Caller all smokers!

Options
sry about the spelling lol IDK why i wrote caller LMAO i meant CALLING!!!!!
I dont even know if any of you smoke but i DO and I want to QUIT b/c I cant breathe past the stabbing constricting feeling of my lungs when I try to exercise and I'm DONE ! I'll be honest I LIKE to smoke, I enjoy it BUT my health needs to start coming FIRST in my life!! So if anyone else wants to kick cigarettes out of their lives join me and we can support each other ! I KNOW its hard I KNOW you'll get mad and irritable and all that HORRIBLE stuff but come on... a few weeks of irritability or a (possibly SHORT) lifetime of struggle?Let me know if anyone is interested I dont think I can do this on my own !

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Good luck! Quitting smoking is the single most beneficial thing you can do for your health. I quit two years ago and know that I would not be able to run five k now if I hadn't. I never cough and do not get stabbing chest pain when I exercise. It is worth the hard work. GOOD LUCK!
  • aprildauer
    Options
    Im on day 16 of no smoking. Good luck to you. It was hard but not as hard as I thought it was going to be. And I do still have times I want a smoke. But I refuse to even take another drag.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a couple years back and I feel soooooo great now :) Keep up the good work, it's worth it :)
  • dfwtxmissy
    Options
    I am on week 8 of not smoking...I had my doctor prescribe Chantix and it worked amazingly well....I feel so much better, I can taste foods, I can breathe. I can smell things. It is amazing.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Im going to cut back this weekend and stop on monday. My plan is , when I catch myself going to grab a cigarette, turn away and go for a walk/jog... i do NOT feel like smoking after I walk/jog
  • littleschubie
    Options
    You can do it. Your natural instinct is to quit smoking because your body knows it's being poisioned. Once you quit, your going to say, ' what the hell was i doing' . Smoking is nuts. And Expensive. I quit 11 months ago...i am so happy, i cant begin to tell you. i love my new life without those stinky, cancer sticks. Believe in yourself...i do.
  • lkwilkey
    Options
    Good luck to you. You can do it. I was a two -three pack a day smoker. I quit in February this year it took about two weeks I just cut down so many everyday till I was having about 2 aday then none. I had to cause of health reasons they said my arteries in my neck are blocked. I felt like I was killing myself by keeping smoking. So Im on my road to getting healthy now. Good luck again.....Im cheering you on...and drink lots of water....
  • one90proof
    Options
    I am on day 15 using the patch. The first few days suck but it gets easier. I still feel vulnerable but am at the point where I KNOW I will not smoke again. If you slip dont give up. Keep trying. Good luck.
  • Iluvcheezits
    Iluvcheezits Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am SO in this boat with you. Im trying to cut down but Im finding it hard. I have started the cut back. I started with baby steps..not in the car....then not after 8, not after 6 now at not after 4 pm so slowly but surely Im closing my window. Maybe try something like that?
  • sgssmile
    Options
    I quit 4 years ago with the help of chantix I'm not sure I could have done it without it. I was only on it for about 6 weeks but it was amazing, I continued to smoke for almost 3 weeks but they starting tasting so bad that you just didn't want them any more. It was a hard few months, I had to give up coffee and going to the bar it was just too tempting for me. I did gain some weight but it was worth it, I have lost almost all of it now. I never realized how much it controlled my life besides the health and expense issues. Good luck and keep trying, use what ever it takes to help you. You will be very proud of yourself and your friends and family will be very happy :flowerforyou:
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I quit 15 months ago using the electronic cigarette. This product saved my life! I had no cravings and no withdrawal. My pulmonologidst even gave me the thumbs up for it. If you've tried everything else, give it a go. I love it! I breathe sooo much better, and I'm working my way up to a 5K. I have emphysema from smoking, and I jog three times a week while using this. It works! Good luck!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,623 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix under doctor supervision. His wife had used it 2 1/2 years ago to quit, so was encouraged to call for any questions or concerns. This is my fourth attempt to quit. The first lasted 1 week till the first big fight with then boyfriend (cold turkey). The second attempt was with the patch (only two weeks), gained 55 pounds, started smoking. (Never did loose all that, but back to livable weight) Third time quit for 8 months also but migraines drove me back to smokes. I have now been quit 7 months. I too enjoyed smoking. Migraines are under control this time. Weight gain sent me to MFP. I know I am healthier. Support is the absolute best motivator! If you decide to try Chantix make sure to use the support system. Good luck! Your family and friends will be proud of you too!
  • suzie1983
    Options
    i too want to quit...but im so scared of the weight gain...im working so hard to lose these 35 lbs of extra weight...i dont want to go backwards...if you want support and to knock this out together id love to help and get support as well....plus it would get my doc off my back about it
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    i too want to quit...but im so scared of the weight gain...im working so hard to lose these 35 lbs of extra weight...i dont want to go backwards...if you want support and to knock this out together id love to help and get support as well....plus it would get my doc off my back about it
    I think the weight gain is b/c of the tendency to over eat to try to fill the "void" but I think if we turn our energy to exercise we can do this ! When we want a cig we turn away and exercise... when we want to snack we turn away and exercise, I do this now while trying to stay under my calorie goal and it does work for me I just have to keep doing it until I get so tired and mad at myself I end up sayung "FINE I WONT EAT IT!"
  • live4something
    live4something Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my one year anniversary since I quit smoking. I have gained 30 pounds in the last year. I think if I would have know about MFP, it really would have helped. I think I ate more because I was bored. I had all of this extra time and didn't know what to do with myself. I will be honest, the first two months are the hardest. They say it takes 21 days for all of the toxins to leave your body, but I am telling you, it takes one person to rub your the wrong way before you want to light up again. You just have to stay focused. I promise, it is worth it. Aside from my health, my motivation was $$$$. One pack is almost $6 here in Houston, so I kept reminding myself how much money I was saving. Now, I can't even stand the smell of it. Plus, my daughter and I rarely get sick anymore. While I was smoking, we both constantly had upper resp infections. Best of luck! Stay focused! You can do this!
  • jedicoffeemaster9457
    Options
    I quit about a year ago today with the help of wellbution, you might try that. Didn't become irritated or anything just quit, but did put on weight. Thats why I am here now,
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Today is day 27 for me. I quit cold turkey and it is such a great feeling.
  • jjustjo
    jjustjo Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I quit 15 months ago using the electronic cigarette. This product saved my life! I had no cravings and no withdrawal. My pulmonologidst even gave me the thumbs up for it. If you've tried everything else, give it a go. I love it! I breathe sooo much better, and I'm working my way up to a 5K. I have emphysema from smoking, and I jog three times a week while using this. It works! Good luck!

My husband and I both quit using the e-cig. We were both 2+ packs a day. We've never looked back, nor wanted another cig since. It's been 9 months. FYI: neither one of us gained a pound.
  • chladky
    Options
    I started using the E-cig in February of this year and have not looked back. I was smoking a pack plus a day, and so far I have not gained any weight. They are definitely to easier way to go about quiting.
  • Danilouise86
    Options
    I just started using the E-Cig as well. It may not be as admiral as quitting cold turkey, but in my case, thats a less practical goal right now. I like it so much more than smoking already and I can definitely see it as an aid to quit. After 8 years, I will one day say that I am 100 % smoke (and nicotine) free.