Looking for a good quality protein powder :)

Options
Hi there. I'm looking for an affordable but good quality protein whey isolate powder. I've done a lot of research. I found a brand I really want to try called About Time but am having troubles finding it locally in Canada.
What I'm looking for is as natural as possible. I'd like to avoid as many chemicals as possible. Any Tips? Thanks.

Amanda

Replies

• Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Also I'm curious about Optimum Nutrition brand. It looks like the most popular. Is it the best you think?
  • debr1126
    debr1126 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like "Biochem 100% Whey, Natural Flavor": 80 calories per serving, 20 g protein, < 1% carbs. Ingredients: Ultra-filtered/Micro-Filtered (UF/MF) whey protein isolate, natural vanilla flavor, xanthan gum, lecithin.

You can buy it on Amazon, or check Whole Foods if you have on in your area.

I've been using the local drugstore (CVS) protein instead, because ... well, it's convenient (I have a CVS less than 2 blocks from my house) & less expensive. Look at the ingredients, though: Protein-Amino Acid Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, L-Leucine, Partially Hydrolyzed Whey Protein, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine, L-Glutamine), Maltodextrin, Creatine Monohydrate, Nondairy Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono-A and Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Lecithin, Tocopherols), Natural & Artificial Flavors, Guar Gum, Cellulose Gum, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Papain, Amylase.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Thanks. That looks like a lot of chemicals though!
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    I tried ordering the brand About Time off of amazon and it wouldn't ship here. Thinking they must not be able to ship it to Canada. Might have same problem with other brands too.
  • debr1126
    debr1126 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it IS a lot of chemicals--that's what I was trying to point out! I think I'm going to finish the jar and go back to the Biochem.

I looked it up on Amazon Canada:

http://www.amazon.ca/Biochem-100%-Whey-Protein-Natural/dp/B0015QSUD2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1398008183&amp;sr=8-5&amp;keywords=biochem+100%+natural+=

The Optimum Nutrition brand has Acesulfame Potassium, an artificial sweetener that's kind of iffy. I mean, I care about those things, but then I'll turn around and eat something with a shopping list of chemicals in it, so I'm only throwing it out there FYI.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Thanks. I appreciate it! =D
    I never thought to look at amazon Canada. Duh. Lol.
  • projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold is pretty much the go-to powder for most people. It's essentially #1 selling everywhere. The taste is okay (not offensive) and each scoop is 80% protein (24g of 30g).

However, my personal favorite is the Chocolate from the Muscletech Phase 8 line. The taste is much, much better (even when mixed with larger amounts of water). The drawback is that the powder is only about 61% protein (26g of 41g). It also has 7g carbs (compared to 3g carbs of ON) which matters to some people. I actually need more carbs in my macro nutrients so it's fine for me.

Finally, price. I pretty much buy everything from Amazon, Woot or Bodybuilding; depending on what's on sale. ON is about $1.18 per serving and Phase 8 is about $1.08 per serving, but the Phase 8 goes on sale WAY more often. I've had buy-one get-one's, buy-one get bonus stuff (currently on bodybuilding) and Woot has Phase 8 semi-often at steep discounts. I've never seen ON on sale anywhere for significantly less than what I posted above.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll look into those.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm looking for an affordable but good quality protein whey isolate powder. I've done a lot of research. I found a brand I really want to try called About Time but am having troubles finding it locally in Canada.
    What I'm looking for is as natural as possible. I'd like to avoid as many chemicals as possible. Any Tips? Thanks.

Amanda

i take about time, i loveeeeeeee it! i order mine through amazon, maybe see if they ship to canada?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Tip:

Check the serving size. If a serving for EXAMPLE... is 50g .... and it's only 20g of protein per serving.... it's a trash powder.

I recommend Cellucor or Myofusion. Optimum Nutrition is VERY watery and the flavors are super bland.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options

Amanda

i take about time, i loveeeeeeee it! i order mine through amazon, maybe see if they ship to canada?
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    They don't ship to Canada :(
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    K thanks! :)
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'd go for Elite Natural if you go to Popeye's Supplements they have an exclusive 6lb size. It's excellent quality and naturally sweetened with stevia
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Sweet! Thanks. I'll check out Popeyes tomorrow!
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    No problem :)
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    Thought I'd add, I just looked up the About Time protein you were wondering about and it's extremely comparable to Elite All natural :)
    Elite does go through Informed Choice testing (highest form of supplement testing I the industry) so you know it's a good, clean product. Elite is also very well known for it's amazing taste :)
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Awesome! :happy:
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Thought I'd add, I just looked up the About Time protein you were wondering about and it's extremely comparable to Elite All natural :)
    Elite does go through Informed Choice testing (highest form of supplement testing I the industry) so you know it's a good, clean product. Elite is also very well known for it's amazing taste :)

I ended up getting this elite all natural. Thanks everyone for the tips!