom line - if the weight is going down, then you're not maintaining. You're not eating enough to maintain.
  • lucacaretto7
    lucacaretto7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thank you very much for your reply. Let's put this way, the way lose slowed down considerably since I increased the amount of food i eat. however what annoys me the most is the fact that I feel like I think to much about it. no that I feel hungry of anything but all that planning and measuring is tiring me . I know that the answer would be .. just stop. however i feel like forced too.

I am not doing anything "wrong " or unusual, IE vomiting or skipping meals.! I am eating about 2200 calories, however since i lost weight I feel like I am much more sensitive to cold!.. is that normal?? sorry for the amounts of questions, but there are so many information on the Internet(about eating disorders ect).

Just concern or at risk? :S

MANYYYYY thanks,
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    thank you very much for your reply. Let's put this way, the way lose slowed down considerably since I increased the amount of food i eat. however what annoys me the most is the fact that I feel like I think to much about it. no that I feel hungry of anything but all that planning and measuring is tiring me . I know that the answer would be .. just stop. however i feel like forced too.

I am not doing anything "wrong " or unusual, IE vomiting or skipping meals.! I am eating about 2200 calories, however since i lost weight I feel like I am much more sensitive to cold!.. is that normal?? sorry for the amounts of questions, but there are so many information on the Internet(about eating disorders ect).

MANYYYYY thanks,

Since losing weight I feel the cold a lot more and I think its completely normal, I also find that my butt aches more on long car journeys as well due to a certain lack of padding
  • Cyan99
    Cyan99 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

MANYYYYY thanks,

I think that you're overthinking the fact that you're overthinking!

Getting into a rhythm with maintenance is just as hard as losing weight, and so it's normal that you'll spend time planning and measuring and thinking about it for a while, it's a tricky business. Given a bit of time you'll figure out how much you should be eating, get into a routine, and not have to think about it so much.

As long as your attitude towards food is about being healthy, you don't have any issue with it, it's just a matter of spending a little time figuring out how much food you need to maintain.

Also, I would recommend not weighing every day, but once a week or so, then you're less likely to stress over small weight fluctuations and more likely to see a trend over time.
  • lucacaretto7
    Options
    I have got the same issue! .. butt more sensitive too..

Is that due to less fat .. maybe?

MANYYYYY thanks,

Since losing weight I feel the cold a lot more and I think its completely normal, I also find that my butt aches more on long car journeys as well due to a certain lack of padding
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Re: cold, imagine wearing enough clothes/blankets around your body to equal 4.7 stone--you'd be pretty warm, right! And when you take it off, you'd be chilled. Okay, it doesn't work exactly like that, but still, the fat was insulation and now that it is gone you will feel cold, but eventually you will adjust and feel normal.

Re: your calories, I plugged your numbers & activity into an online calculator and it says that 2300 is a weight loss deficit and you should eat closer to 2800 per day for maintenance, but that is JUST an estimate and it is highly personal, so you should experiment. But the fact that you are tired/sluggish probably indicates you should slowly start to increase your calories a bit. Be warned though, you will see an instant increase in your weight, due to water/glycogen. THIS IS NOT NOT NOT FAT. Don't be worried about gaining fat with that initial increase. Let your weight go up (maybe 2-3kg) and then make that your new set point to watch for increase/decrease to see if your calorie intake is right or not. Once you figure out what you should be eating, continue to weigh and measure until you feel like you know what's what and then you might experiement with NOT weighing and measuring all the time to see if you can maintain your weight that way and in order to relax your attitude toward eating a bit. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a pretty healthy outlook on the whole thing. Good luck.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I actually went to a Doctor who specializes in helping performing artists find their right weight range. I lost 10 pounds after I hit my goal weight without trying, and although I felt great and had more energy than I had had in a long time, it was reassuring to get his advice based on my body frame, etc. There is a big difference between what the charts say is "normal" and "healthy" vs being "fit and energetic" in my opinion/experience.

I have days where it's a snap to eat 2000 calories and days where reaching my minimum of 1300 gets missed. but over a couple of days or a week it all averages out. I move more and don't sit still for more than an hour. I have to stand up now for at least 10 minutes of every hour as it doesn't feel natural to sit still that long.

So some of us who settle "naturally" into the lower end of our healthy weight range do have to always carry a sweater,event in Houston in the summer as the air conditioning is always set too low. I have to keep hydrated, it helps when I step out in to the inferno of Texas Summers.

I have found that the more I eat nutritionally dense foods - proteins, avocados , nuts, etc the "easier" it is to maintain.

Enjoy your new fitness lifestyle!
  • lucacaretto7
    Options
    The blanket example seems good to me lol:)

Also 2800?? Dont you think is far too much? o.o
    Re: cold, imagine wearing enough clothes/blankets around your body to equal 4.7 stone--you'd be pretty warm, right! And when you take it off, you'd be chilled. Okay, it doesn't work exactly like that, but still, the fat was insulation and now that it is gone you will feel cold, but eventually you will adjust and feel normal.

