Having a hard time getting enough calories...

CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that sounds a little crazy, but I am having a REALLY hard time getting 1200 calories/day. My goal is set to 1550, but I can't seem to get there. I eat healthy foods throughout the day but then it gets to the end of the day and I still have 400-500 left.
Last night I thought I would make a smoothie with almond milk, flax seed, strawberries, and blueberries but that only added 230 calories. I ended just shy of my net 1200.
Today I have only eaten a little over 1000 and have exercised so I burned almost 300. Basically, I need to eat another 500-ish calories but I'm close on sodium because I was dumb and had turkey lunch meat without checking the nutrition label to find out it was loaded with salt. I will be tossing the lunch meat, which my husband just bought, so I don't end up making that mistake again (I usually don't come anywhere near my sodium limit because I am generally not a fan of salty foods).
Here's my conundrum: If I eat more, I am definitely going to go over my sodium alottment, which is something I almost never do, but I can't think of any food that has 500 calories and less than 45 mg of sodium.
Suggestions, anyone?

Replies

• rokikio
    rokikio Posts: 92
    Wish I had some advice to give on that but I am in the same boat. Some days I do okay and other days I am struggling to figure out what to eat so I don' t fall at least under 1200 calories.
  • How about unsalted nuts?
  • CoryIda
    They are great for protein but don't actually add all that many calories - I had almonds for a snack today and it only added 180 calories.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I've been focusing on my sodium lately, and keeping my calories around 1200-1300 the past week. I dropped a ton of weight this week from it. I eat oatmeal or a Vitatop for breakfast, low sodium. Lunch is often a salad, which is low on sodium too except for a small scoop of cottage cheese for protein. My dinners are usually the higher sodium meals since I eat out of the freezer a lot. But I also have a protein shake every night after my workout. Snacks that are low in sodium are greek yogurt, plain nuts (I like 100 calorie pack of almonds), Kashi TLC granola bars, regular yogurt, string cheese... those are my favorites. Filling too.
  • CoryIda
    oh, I probably should mention that I am allergic to milk products
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    A good fat free, sugar free snack: 1 Snyder's Sour Dough pretzel -- 110 calories. Nuts and seeds have fats but they are the kind that you should be eating. Walnuts are very good as are almonds. Peanut butter on a multi grain cracker will add plenty of calories and is not too difficult to eat.
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    oh, I probably should mention that I am allergic to milk products

Maybe a glass or two of juice or almond milk between meals? You can get the calcium fortified kind, to make sure you are getting the nutirents you need while adding in a few extra calories.
  • You need to add more healthy fats throughout the day. Cook something in a tablespoon of olive oil instead of non stick spray, add a handfull of nuts to everything, walnuts are real good, try some alvacado. Fats are high calorie choices, but we all need some MUFAs with every meal and since you are low on calories it is an easy way to get them up.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    I'd say a slice or two of peanut butter toast on whole wheat bread would boost you up. most breads have ~100 calories a slice and then the peanut butter would help too. Bananas are also good for calories and some carbs, but low on fat and sodium. They also help with potassium which is good for muscle repair and helps alleviate soreness after w workout. If you're a little over on sodium, just drink an extra glass or two of water and that should help wash it right on out.
  • Maybe try some avacado on whole wheat bread, crackers, or a tortilla? Definitely mix in some unsalted nuts to your morning oatmeal or snacks throughout the day. If you add them to the snack you already had planned you're getting good fats and some more calories.
  • CoryIda
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I need to snack more - I am eating nuts most days, but maybe I will add some more since I always have a dozen or more grams of fat left over at the end of the day. I LOVE avocados and eat them at least a couple of times a week. I drank 10 cups of water today, hopefully that helps flush a little of the sodium out as I ended about 200 mg over my goal so I could get a few more calories in (I came in at around 1300 consumed but not net, but at least I did get them up a little).
    My weigh in is Sunday - we'll see how things go from there!
This discussion has been closed.