morning exercise during a metabolism reset

Options
I've decided to embark on the metabolism reset journey, but I'm a sucker for the high caloric burns before breakfast & before/after dinner. 6-7 days a week I work out twice a day for maybe 10-15 minutes of cardio (jogging on the road & 5 minutes or so of stretching. [if I have time I do a quick ab workout]) and then after (sometimes before) dinner I go for another run and then do some kind of high intensity cardiovascular exercise. but during the reset, I'm assuming I should cut back?
I do love my before-breakfast morning workouts though, it makes me feel like I'm really kick starting my poor (hopefully on the road to recovery)metabolism for the day, so I was wondering what other exercise I could do to replace my morning cardio but stil feel like it's effective and I'm waking my metabolism? like, maybe just a walk instead of running/jogging? yoga?

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you can't reset or kick start your metabolism

*has visions of someone attaching jump leads to a human, Frankenstein style...*

what are you trying to do really? Have a week of eating at or above maintenance? Have a rest week from your workout? If it's the former you can still do your workouts, just eat back all the exercise calories from them so you stay at or above maintenance. If you're having a rest week from your workouts then you should skip your morning workouts too.

If it's not that, can you explain?
  • vilasini2
    vilasini2 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am a bit biased when it comes to yoga, but there are some fantastic energy yoga flows. These are fantastic for morning and evening. As you move with breath, you help to speed up metabolism, increase muscle strength, massage internal organs, focus your mind and relax you all at the same time. And that is just a few benefits off the top of my head. Check out you tube for vinyasa flows, or salute to the sun, go to a class or buy DVD's. And enjoy.
    Not sure what you mean to metabolism reset, but whatever, yoga will be good for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i dont understand what morning exercise or any exercise has to do with "metabolism reset"…

if you are trying to damage your metabolism from underrating..then you are going to need to eat at about maintenance or slightly about for three to four weeks….

exercise timing has nothing to do with it...
  • velveture
    velveture Posts: 16
    Options

what are you trying to do really? Have a week of eating at or above maintenance? Have a rest week from your workout? If it's the former you can still do your workouts, just eat back all the exercise calories from them so you stay at or above maintenance. If you're having a rest week from your workouts then you should skip your morning workouts too.

have you heard of metabolism reset from eat more 2 weight less (EM2WL)? If not, maybe look it up because that is what i'm trying to do. :)
  • velveture
    Options
    i dont understand what morning exercise or any exercise has to do with "metabolism reset"…

if you are trying to damage your metabolism from underrating..then you are going to need to eat at about maintenance or slightly about for three to four weeks….

exercise timing has nothing to do with it...

I understand that, but i don't want my workouts to be so hectic while i'm going into reset, so basically my question was what are some subs for jogging in the morning. Sorry, my mistake, i worded it incorrectly.
  • velveture
    Options
    I am a bit biased when it comes to yoga, but there are some fantastic energy yoga flows. These are fantastic for morning and evening. As you move with breath, you help to speed up metabolism, increase muscle strength, massage internal organs, focus your mind and relax you all at the same time. And that is just a few benefits off the top of my head. Check out you tube for vinyasa flows, or salute to the sun, go to a class or buy DVD's. And enjoy.
    Not sure what you mean to metabolism reset, but whatever, yoga will be good for you.
    Thank you so much, i'll try some yoga tomorrow morning then instead! :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

have you heard of metabolism reset from eat more 2 weight less (EM2WL)? If not, maybe look it up because that is what i'm trying to do. :)

It's not a scientific term and different people mean different things by it, and not all of what a lot of people mean by it is based in any science.

why do you think you need to do a "metabolism reset"?

if you were undereating/overexercising before, to what extent was this going on and for how long?

Have you lost lean mass and/or seen any decline in strength?

what's your goal?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's hard to answer the original question without this info
  • velveture
    Options

It's not a scientific term and different people mean different things by it, and not all of what a lot of people mean by it is based in any science.

if you were undereating/overexercising before, to what extent was this going on and for how long?

what's your goal?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's hard to answer the original question without this info
    I feel I need a metabolism reset because I've hit a plateau and for the past 3-6 months I've been feelings sluggish, fatigued, very VERY irritable, hair loss, unruly cravings, insomnia and just in general, not as good as I used to feel. I was not even getting to 1200 calories and that's before I even worked out.
    I feel mentally weaker and I'm not sure about the physical side, perhaps.
    My goal is to drop that last stubborn bit of body fat & tone up overall
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

what's your goal?

I feel I need a metabolism reset because I've hit a plateau and for the past 3-6 months I've been feelings sluggish, fatigued, very VERY irritable, hair loss, unruly cravings, insomnia and just in general, not as good as I used to feel. I was not even getting to 1200 calories and that's before I even worked out.
    I feel mentally weaker and I'm not sure about the physical side, perhaps.
    My goal is to drop that last stubborn bit of body fat & tone up overall

OK - so up your calories to maintenance level for about four weeks and work out when you want to …after about four weeks slowly start backing them off by about 100 a week and see how it goes…

the exercise portion of this has nothing to do with the eating more portion of it…