Re: your calories, I plugged your numbers & activity into an online calculator and it says that 2300 is a weight loss deficit and you should eat closer to 2800 per day for maintenance, but that is JUST an estimate and it is highly personal, so you should experiment. But the fact that you are tired/sluggish probably indicates you should slowly start to increase your calories a bit. Be warned though, you will see an instant increase in your weight, due to water/glycogen. THIS IS NOT NOT NOT FAT. Don't be worried about gaining fat with that initial increase. Let your weight go up (maybe 2-3kg) and then make that your new set point to watch for increase/decrease to see if your calorie intake is right or not. Once you figure out what you should be eating, continue to weigh and measure until you feel like you know what's what and then you might experiement with NOT weighing and measuring all the time to see if you can maintain your weight that way and in order to relax your attitude toward eating a bit. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a pretty healthy outlook on the whole thing. Good luck.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The blanket example seems good to me lol:)

Also 2800?? Dont you think is far too much? o.o

Well you said that your are still losing on your current intake, how much are you losing on average each week? If you are eating 2,200 and losing 1 lb per week then you can add about 500 calories per day, if you are losing 0.5 lb per week you have 250 calories today to play with. Maybe add calories in small steps, 100/150 then monitor over 4 weeks. If you still lose then add in a few more and keep going until you seem to be maintaining (your weight will still fluctuate up and down in maintenance so don't let a small gain panic you its longer term trends you want to monitor)
  • Gizzy1976
    Gizzy1976 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count calories now, I would just eat and drink healthy, have everything in moderation and go on the scales once a week ????
  • lucacaretto7
    Options
    I know this is the right thing to do.. however after 8 months on a diet it is not that easy to switch and not "controlling". I do not want to lose anymore weight but i am concern that if i let it go then it will be impossible to get back on track aww
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It is totally hard to be in maintenance mode or else so many people wouldn't have needed to lose so much weight in the first place. I think you have to think of it as a balance, that sometimes your weight will be up, sometimes down, but as long as it stays within a certain range, then you're fine. And if you step on the scale (I would advise only weighing once a week to avoid scale obsession) and you are outside of your accepted range, then do a bit of deficit until you are back within range. This is how people manage their weight for life, although I know it's hard after being in deficit mode to be ok with such scale fluctuations. I struggle with it myself. One day at a time. If you splurge one day, eat less the next few and do more moving around. You have to find what works for your body.
    And over thinking things is a natural reaction after being in deficit mode becasue we have so much control over our progress, and when we switch to maintenance, we still want that control, but it's such a delicate balance with happiness since we can't spend all of our waking moments worrying about maintenance or we won't be happy.
    I wish you the very best in your maintenance endeavor.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I take my hat off to you - I couldn't do that much gym, no wonder you're tired!
  • lucacaretto7
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your help and support! .. and yes like everyone says it is so hard to switch to a more relax life. On the other hand not switching would mean frustration as well. As you can not keep controlling every single meal you eat for the rest of your life.

Relaxing from the other side is very hard. So much hard work and the last thing you want to do it is losing everything.

I will try hard not to get on the scale for a week and eat a bit more. Trying to upper to 2500/2600( WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THIS NEW TARGET?).

please let me know what your opion is:).. it is very important to be supported on this!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    The 2800 was based on your gender, weight, height, and ACTIVITY (and age guess)--male, 70kg, 175cm, 5-6hrs/wk, guessed age 25. You are hitting the gym nearly daily for a nice long session, but it really depends also on your level of effort, etc. As I said, the calculator gives an estimate and every body is different. Adding some calories a little at a time is the best way to know for sure. Just remember NOT to freak out when you go up 5-6lbs at first. It can happen in a very short time (day or two after increasing calories) and it is water & glycogen. It is NOT FAT. After that initial jump in weight, you'll start to feel what is your calorie target based on how you feel and what the scale is doing on a weekly basis. One thing that might happen is that you may start to feel much better and able to work harder at the gym, which can cause your calorie needs to go up even more. You really have to monitor how you are feeling and how hard you are working vs. calorie intake, if you want to slow/stop the weight loss now. Good luck!

eta: 2500 is a good place to start, monitor and increase from there until you settle
  • lucacaretto7
    Options
    Thanks for your answer . This is great stuff and I will follow your advice..However I am a bit confused . when I go to the gym and for instance I burn 300 Cal through running. should I add them to my call... which is 2500+300 or the 2500 should be enough either way ??

Thank you
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    In this case, I ran the numbers with 5-6hrs/wk workout computed into the result, so you wouldn't have to add and eat those back, unless you do an exceptional workout (like running a race one weekend, or something like that). As long as your activity stays the same as you stated, which was 5-6days/week @1-1.5hrs ea., then just keep the cals the same every day.
  • lucacaretto7
    Options
    Oh OK I thought so. Will do it and see how it goes. I hope it works =)

thank you very much again
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I would say you are very much on top of things and the fact that you are tracking your food and weighing regularly means you should be able to see immediately if something is off. You might want to start adding in a few more calories/day to see how that works. You don't want to be too restrictive as you want this (and by that I mean the way you eat and exercise) to be something you can do for life.
  • lucacaretto7
    Options
    I know . but as you were saying it is a life thing and therefore I can't be doing this all my life. obviously at the moment I am a bit worried. as I want to eat a bit more but I am scare to put weight back on. And yep it's true maintaining is harder than loosing aww