Pescatarian wholefood ideas for meals please?

Options
Hi, we're trying to cut out processed food and eat all wholefoods. We're pescatarian (ish), not fanatical about it, occasionally eat organic meat but it's not a regular feature, I've been using a lot of quorn for stir fries and savoury salads but I'm rapidly going off the idea as it is definitely processed but I'm short on ideas to replace it.
Would appreciate any ideas for natural meals that are relatively cheap, quick but most of all nutritious.
I haven't used tofu much so ideas on how to use that in a TASTY way would be good.
We like salads, stir fries, noodles, ramen, eggs, cheese (does this count as a wholefood? I'm guessing not?), tuna, cod, prawns, all vegetables, oats, fruits and nuts, olive oil etc.
Thank you x

Replies

• SophieLPxx
    SophieLPxx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a pescatarian too. I don't know if this is what your looking for but I tend to eat a wrap. Find a healthy wrap bread ( warnurtons do a nice one) then had lettuce, quorn chicken and whatever takes your fancy. Good luck!
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would get a good vegetarian cookbook and experiment. I have one called the enchanted broccoli forest (silly name but interesting recipes!)

Also my go-to, Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast series has tons of fish and vegetarian recipes plus the added bonus of soups and salads, all made in 15 mins. My fav non-meat recipes from those books are parmesan broiled tilapia, rosemary-tomato sautéed polenta, stuffed mushrooms and jamaican rice and bean soup. (the latter has bacon which you could easily sub out).

Both of these recommendations use fresh ingredients, mostly "whole foods", the cooking light books have some shortcuts to keep the recipes under 15 mins, like uncle ben's ready rice, but you can get precooked brown rice without any additives at trader joes.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi, we're trying to cut out processed food and eat all wholefoods. We're pescatarian (ish), not fanatical about it, occasionally eat organic meat
    So your not actually a Pescetarian then?
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi, we're trying to cut out processed food and eat all wholefoods. We're pescatarian (ish), not fanatical about it, occasionally eat organic meat
    So your not actually a Pescetarian then?
    No. That's why I said ISH and qualified that by saying we occasionally eat organic meat. Sheesh people get so hung up on here. I'm simply describing the type of food we most like and looking for pescetarian recipes rather than meat recipes as we only eat meat about once a month. Not that I need to explain myself to grumpy people.
    And while you're trying to correct me I might as well correct your grammar, it's you're not your, if we're being picky.
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Thank you for the lovely suggestions, very helpful, cheers x
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not pescatarian, but used to eat meatless a lot. Still eat a lot of fish, but it sounds like you don't need ideas there.

I second the idea about vegetarian cookbooks, as well as just searching around for blogs. One of my old favorites, vegan yum yum, seems not to have been active for a while, but the are some recipes--not sure if you can get to all the old ones, and I know the author has a cookbook now. Another that has a lot of recipes that might interest you, and you can search by ingredient, is 101cookbooks.

For tofu, one easy thing is just stir fries. That's what I usually do with it. I couldn't tell if you were already doing that--it sounded like maybe not. Just cut up and pan fry or cook in your wok (if you have one, I don't and just use a skillet) and remove first and add back in when the other ingredients are cooked. One of my old standbys from vegan yum yum, which is super fast and easy, involved cooking rice separately (brown, but either works), cooking tofu and then carrots, and then broccoli on a wok or skillet, although again go with the vegetables that sound good to you, adding everything back and keeping it at low until the rice is ready (you should try to time this so it's not much of a wait). Then add a little rice vinegar, soy sauce, and oil if desired--again, adjust to meet you dietary preferences--plus some Japanese seven spice, which I highly recommend tracking down, it's delicious and to my taste transforms a simple stir fry.
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    ^^^ yum! Thank you. No I don't currently cook with tofu as I'm never sure what do with it. Had it a couple times in ready meals and it was flavourless but that sounds good!
  • mariosdog
    mariosdog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites are salmon with ginger flavored couscous and pan-seared trout (in sesame oil and lemon zest) and jasmine rice, both of the fish recipes are easy to find via google. As an aside, be careful with the tofu and soy-based products they can really do a number on you and your thyroid. I know you need to get protein but nuts, seeds and even kale are a healthier alternative.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:

Wild sockeye salmon tacos with black beans and cilantro
    Polenta with shredded chicken or tempeh, tomato sauce, and roasted red peppers
    Barley, tofu and spinach salad with miso dressing (link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/barley-tofu-and-spinach-salad-miso-dressing/13830/)
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Some of my favorites are salmon with ginger flavored couscous and pan-seared trout (in sesame oil and lemon zest) and jasmine rice, both of the fish recipes are easy to find via google. As an aside, be careful with the tofu and soy-based products they can really do a number on you and your thyroid. I know you need to get protein but nuts, seeds and even kale are a healthier alternative.

I didn't know this? What happens?