Giving up Alcohol?

Options
2»

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I had to quit drinking for a minimum of a year due to surgery. I now realize that I drank a LOT more then I realized. It's been hard but I decided that my life wasn't going to end if I couldn't have my rum when ever I wanted. Lol
  • dwassell73
    dwassell73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a bartender this is my biggest problem as I feel rude if a customer wants to buy me a shot and i say I'm no sorry can't do it for my diet its a social thing and not everything I work like 1-2 days a week and sometimes not at all
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    dwassell73 wrote: »
    As a bartender this is my biggest problem as I feel rude if a customer wants to buy me a shot and i say I'm no sorry can't do it for my diet its a social thing and not everything I work like 1-2 days a week and sometimes not at all
    I had a friend who was a bartender. She would take shots if people bought her one, then act like she was chasing it with a swig of beer but it was an empty bottle she would spit the shot into. It made her feel bad but it was the only way she could survive her shifts. Lol
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink anymore, simply because I know that it is a lot of calories that I just don't need. If we have friends over, or it's an occasion, then I am happy to have some though. I do love my wine, and beer, and would never totally cut it out. I just don't buy it to drink, and keep it as a special treat to have sometimes. Although now I am so much more of a lightweight!
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Nope. Can't do it
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I stopped 8/13 because it took up too much time, money & good health. Not drinking makes life, for me, a lot less complicated. Drinking is a racket (in my opinion) and I don't like being conned. I have no desire to ever go back.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Only until payday when I can buy more wine.
  • TAnne123
    TAnne123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Drinking (and my other bad habit which makes me ravenous) is seriously hindering my attempts at weight loss. :\ I'm sick of this cycle. It stops now.
  • TAnne123
    TAnne123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I keep trying to quit, make it a few days, then give in. I really need to stop. I am stuck on the last 10 Ibsen I want to lose and am using alcohol to avoid doing things I should be getting accomplished but after a stressful or long day it really takes the edge off. But it's a really bad habit that I need to break.

Can totally relate
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've given it up twice for a period of time. First time was when I quit smoking (I know, gross) about 10 years ago. I realized drinking derailed my efforts so I quit both for about a half a year until I was able to enjoy a beer without feeling like I needed that cigarette with it (again, ewe.) Second time was when I changed my eating habits and started logging here. Not that I ever really drank a lot (maybe 1-3 times per month I'd have a couple beers or a glass of wine,) but I honestly didn't have a drop of alcohol for months. Drinking any calories when you are only eating 1200-1500 seemed absurd to me. At first it did effect my social life a bit (as did logging my food and stuff since all my friends did together was go out to eat and drink and I had trouble going out and not doing the same.) After I got used to my new habits and became a bit more balanced, I was able to become more social again though. I can now have a beer or a glass of wine whenever I want it and I can find something within my calorie range to eat wherever I go (though I don't always want to stay within because sometimes it feels good to just throw caution to the wind and enjoy myself.) However, I do find that I am more than okay to go out and have a good time without drinking at all, it's something you can certainly get used to and more often than not, I'm thankful when I don't.

So yeah, I felt like quitting (at least temporarily) was a good idea for me and I'm happy I did. I know everyone is different though so you have to find out what works for you. Just make sure whatever you do is indeed, working for you. :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'm hopping on the drytrain for at least until next time I go visit my sis (who will force me to drink red wine with her at gunpoint if necessary haha). I demolished some cheese with mustard and chipolte pepper last night, and I don't feel as good as I want to this morning and besides, for a female, it's supposed to be one 5 oz glass, not two and a half!